The next step up

help!

19 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 20:42
I've been running now for about 3 mths. I can cover 10K but it is a long draw out affair! Currently I am restricted to mainly running in my lunch hours. I've worked up to 20 mins before I have a walk break so feeling fairly proud of what Ihave achieved so far. However the problem is this...
Given that the weather is now unlikely to get better I need to start to think about running 2 days on the trot on ocassions as I have a half to aim for next spring.

How is the best way to approach this?

At present, if I do try to run 2 days my legs give up after 10-15 mins and I feel really annoyed! Should I try to do shorter sessions but more often or wait untill I can run longer/faster before I make this move?

all help much appreciated
EP
14/10/2002 at 21:25
My personal experience has been to go for shorter runs more frequently rather than trying too hard to go for the big, long runs (especially a half marathon). Also, give yourself a rest between running days. If you are a few months in, then you can tell whether or not two days in a room hurts or not, but don't push yourself too hard.

Be realistic with yourself and don't set too many aggressive goals. If you don't do a half marathon this spring, there will always be plenty more of them coming down the road. If you enjoy running and enjoy the benefits that you feel, then think long-term and don't push too hard, too fast.

I overtrained myself into a bout of pneumonia, that took 3 months to shake off, last year after my initial euphoria of completing my first 10k event. Your advice you gave in the other beginners forum was spot on -- just run any time any where you can, and enjoy it. You'll get to those big impressive numbers later.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 21:27
cheers Robert
14/10/2002 at 21:31
I would guess you find it hard to increase distance because you are running at lunchtimes? If this is the case then just aim to run for 15 mins (no more)and then powerwalk for 15 on the second day. If you can make more time at lunchtime I would suggest that you would be better trying to increase your distance every other day (pick the days when it isn't raining!) and not worrying about running every day. I think that building stamina is most important at your stage. Lots of short runs will help you increase your speed but may not help you make the distance at 1/2 marathon. Can you run at weekends? Its important to be able to just go out and run and then add on at the end when you feel good.
Good luck and may the force be with you!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 21:35
BBB I need the force!
I can occasionally go out at weekends if I can find a sitter! Lunchtimes I try to go out for 30-40 mins then eat as I work in the afternoon.
Thing is I'm getting addicted to this running thing and therefore frustrated at myself!
Cheers I'll try shorter runs!
14/10/2002 at 21:43
Hi EP I too go out during my lunchtime and then eat lunch at my desk. I manage about 40 mins but it is all at the one pace. I can't seem to speed up at all. It's all at about 12 min pace, if I try to go any faster I just about kill myself. I tried today a few speed bursts but the legs felt it. I'm glad your really hooked on running. I ran for years and then through a serious leg infection I gave up for nearly two years so getting back into it is proving really difficult. The mind is very willing but the legs ain't nd the extra pounds make it harder. Keep up the good work its reading all your posts that is keeping me going.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 21:50
tryer stop copying me!
Lunchtime runs ... 30-40 mins, 12 min pace,can't get faster!
Snap!
14/10/2002 at 21:58
Sorry EP not copying you I just seem to be running same as you. Workmates think I am mad going out at lunchtime. They all stand at the back door having their ciggies watching me. Feel a right plonker some times. Glad no one says they will join me. Bet they could all walk faster than I run. Running after work now going to be harder as I am out of street lights after about 4 mins which means got to run in the dark so lunchtim eis obvious choice at the moment.
Sorry again EP
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 22:02
no worries tryer! At least we get out!
My hubby annoyed me the other day with his "12 mins! bloody hell I used to do 6 mins at school you are slow!" But at least I run he watches sport on TV!
14/10/2002 at 22:05
One day my hubby said I can walk as fast as you run and he proved it by keeping up with me! To insult to injury he then said I can even walk faster backwards and he did. What I said to him then is unprintable.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 22:20
Go on tell me so I can try the line too!
14/10/2002 at 22:25
I think I might get reported for strong language if I did. Oops and if I don't get of this computer as hubby needs to use it his languge might be equally as strong to me. Will tell you at Brighton. Mind you he always finishes a race and then comes back for me to try and push me to the finish and if he does that you will hear the language as I tell him where to go. Ok must go. Night all.
14/10/2002 at 22:55
Walk/run EP, it works for me
And one day it will be run all the way
14/10/2002 at 22:57
EP, Tryer, I look forward to run/walk with you in Brighton
I think well surprise ourselves with the time
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 08:21
Benz are you definately coming down then?! Kewl! Look forward to it!
Well if you have one a marathon then I am sure I can do a half!
15/10/2002 at 14:22
Course you can EP
Just have to be sure that my on line entry got there,a nd then have to get to Brighton
15/10/2002 at 18:52
I set out to train for a half with the 100 day RW programme in the mag, don't think I ever did one week to plan! I never got the hang of speed work, so did hills instead, had 2 weeks off with mega blisters, then took two more trying to run for more than 15 mins without a wlk, managed painful v.v. slow 13 miles 3 weeks before, total flat. towpath, often did no more than 2 runs a week, and still got round.

15/10/2002 at 18:57
whoops, clicked too soon!

The point is, I don't think you have to run every day, but it's the longer v.slow runs
that build up stamina and the mental confidence, whether or not they are run/run walk, it's good to know you can do the distance before the day.

Even though I felt I was already running slower than most people walk, (about 12.5+ min miles) when I managed to run slower still, I could instantly go further.

Good luck, you'll be fine!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 19:23
Happyslug you have made a Pixie very happy too!
That has given me a lot more confidence!
Cheers!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.