Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

INSPIRE, a beginners 'virtual' runners club. Read Page1 please

81 to 100 of 82,752 messages
18/07/2006 at 10:09
Cheers for the support

Allien - Wedding Day is next Friday :-) always a hot one - you can set your BBQ to it

Dan - training starts next week, got loads of cross training in the schedule. Hopefully that will help me maintain the training. Great time for that 5k

Dingus - Did FLM coupla years ago, but I think I can still remember how much it hurt! Which one did you do?

Beaker - you are sooooo right. Someone said to me once the body can achieve anything you want it to its just the mind that gets in the way. I always want to stop running in the first five to ten minutes but it always gets better
18/07/2006 at 10:12
Corinithian - I am new too - this is the first time I have posted on a thread so you are not the only one. Well done for setting yourself such a huge challenge. I am sure you will get there - you are already doing so well. 30-40 miles a week seems like masses to me so KEEP GOING!!!
18/07/2006 at 10:12
Hey Corinthian...thanks for sharing that.
My husband has started along those lines. No diagnosis, but way too many episodes of an AF feeling. Scary stuff. He has your attitude too. He ran his first Marathon in May, he never seems to suffer when he is running, but with the rest that follows it gets bad. He is doing the GNR too.

:-)
18/07/2006 at 10:18
Welcome Corinthian - I teach first aid and AF popped up in discussion last week. A student has a wife who suffers from it and has managed to get it under control. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

OTH & Em - it would be great to see you in NYC. The (one or two) shops over there are great. The running vibe is really cool too with so many runners from various countries all gathering together.
Mij
18/07/2006 at 10:19
Hello all I've been posting as "Older, Fatter, and back to beginning again". I notice they've lost my first post so an intro.

45 male two teenage kids, 17st 10lbs mid May, starting to worry about heart attacks etc...... and drinking 40ish pints a week.

Now running (with some walking) 4 times a week upto 13 miles a week, longest was 6.5m but it took 1hr 45 mins. I've lost 5.5lbs and have actually managed 4 days without beer (helped by a stomach bug)though not consecutively.

I've run since I was 10 and have given up more times than I care to remember - this time I want to make it a habit!

I have problems with my lower back and shins so am trying to take it very slowly.

I am contemplating the Swansea 10K in September but as its also Welsh nationals I'm concerned there will not be a place for a fat old g~t.

Swansea is a great place to run - I prefer the beach though - its flat when the tide is out and tends to be cooler, I live there during the week, and in North Herefordshire at the weekends when I run around field headlands or in forestry commission woods on hills - so best of both worlds.

Ran twice this week 3.6m total - as I'm on holiday this week it will be little and often only.
18/07/2006 at 10:28
Mij, I too have problems with my back when I run. However, Im hoping that with weight loss, sensible running and proper core exercises, I might be able to reduce this. When I started running again after my cold, I was a very distressing 18st 2lb. I weighed myself this morn (a week on), and had lost 5lb.

Corinthian & Em, it makes me feel really proud to talk to people who have the courage to fight something like AF with structured exercice (and this goes for everyone who has been touched by conditions that they have had the will to stand up too as well). Although I have not been affected as yet, I do have a history of heart disease in my family (my mothers side if that makes any difference). Its something that is never far from my thoughts when I run.
18/07/2006 at 10:37
wow so many new people, OTH what have you done! hello to all. Thanks for the comments guys i really enjoy it and appreciate everything that is said, its like having 10 coaches!!. someone said something about t-shirts, maybe we could actually get some made up!?? with inspire on the front etc & forum name and URL on the back?
18/07/2006 at 10:41
Hi guys just a quick post from home..well parents home.
Good to see everybody on the new thread and with so much inpiration (and perspiration!).
We went out at 7 this morning. Siân would run ahead during my walking periods then I caught her up. 2.7 miles in just over 35 mins and already starting to get hot.
Mij-We're entering a 5k run in Margam park on Sun 17 Sept (see the events tab) if you feel the Swansea 10k may be too much.
Have a good day all..enjoy the running and dream of the dark, cold winter days ahead...
18/07/2006 at 10:43
I keep going to put the list on and before I can I have to update it again LOL !!!!!!

Here it is before you lot change it again!

