Thinking about a come-back - struggling

8 messages
04/02/2013 at 12:41

I used to be a regular on the "still at 5k" thread and was running 5k 3x a week. That was over a 2 years ago as I switched back to indoor climbing as my regular sport. However, it's now been a year since I did any exercise - but amazingly have managed to control my weight and not turn into a teletubby.

Sooo. I want to get back to running. I look at my lovely treadmill and I want to use it. Running outside is a no-no until the weather gets warmer (cold sets off my asthma).

Then I remember what put me off running, and that was being "stuck" at 5k, my best time was about 35 mins.

I read posts on here and start to feel excited about running again and one day I would like to do a race (ideally the Silverstone half) - but this reminds me of being stuck at 5k, then trying to do intervals etc. I think the problem is that if I'm going to do something I want to be good at it and I don't feel like I'm very good at running.

04/02/2013 at 13:42

Thanks David. And I'm not a man, but point taken.

It's just that I look back on my running and remember working hard at it and not really feeling like I was making any progress. But then looking even further back I couldn't even run for 20 seconds to start with!

Will keep a LSR in mind as well.

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 13:43
04/02/2013 at 14:42

What do you mean by 'stuck at 5k'?  Were you trying to get down to a certain 5k time before upping the distance?

I got to 5k a month ago - in about 37 minutes initially, now about 34 minutes 45 or so - so, not fast by any stretch of the imagination.  I am currently (well, this is the theory) stretching one run per week by 0.5k a week, so I'm now up to 6k - hhmmm, guess that should be 6.5 this week - doing one straightforward run of 5k and doing one 5kish run that includes intervals.

Now, in practice, I've not really got anywhere with the intervals yet, but I think that may take some time due to my weight, but I'm not too worried about it as I am managing to do the slightly longer runs.

As you say, the progress from not running ot running 5k is HUGE!  Get back there and then just add a little bit on, and if one thing doesn't work, try another.

04/02/2013 at 15:24

lol @ David.

I did try to progress beyond 5k and I do vaguely remember some longer runs - I definitely remember going out and just running for an hour without worrying about the miles to try and improve.

I think LSR might be the key though.

04/02/2013 at 18:47
David, please, please ,please can you do me a podcast with some music and you shouting at me to "woman up", "run faster/harder/longer" and generally get my butt in gear. I think it would really help me with my motivation.
04/02/2013 at 18:58

Run Forest Run -have you ever read "Run Fat Bitch Run" Its definitely something of a motivator!

04/02/2013 at 20:16
ooh, now that does sound good. I'm assuming my local library won't stock this, so I'll have a nose a Amazon. Cheers!

ps I do run like Forest Gump, but before the calipers fell off
08/02/2013 at 17:29

Hi, newbie here but I had the same problem as Xorro. Not matter how hard I tried last year I was stuck at 5mins per km at best during races -  5k or 10k and that effort felt quite hard. I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he basically said that my training wasn't 'smart' enough and after a bit of reading there was a suggestion that you can become 'calibrated' to run at a certain pace. Running at the same speed during training several times a week was not only boring but doing nothing other than keeping me in shape. I now run 3 or 4 times per week and more or less every run over a two week period is different, some in more ways than others -  a mix of different types of intervals, threshold, progression, long and of increasing distance over time although some still remain short easy recovery types. After three months of doing this my 10k race pace has fallen to 4:36 mins per km although I never ever run at that pace during training runs. I know this pace is slow compared to the majority on here but i'm pleased with the measurable improvement. I'm 46 and until 12 months ago i'd been on the couch for 10 years, the only excercise I'd done was walking the dogs. Now I can run 10 miles easily, in October 2012 there was no way I could run that distance.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.