Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

INSPIRE, a beginners 'virtual' runners club. Read Page1 please

82,581 to 82,600 of 82,753 messages
29/06/2012 at 00:04
Bites!!! Ouch. My arms are covered in them, I gave up counting when I reached a dozen on my first arm.
29/06/2012 at 06:45
Used to love running barefooted on the athletics track, but always got really told off by my coach. It's such a nice feeling - running barefooted that is not being told off
29/06/2012 at 06:50
Use deet before going out mossies hate the the stuff.

Off out for a gods tester on the achillesin a bit going to try a straight 20 minute run to see how it holds up, let you know later
29/06/2012 at 09:06
That should read good tester lol

Run managed - did just over 1.7 miles with no pain!! I now know I can step it up about more, I'm one happy bunny now
29/06/2012 at 14:34

Hoorah for Dee and Deet.

Well done on your run. The hillocks are a tad itchy today . I managed 7.6 this morning against the wind and the rain. Here's one for the mathematicians: I am running at about 6.5 miles per hour and the wind is hitting me at 40mph.

1) how fast am I actually going (I did think I was going backwards at one point so must have covered the same piece of ground at least 3 times - forward, back, forward),

2) how far did I actually travel in an hour and 11 minutes and;

3) do I get a prize for getting back in one piece?

29/06/2012 at 15:36
Dunno about the first two but the 3rds a yes !
29/06/2012 at 21:58

TL-1. Your ground speed was 6.5 miles an hour.

2. 7.6 miles

However, you were having to work harder to overcome the additional drag (or air resistance) which is relative to the square of the velocity of the air you were moving through. So if everything else remained the same roughly 50 times harder than if you were running at the saem pace in still air...I think.

3. Yes

Another good run this morning which means tomorrows might not go quite as well.

Edited: 29/06/2012 at 22:00
29/06/2012 at 22:29

hi mykey

ran this morning, back before 7.30, my earliest yet i think.

however, p.f. in left foot worse for rest of day, needed a lift home from work, so . . .

i'll ask doc for injection on tues, tho i'm quite anxious about it.

pain is exhausting and i feel v low

avon's skin so soft spray oil (yes, avon) is THE magic anti-mossie stuff - the sas guys use it - no word of a lie. and my gentleman friend and i used it in argyll and it kept all away and doesnt smell bad.

01/07/2012 at 21:09

Mykey,  so that's good then?

1) that's what I thought, 2) ditto, I worked everso hard espesh as some of it was uphill and into the wind. What I didn't mention  was that for half the run I had the wind on my back and there were also some downhill bits too,  3)   

How was your long run? I was in London for the weekend, got back at 5:30, went out for an 8 miler with another 9 to be bagged in the morning - to mate's, with mate, back from mate. A 5 on  Tuesday, last running school on Wednesday, got a 13 planned for Thursday and a rest day on Friday. Something will happen on Saturday, not sure what yet.

Sarah, do injections help pf? I know about Avon so soft. it's good stuff when I remember to put it on! Well done for getting out there. I too am usually an early bird.

The big news is that I may run with the club on Tuesday night.  Watch this space.

03/07/2012 at 11:34

Not run since Fri  MIL been with us and its been stressful, she departed this morning  also had hospital yesterday re rheumatoid arthritis, consultant did ultra sound on them and we could see lots of inflammation etc so confirmed yes thats what I have and it also jumps round my body and of recent been affecting my knees  so I start meds this week which can take upto 3 months to work if my body accepts them  so had a steroid injection in my bottom  which will help me for a couple of months  I have to have blood tests every 2 weeks  fingers crossed that in the coming months I get out of bed and feel my age not 80

Well done everyone on your running, I shall be out tonight for one myself thats for sure

I also knew about the Avon skin so soft and its what the SAS use, I actually cant stand the smell of it but if I ever go to the jungle I will use it

03/07/2012 at 21:17

Hi folks.

Sorry I've not been around. I'm having a bit of a 'mare with work and personal stuff messing with my head and running has taken a bit of a back step for the mo. As Arnie said "I'll be back" but at the moment Garbo's "I vant to be a looon" is more appropriate...

Keep calm and Jog on

03/07/2012 at 21:30

evening twiglet_legs, mykey et al,

had the injection this morning - WOWZERS that was SORE!

relief was in minutes, lasted quite a few hours and then a gentle ache returned, which i knew would happen (its not a miracle cure)

even tho initially pain-free, i still stepped gently and got a taxi home and did nothing else all aday, and have arranged lifts to/from work tomorrow and thurs, so . .

wish me luck for friday morning - if pain free i trot again!

booey, i empathise -  i had those jabs in both my hips at one time or another, and it is similar one i had in heel today.

03/07/2012 at 21:36

Booey, ouch ouch ouch

Sarah, ouch ouch ouch.

Mykey, you look nothing like Garbo.

I ran with the club tonight. It was kinda good but I got told off for running too fast with the novices and shouting "C'mon" and leading them though cowshit infested puddles . I enjoyed it though. Kit is in the garage, I daren't bring it into the house

03/07/2012 at 21:53

hahahahaha!

have you seen . .  there is a thread all about dirty laundry?

'what do you do with your sweaty gear' or something . . .  .

wise move to bani sh-it to the garage . . . .

04/07/2012 at 06:32
Ouch to cortisone injections had one in my elbow many years ago. Funny thing is its didn't hurt having it done it was a hour later! Going for a twenty minute run in a bit , then out for a 25ish one Friday all being well.
Went to fat fighters lost more weight only 10lb to go till target weight

Lol @ twiglet legs I would of paid good money to see that
04/07/2012 at 12:37

I think I have trench foot

04/07/2012 at 12:47

afternoon all,

just to say thanks for all the support and humour.

i've realised (no, thats not quite true - my gentleman friend realised and then told me!) that i have been so focussed on not being able to go out for a trot, that i had completely overlooked the fact that my WALKING speed and distances had also decreased substantially.

so, i have decided i am not going to try running until i have build my walking back up to my brisk rate over my 'longer' route to work (2miles there, 2 back)

i really dont want to go thru all this pain again, so it'll be slow and steady for a while.

today foot PAIN FREE if i remember to walk steady and slow and not rush around, so i hope this will continue.

05/07/2012 at 07:15
Achilles finally reminded me that it's only 5 months since surgery don't think I will be running for a few days very frustrating.
05/07/2012 at 10:37

TL - trench foot

Sarah - glad your foot is feeling ok, like you say take it steady

Dee - take it easy you dont want to aggravate it

Mykey - hope everything is ok

I ran with the club last night and did the usual 5K, really enjoyed it although very warm  I was actually a front runner for a change  

The injection is working well, hands feel alot better and I can walk down the stairs normally in the morning

05/07/2012 at 11:18

Still going strong I see.

The thread that is.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.