The correct way to increase distance

5 messages
24/11/2012 at 22:36

Hi, I'm a fitness freak, but still very much a newbie as far as running is concerned. I haven't followed any training plans, but just started running over the last few weeks.

I pushed myself today and managed five miles in just over forty minutes. Previously I had been running for just twenty minutes. I don't feel tired or breathless now, but do get some mild pain in my legs. 

Is there a standard approach when it comes to increasing distance, or am I doing too much too soon? I'm really in love with this whole running thing, so don't want to do any damage 

24/11/2012 at 22:52

Hi James, you say your a fitness freak so guess your just new to running and do other sports regularly? I'm a newbie too and the majority of people seems to be saying up your distance by a MAX of 10% per week and some say add a mile to your weekly long run each week. I've just started my LSR's again and starting at 10k will be adding 2k per week for a month then dropping down a week before (maybe) increasing again.

24/11/2012 at 23:00
Hi james,

Andi is spot on, don't increase your mileage more than 10% per week. Otherwise you will risk injury...

You might find it beneficial to think about entering a 5k or 10k race, and you can structure some training around it. RW smartcoach is a great place to start!

All the best.
24/11/2012 at 23:07

Thanks guys, that's really helpful 

30/11/2012 at 08:58

I found the 10% thing difficult to keep on doing without taking a rest week where I'll run between 50-70% of my highest weekly mileage every three-or-four weeks.

But over the past six weeks I've changed that and I've built upto 22 miles now for my long weekend run (I like running long and slow though I do try to put some speed in during the week too), and found that increasing my mileage by 1 or 2 miles every-other-week, with a shorter long run on the weekend inbetween easier for my body to handle.

It just gives my niggles time to recover before they turn into injuries I think.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.