Time for a 10k?

4 messages
14/09/2012 at 15:29

So for the last 5 or so weeks Ive been in training for a sprint triathlon on Sunday, with a 5k run in it.

I'm looking for future events to keep me motivated and there's a 10km road race 9 weeks on Sunday, as a runner who's never gone over 5k - is this adequate time to prepare? I was thinking of using a plan similar to something like the one on this website. But as a novice it'd be good to get some more experienced opinions.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-8-week-10k-schedule-3-days-per-week/76.html

14/09/2012 at 15:41

There is also the Active.com 5k to 10k app (by the same people who do the Couch to 5k app) which is 9 weeks long and 3 runs per week.

I'm currently on Week 5 of the Couch to 5k app and am then aiming to do the 5k to 10k afterwards (and run a 10k on New Years Day), so mine is just another novice opinion rather than one of the more experienced folks on here, but it seems as if 8-9 weeks is a feasible period of time based on most of the popular training regimes that are out there.

14/09/2012 at 16:01

yes, its fine. As klstevens says, there are plenty of 8 week 10k schedules available.  So take the week after your triathlon relatively easy and then start a plan for the 10k eight weeks before the event.

14/09/2012 at 18:58

Alright cheers you two, I'll probably get started just after my race at the weekend then

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.