swimming

we should all swim instead, a physio says he;s never had to treat a swimmer

1 to 20 of 37 messages
07/06/2012 at 12:28

i read this in a magazine yesterday. of course i know that swimming is better for your joints as it supports your body weight etc. and i am getting little aches and niggles since i started running. so should i be swimming instead?

07/06/2012 at 12:40

I would imagine this depends on why you are running. 

07/06/2012 at 12:45

i'm running cos i enjoy the challenge. and the run itself once i've got going. i like swimming butcan only swim on my back, so that makes a lot of swimming .difficult. and i have long hair, which i just couldnt wash three times a week, but is running just too bad for your joints?

07/06/2012 at 12:49

You can learn to swim on your front via lessons and wouldn't a swimming hat save you from having to wash your hair? When I take my daughters swimming their hair is bone dry afterwards when I take the hat off.

I will let someone else who knows what they are talking about comment on the joint effects.

M...eldy    pirate
07/06/2012 at 12:58

I have long hair, I swim and run

Not sure what the point is here 

Ultra AJH    pirate
07/06/2012 at 13:00

I have short hair and I swim and run.

Shoulders are a bastard to fix if you hurt them swimming

07/06/2012 at 13:00

just because one physio in a mag says he has never treated a swimmer doesn't mean swimmers don't get injuries. I would think there is a lot of potential for shoulder problems.

07/06/2012 at 13:24

That physio should speak to my physio then, she's treating me for shoulder problems caused by swimming.

Mind you she's also treating me for knee problems I'm having from running!

07/06/2012 at 13:32

Choice between swimming and running will depend in part on what your objective is. I tend to lose mor weight if running than through swimming. I tend to run at higher heart rates than swimmimg so it is a different CV workout. Also many swimmers I see in the pool are barely moving - I wonder if they really are getting much cv benefit. It is easier to  go very slow in a swim.

As noted shoulder injuries can happen for swimmers. Also strokes like breaststroke are very hard on leg joints  -so could aggravate a problem.

I have heard that running is good from an OA prevention point of view - dont know how true that is though.

07/06/2012 at 13:37

I would imagine that a good mix of running, swimming, cycling and gym activities would be the best way to lose weight, get fitter, and avoid injuries associated with doing the same thing too frequently...

cougie    pirate
07/06/2012 at 13:38

Didnt one of the original pirates injure himself swimming ? Rotator cuff or something ? Dangerous Dave was it ? 

I agree theres less risk from swimming - as theres no impact - but I struggle to burn many calories swimming - I just have one survival pace. With running its much easier to get a good workout.

07/06/2012 at 15:20

Maybe drop a couple of runs to swim instead and see how you manage.

Aches and niggles are quite typical with running when you start out, just make sure you can tell the difference between a little fatigue and soreness to an injury waiting to happen.

Everything in moderation I suppose.

I wouldn't switch completely to swimming just because one magazine article says it's better for your joints. You do it because you want to and enjoy it.

WiB
07/06/2012 at 15:25

Your physio may not have ever treated a swimmer but I bet a life guard has never had to drag a runner out of the water

WiB
Ultra AJH    pirate
07/06/2012 at 15:25

I do swims to stop me running all the time. I feel my body benefits from a bit of lying down exercise.

sounds good doesn't it

07/06/2012 at 15:42
Ultra AJH wrote (see)

I do swims to stop me running all the time. I feel my body benefits from a bit of lying down exercise.

sounds good doesn't it

certainly does! Actually, I think a bit of swimming after a hard run session helps stop my legs aching too much afterwards

07/06/2012 at 15:55

yep, swimming definitely helps recovery, i think. but apart from that, it's deeply, deeply,deeply boring...

07/06/2012 at 17:07

For me, there are two problems with swimming:

A) The motivation factor - with running, all I have to do is put on my gear and go - with swimming, I'd have to drag to the local leisure centre.

B) I can't bloomin' swim!

Kryten    pirate
07/06/2012 at 17:25

On the other hand runners hardly ever drown.

Kryten    pirate
07/06/2012 at 17:27

Personally I think that if you swim at the same intensity, for the same duration, and the same number of times per week as you currently run, you will get just as many aches and pains, just in different locations.

Another popular myth - its impossible to hurt yourself doing yoga.

07/06/2012 at 17:57

LOL to quote a friend of mine who is a competitive masters swimmer:

"I got Dr X to do my knee op, he's got a good reputation and has done a lot of the others..." (i.e. other swimmers).

1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.