Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

INSPIRE, a beginners 'virtual' runners club. Read Page1 please

82,401 to 82,420 of 82,753 messages
09/05/2012 at 12:52

Good luck Booey. Wet weather is great for a PB. Well it usually is for me anyway.

09/05/2012 at 19:34

Good luck/well done Booey. I hope you remained dryish.

TL-I hope you enjoyed the upper body stuff and do try to be patient with your recovery.

Last nights plod was one of those where everything felt wrong but on reflection the pace was at the top end of easy. Tonights was okay as well. Long run tomorrow night as I don't want to be out too long on the weekend with S doing the moonwalk on Saturday night.

10/05/2012 at 09:13

Yaay I got a PB of 58.39  splits 28.30 and 28.47

Very lucky as the night was awful but didn't actually rain whilst running

I think the novelty has worn off of running round the Silverstone track, its so boring on the long straights  and it was twice round the same which makes it even worse.

10/05/2012 at 11:23

Booey

10/05/2012 at 21:12

Well done Booey.

I return from tonights long run with tails of mixed succcess. On the good side I did it and it proves again that my determination to continue can overcome my legs desire to stop. On the bad side it was bloody horrible. It came on the back of 3 days running when I normally rest the day before and also after a full and busy day at work when I normally do long runs in the morning all nice and refreshed.

Even the Garmin didn't want to go tonight - it took 3 attempts to get it to lock on to the sats.

The marafun plan starts for real next week - I can already see this is going to be a long, trying and tiring 19 weeks

Edited: 10/05/2012 at 21:24
10/05/2012 at 22:04

Not as long and trying as my next 19 weeks Mykey. I am starting out with a calf injury  and I won't even start my 20 week training program until 3 weeks into it. It's gonna be an 'orrible Summer.

Good for you for getting out there and doing it. Wish I could. Have to be content with 2 days back to back upper body weight sesh's in the gym. I shall look like Arnie soon at this rate.

Good news is leg is feeling much much better. Sore in places but I can get my heels down, do stairs without pain and the odd niggle just feels like cramp, nothing pulling or hurting much. Advie is to get some gentle massage on it at the weekend and deeper early next week and if that feels OK then a very gentle couple of miles mid-week and take it from there. By then I shall be climbing the walls and chewing the carpet.

11/05/2012 at 08:55

TL - glad calf is recovering, few more days and hopefully you will be able to give it a test

Mykey - sounds like you didn't enjoy your run to much  but like you say, you did it and proved your mind can overule your legs

I was thinking about the mind over body when I was running round Silverstone the other night but it kind of worked the other way  on those boring long straights my head was saying have a little walk for a minute, but my body wasn't tired at all and I wasn't struggling for breath etc so I was fighting with another side of my mind that was saying 'don't be so stupid'   I didn't walk at all and glad I didn't but amazing what the mind does to you.  I think for future possible boring races I may have to start listening to music

11/05/2012 at 09:55

Hello all

Mykey - well done on getting ou there despite everything What mara plan are you following?

Booey - congratulations on your PB...fantastic

Tl- pleased your calf appears to be improving..take is slowly!

I did a swim instead of a run yesterday morning  and did a Zumba class last night. Foot didn't hurt at all, so will try a run tomorrow.

Very stressful time at the moment, oldest daughter at 17 thinks she know best...can't stop her making a huge mistake I definately need to run!

12/05/2012 at 10:31

Booey-plenty of other more interesting races around

TL-glad the leg is feeling better. I'm sure you'll be fine with the marafun training - 'cos you is 'ard I'd suggest no more badminton though as cross training.

Mad-I'm doing the Pfitzinger & Douglas 18 week upto 55 miles. I've added an extra week when on hols and need to build up to close the 33 mile start week. Good luck with your daughter - I'm sure it will al turn out for the best but I can't help remembering a quote by Mark Twain "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

Today's run done and now help S get ready for tonight. I'm nervous for her and a bit upset that I can't suppport her the way she supported me last year. At least she is doing it with a load of friends.