INSPIRE Running Club - Race Details

Mike – Trentham 10mile – 23rd July
Beaker – Chicks Chase, MK – 5k – 27th July
Happy – 26th Wedding Day Race, Bushy Park – 7k – 28th July
Daniel - Plymouth Aquathon, 500m sea swim, 5k run – 19th Aug
Dingus, Peterhead - Peterhead 10k - 27th Aug.
LE & Hubby – Overton – 5 mile – 2nd Sept
Hotfeet – Women’s Hydroactive Challenge, Hyde Park – 5K – 3rd Sept
Allien - Jelly Tea Run - 10 miles - 10th Sept
Mike H - Lichfield 10K - 10th Sept
Em, Forest Of Dean - Badminton 10k - 17th Sept
Siân & Mykey – Neath Port Talbot Cancer Challenge – 5k – 17th Sept
Uk Yankee Singleton, Kent - Faversham 10k -17th Sept
Dingus, Peterhead - GNR 13.1 miles - 1st Oct
Corinthian – GNR – 13.1miles – 1st Oct
LE - GSR 10miles - 22nd Oct
Happy – New York Marathon – 26.2miles – 5th Nov
INSPIRE Ladies – Dingus’ 5K Kilt run, TBA

Best Pages to Check if you’re new to this thread

A ‘must’ for all newbies to the thread – lots of inspiration – Pages 1 and 2
Corinthian – another inspiring story – Page 4

Take a look at our old thread for more inspiration ….

Old Thread

Photos:
DingusOTHEmandbelleMykeyPlodfatherUK YankeeDaniel’s PhotosLE’s PhotosAllien’s Photos
18/07/2006 at 10:44
Just remembered, there is a company called cafepress that can do this. I think you just buy one shirt (or other item) at a time (ie no bulk requirement), and they can put your logo on it. Not sure if they can do actual designes, or rear printing, but will get the deets anyway.
18/07/2006 at 10:44
Mart has a strong family history too. He focuses on staying fit, and eating healthily. I worry about his salt intake...it's minimal, with his running it's a worry, but he is on the replacement drinks these days. I would like some more info on this. I assume the drs checked his bloods for sodium/potassium last week, but I really struggle to let him deal with it without me naggin him!
18/07/2006 at 10:46
Corinthian - I've highlighted your story for the Bring Forward list - it is inspirational ... hope you will keep us updated on your progress. I get really litlle AF's for just a few mins at a time and I hate the sensation .. how on earth do you cope! Good on you (and Mart) for not giving in to it.
18/07/2006 at 10:46
that was replying to a post way back near the top of the page!!! (not like me not to be able to keep up!!!)

x
18/07/2006 at 10:49
Tee-shirts sound like a good idea

Just pondering - there are a few people on here who have lower back problems.

Been to see Doc, fizz, osteo, podiatrist and ultimately they all say the same thing...core strength. So looking for yoga and pilates classes at mo.

But in the meantime between crunches - what pain management works for you? I have tried normal massages and stretching and stuff but had acupuncture last week which seems to have worked better than the other stuff. Managed to cycle and run without pain killers since - although I'm a bit sore this morning.

So, what works for you?
18/07/2006 at 10:50
Hi Mij ... thanks for joining us :-) We've met on your thread in the past. You have really come on - well done mate! When you decide which race to enter let us know and it'll be added to the list. And good on you for deciding to get fitter - keep your eye on me please as I 'slip' sometimes - you're reasons for doing this are close to mine and perhaps you can chivvy me along :-)
18/07/2006 at 10:53
Check this out...

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=112

This one is more expensive, but you can have a back design too...

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=2

Here is a womens shirt...

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=89

Looks like you just upload your images online. They come in big sizes too, which is good for me!!!

Prices are in US dollars. Not sure how much the postage would be, but I have bought stuff from the USA on Ebay before and it hasnt been too bad then.
18/07/2006 at 10:54
think i need some core strength exercises too - had 4 caesarians so bottom stomach muscles shot to pieces! definitely my lower back that feels it on long runs - is pilates the best or yoga??
18/07/2006 at 10:58
I dont really do anything to get rid of the back pain, it tends to go fairly quickly when I stop running. It can make me a bit stiff, so I am placing more emphasis on proper stretching (thanks to all who commentd on this).

I would love to try Pilates when I get the time, though.
18/07/2006 at 10:59
Happy ... learning the warning signs and acting on them to prevent flare-ups! Proper exercising like you mention, but also 'slowing down' when the signs tell me to and taking it easier until the signs go away. Very much a mind game with the body ... knowing when I can and can't push it! Lots of other stuff - went on a 'Pain Management' Course at our local hospital which turned my life around!
18/07/2006 at 11:02
Hi all,

Can I join in?

I'll pen a profile and post it up
81 to 100 of 82,752 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.