Target: London Marathon 2013

an absolute beginner starts training for the London marathon.

21 to 40 of 42 messages
24/10/2012 at 20:39

Hi, everybody. Thanks for reading on. Although, I have been a bit quiet on here. I don't intend to be, just amazing how quick time goes by.

I'll answer questions and stuff in a bit, but first a little update....

I have entered a few races in the build up to London. Brighton 10k on the 18th Nov. Double my usual race, as I do the local parkrun 5k, I'm hoping to be ok. plus this ties in with my programme almost exactly, so looking forward to that. Does that make me sound sadistic? the other 2 are in the new year, Brighton Half marathon in Feb and the Eastbourne half in March.

Training-wise, things are going ok. I have been 3-4 times a week. Ranging from 4miles to 10k. as this was the distance I have been running anyway I carried on just getting used to the regime of fitting in my runs to my hectic life. Now it's time to start this regime I've found. Which gradually picks up the distance each week. We'll see how it goes.

Can't recommend stretching enough. My knees hurt after longer runs, not so much hurt more of an ache. Keep telling myself to "STRETCH!" and have gone off treadmills, I used one at work for a bit, which resulted in shinsplints. Not too bad but enough to know not to use that bloody machine again!

on the plus side, it does seem to be getting easier. So to everybody else, Stick with it!

Answers to posts:

Hi Lisa, There is a sweatshop in Brighton, but that's 30 miles away so looking for a closer running club to maybe join. on your advise, thanks, I didn't think about that!

Hi Kay, Congratulations on the ballot, your kids and running for a charity, that's great for you. Keep wearing your trainers, is my tip. They get more comfy after a while and my feet don't hurt now.

Hi Grace, I got a place through cRUNch, they help the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust with getting runners for them etc. Although I entered the ballot, which I was unsuccessful, I got a place from them to help raise some money for them. Maybe if you email them or the EPT, they can get you a place too? Sorry to hear about your loss too. Can't imagine going through that 3 times. How did you find this blog on the EPT website?

Hi Rachel, I find it best to be confidently crazy!! Keep going.

Hi sofaboy, keep up the good work. Nice to know my twin is out there too! Do you have the nike sensor in your shoe?

Hi ecky, Let me know if you do get a place for London, however you do it. how did Abingdon go? 

24/10/2012 at 20:41

Does anyone have the Nike sensor in their trainer?

Mine seems to be loose when I'm running. Is that usual?

Cheers

24/10/2012 at 20:55

It was brilliant and went really well. I wouldn't say I broke any records but I made some fab new friends and raised a tonne of Dosh for my Charity so its all good. I will let you know when I find out. I have to take my rejection letter in tomorrow night so fingers crossed.

25/10/2012 at 09:58

nike sensor? as far as i was aware the structure was just a shoe that's comfy for me that happens to be in a nice subtle grey and yellow. don't know anything about sensors and the like.

Tinker and Kay, i've set up a thread for us first timer VLMers if you want to come visit. the chairs are comfy, the kettle's always on and there may even be cake if you're lucky.

25/10/2012 at 10:17

Did someone say Cake.

25/10/2012 at 10:32

well there is some cake, but it's really for us newbies. although you have only just done your first marathon so maybe we'll put a slice aside for you.

25/10/2012 at 10:46

*Sniffs* Awwwwww Thanks Sofaboy.

25/10/2012 at 11:15

bringing happiness to the world through the medium of baked confectionery.

25/10/2012 at 13:35

You could have been part of Cake Runners AC.

28/11/2012 at 20:13

Hi all, if anybody's still out there.

I completed my first real race last week. Brighton 10k and think I did ok, finished in 49mins. Managed to keep to my pace and not get pushed/dragged along.

My other runs so far are going ok too, I feel I can complete my long runs and go further, which is reassuring as I'm still nowhere near the full 26.2 miles yet!

This week I have the plan is 4 runs, as always, but 5 miles, 6 miles, 4 miles then my long run which is 12 miles. with a days rest in between.

How is everyone else doing? Are you keeping to your training plan?

Speak soon

James

29/11/2012 at 08:28

morning mate.

a 49min 10K isn't to be sniffed at. that's what i did on my first one as well.

my training plan has taken a bit of a hit since my first 1/2, sunday before last. recovery is taking a while, not helped by being a bit under the weather.

good luck on that 12 miler.sub 2 hour?

29/11/2012 at 08:40

I'm in VLM 2013 too and I've been working up some base mileage and done 3 Halfs in the last 3 months. Never really run before the last 6 months, but pleased with progress. Managed a 1.50 last time out, so now planning to progress my training.

Been looking at nutrition, clothes, hydration, plans, technology etc etc - loads going on.- blimey !!!

I'm running the GRIM on Saturday, 8 miles in mud and ice !! - all good (they tell me)

29/11/2012 at 09:16

Morning

Wow 49 mins is brilliant. I have never got under 53.

I had confirmation of my place last night through my Running club so am very Bouncy today and sooooo excited to be finally doing London. I will be running with a Giant Teddy strapped to my back to raise awareness of my Charity. It was donated by a Volunteer at my club but I cant raffle it  off as its 40 years old and before safety regs. I will have to start practising with it soon.

Rattler GRIM certainly does sound a toughie.

29/11/2012 at 11:24

practicing with a massive teddy bear on your back? that'll be interesting.

actuall, i've thought that about the rhino guys before. for a few months of the year are there enormous fake rhinos runnning through villages and towns in prep for london?

29/11/2012 at 13:56

I have wondered about that myself. They must practice at some point in costumes. It will be great for awareness while training. I can entertain the local Yoofs

29/11/2012 at 14:48

you might find yourself running a damn sight quicker as well. lol...

29/11/2012 at 14:50

Being chased could be good for my endurance

13/01/2013 at 22:56
Edited: 13/01/2013 at 22:57
26/01/2013 at 19:48

Merry Christmas and Happy new year everyone!

How's the training going? It certainly has been difficult with the snow but I have been getting out there at least!

Just about going out every other day, doing 3 shorter runs but 1 long run a week. doing about 12 miles on my long runs, which is taking about 1hour 35mins.

Will be planning on at least one 20 miler before the big one though!

Is anyone else going to the meet the experts day in London next Saturday?

Anyone doing the Brighton Half next month?

What about Hastings and Eastbourne in March?

Good luck. hope to see you soon. 

24/02/2013 at 16:53

hello everyone, I got home in 2.29 for a half marathon today and my new shoes held up really well why my second toes went numb is beyond me !

21 to 40 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.