Edited: 12/05/2012 at 11:32
12/05/2012 at 11:40

Hello all

Mykey - well done on the running..thanks for the words of wisdom! I wish S the best for tonight

I went you this morning, really tired but did manage 5.3 miles (mix of walking and running). No energy at all but desperately needed to get out there! Foot is a little sore now but not too bad 

12/05/2012 at 16:47

Mad-well done on getting out there.

S has arrived in London. Twas a bit emotional setting her off. Now she's hassling me via FB chat from MY computer

13/05/2012 at 07:39

Mykey, that schedule is  for serious runners and advanced marathoners (and you call ME 'ard!!) 

Well done S for completeing the moonwalk and well done Mad for getting out there and running.

Off to Lymington this morning to cheer on lovely mates who are doing only their second ever 10K. I should be running too but I have torn my race number up as I would be soooo tempted to run with them. Resting is driving me nuts but at least I can do some upper body and abs stuff so all is not lost. I am official team photographer instead today.Bit sad actually that I can't run. Leg feels good today, I have been rubbing comfrey oil on it and it seems to a) be having an effect or b) leg is just healing naturally. Have a lovely day, it's beautiful down here and I've just seen my first baby Mallard of the year .

13/05/2012 at 09:54

She's finished Currently in the First AId tent as she tripped up and face planted some concrete near the end. S assures me she is fine

TL-I may have bitten off more than I can chew but we shall see. I'm already considering taking the recovery runs down a mile to make them really easy. The difference between my easy long distance pace and marathon pace is not significant (I take walking breaks on the easy ones to open up the gap) that it shouldn't make much of a difference. In my world a plan is only a basis for change...

13/05/2012 at 12:42

That was an interesting morning, waved mates off at start of 10k then wandered around the sports kit stands, coffee bar etc and noticed sports massage lady twiddling her thumbs. I talked to her about my leg and she asked me to hop up onto bench and she'd give it a prod.  Ten mins later she assessed that gastroc is fine apart from a few adhesions which is normal for runners, no tears or anything but it was under stress as was the soleus due to the most ridiculously tight achilles tendon. This she thinks is causing all my niggles (knee, plantar). She's given me some excercises, recommended at least one massage a week and told me to keep up the squats to strengthen glutes and said I should see a podiatrist to get my big toes looked at . Basically my whole leg is out of kilter. A customised orthotic might be the answer. Sounds expensive.

13/05/2012 at 12:43

(((S))), a face is not the right tool to plant concrete. OOh, ouch!

13/05/2012 at 13:31

Mykey - I have the book, but not sure if I could follow the schedules! Hope S is okay

TL - hope the advice from massage lady helps!

13/05/2012 at 15:13

Thanks ladies. S's photos up on FB via her friend you should be able to see them. I can't see any lasting damage but apparently her knees are in a bit of a mess.

TL-I hope she does help. Heel drops for my achilles are a daily occurance.

Mad-I really liked the book; it explained everything really well and helped me understand where I went wrong on the last marathon.

Edited: 13/05/2012 at 16:46
14/05/2012 at 09:28

Hi Guys

Hope you all had a good one, I only managed 3.4 miles friday then a 6.2 yesterday but enjoyed in the sunshine  we got loads of gardening done and everywhere looks lovely again

Mykey - hope S is all OK

TL - Massage sounded interesting and hope it helped

Mad - well done on getting out and hope things at home are sorting themselves out

I think I am going to enter the second race in the EMGP Series on Weds, its in Rugby so very close to home.  Not registered so will decide on the night

14/05/2012 at 20:20

Hello all

Booey - well done on your 3.4 and 6.2..amd the gardening! Good luke with the EMGP race on Weds!

Mykey - how is S?

I did a short (3K) run on the treadmill this morning, feeling very tired and foot sore! Didi a few weights in the gym but nothing very strenuous!

14/05/2012 at 20:31

Evening all

Booey-good luck for tomorrow

Mad-well done on the run and weights. Did the foot behave?

Run 1 of the marafun plan complete. It was a tempo and I didn't think I was going to able to maintain the pace but plan said 8:22-8:33 mm and it was 8:32 avg

S has a lovely black eye from her fall but is wearing it with pride.

Edited: 14/05/2012 at 21:17
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.