The Iberian Odyssey

From miltonic malaise to Madrid marathon in thirty weeks.

81 to 85 of 85 messages
04/05/2013 at 08:28

just found the time to catch up. Perezoso - well done, very emotional race report and sounds like an incredibly emotional finish. Would have been so easy to give up, so massive well done for keeping going. Sounds like your wife had good fun!

neil - well done to you too, headwinds are nasty things! 1:38 for a half is a fantastic time. 

05/05/2013 at 07:33

Thanks, mathschick, it certainly was an emotional experience. It's now a week later and  - all bar my right knee, which is suffering from overload induced seizure - my body's recovered. It would be great to go out for a gentle recovery run, but unfortunately the gammy knee is going to keep me off the trails for another week, I guess.

I've already got my sights on marathon number two next year (not sure which one yet), but this time round I'm going to have a year to train, which seems a much more reasonable proposition!

13/05/2013 at 19:51

A belated thanks mathschick.

How are you doing now Perezoso? Decided on another marathon? What about some interim races at shorter distances?

I've got the Carrera del Agua 10k a week on Sunday, a quick course apart from a short, sharp climb early on and a two km gradual uphill stretch from Santiago Bernabeu to Plaze de Castilla. I'm also hoping to do the Burgos Half Marathon on June 16th. I'm struggling a bit for form at the moment but do want to do these two races before the summer break.

By the way, I've heard some rumours that they are thinking of changing the Madrid Marathon course. Apparently they want to take some of the "sting" out of it to attract more elite runners. Noone's ever gone below 2hrs 10mins on the current course.

Haven't forgot about our Casa de Campo run. Bit tied up with the above-mentioned races and other commitments in the next four weeks but we'll get something sorted, if you're still up for it?

24/05/2013 at 11:44

Hi Neil, yes I'm still up for it, but I too have a few other commitments a the mo', so no rush. I've been completely off the running since the marathon due to a totally knackered knee. Today was my first run since the big day nearly four weeks ago - and today was only 3min walk/run intervals - I felt like a complete beginner again! It was good to get out though, and I hope to be fighting fit again in the not too distant future.

It's good to see that you're still trying to get the races in, and I've also heard those rumours about flattening Madrid - let's see.

Happy trails!

04/06/2013 at 17:21

Hi Perezoso,

Not been on the message board much recently. Sorry to hear about the knee but hope it's on the mend. Any thoughts on doing any races? There's some good 10ks in the autumn.

Did the Carrera del Agua just over a week ago and got a PB (43:36), 41 seconds off my previous best. Preparation for the Burgos Half was going well too and then last week they changed the date from the 16th to 23rd June. Unbelievable. Can't do it that weekend for a variety of reasons so mightily pi**ed off at such a late change, as are a lot of other people. Going to try and do a 10k to end the season here in Madrid that weekend and there's a couple of possibilities but it won't be the same.

In other news, work is taking me off to Qatar for a couple of months from early July to mid September. Think I'll be hammering the treadmill although apparently there's one group that goes out at 5:30am a couple of mornings a week even in high summer. Back mid September.

By the way, what's your view on the supposed flattening out of the marathon course?

Hope you're well.

Un abrazo

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 85 of 85 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.