Too fat to start?

At my weight, can I realistically expect to run?

21 to 24 of 24 messages
16/02/2014 at 13:01

I've gone from 108 kilos to 93 kilos in about two years. My Garmin reckons that at my height and weight, or however it calculates it, I burn 100 calories per km, give or take (never been able to work out if it takes hills into account). So now I'm doing up to 53km per week (this week) that means I've burnt 32,000 calories running and hiking so far this year. So I guess what I'm saying is, keep at it, build up your capacity and the effects will increase (I know they will flatten off again, but I still haven't reached that point.

I started out by setting myself a monthly goal of 12 outings- either walking (hills), running (including r/w) and cycling. I found that weekly targets were just setting myself up for failure, as weeks can go wrong for any number of reasons, but a month gives you some leeway. Also, I allowed myself to give up when running if it just got too painful- next time will be better.

16/02/2014 at 18:09
Also, I've learnt since that if it was so.uncomfortable that I had to stop, I was.going too fast.
16/02/2014 at 18:27
KronicSonic wrote (see

Right now I weigh a whopping 159.5 kg 0.5kg down from last week, I'm 180cm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm NOT you and whats good for ME might not be good for YOU but looking back at Garmin Connect I ran 9.5 miles average pace 11:02/miles when I weighted in at 151kg I am admittedly taller than you.

I'm now nearly 20kg lighter not by worrying how fast or how far or how many times I was running but just getting out there and doing it.

I've found my Garmin (currently a 620hr but I've had them all going back to the 201) a huge help & motivator think virtual pacer/racer along with Garmin Connect and its Personal Records etc.

At the end of the YOU need to be putting the effort in.

Good luck

Edited: 16/02/2014 at 18:30
16/02/2014 at 18:33
KronicSonic wrote (see)

Right now I weigh a whopping 159.5 kg 0.5kg down from last week, I'm 180cmThanks,

I'm NOT you and whats good for ME might not be good for YOU but looking back at Garmin Connect I ran 9.5 miles average pace 11:02/miles when I weighted in at 151kg I am admittedly taller than you.

I'm now nearly 20kg lighter not by worrying how fast or how far or how many times I was running but just getting out there and doing it.

I've found my Garmin (currently a 620hr but I've had them all going back to the 201) a huge help & motivator think virtual pacer/racer along with Garmin Connect and its Personal Records etc.

At the end of the YOU need to be putting the effort in.

Good luck 

Sorry for the double post (can't delete it now) but the "quoting" system is a nightmare!!

Edited: 16/02/2014 at 18:34

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.