Tooting-Based Clubs

11 messages
MR
09/10/2002 at 16:37
Could there be any clubs (catering for beginners) in and around Tooting ? I did hear of something called "Tooting RC" from an internet search site but there wasn't a website for them and I couldn't find them in the Yellow Pages. Perhaps a club which uses/is based at Tooting Bec Athletics track which is walking distance from my home.

I am training for the marathon and, especially for longer runs (which I haven't done yet - 6 miles is the longest so far) I think company would help. I don't mind if people are SLIGHTLY better than me as I wouldn't mind falling behind a LITTLE if the people I am running with are OK with that. But I AM a beginner and so I am not very fast, etc.

If anyone can help I would much appreciate it.
09/10/2002 at 17:03
Herne Hill Harriers are based at Tooting Bec Track. They may be a bit serious for you but their website says they cater for all standards.
09/10/2002 at 19:31
Tooting leisure centre are going to start a non competitive running club in a couple of weeks time and it sounds pretty good! Also, Wimbledon Windmilers, and I believe there is also a Tooting RC, although I can't be sure! Want to go for a trot sometime? I live in Tooting B/way. The tooting RC no. may be in the club section of Running Fitness if I'm right!

Email my if interested btw
09/10/2002 at 19:48
Sutton Runners aren't that far away - Rosehill, and have a wide range of levels from 33 min 10k to complete beginners, plus they're a friendly lot. Okay - I'm biased, it's my club!

http://www.suttonrunners.cwc.net/
09/10/2002 at 22:23
The only details I can find for Tooting RC are:

R. Rockcliffe, 32 Scholars Road, London SW12 0PG
10/10/2002 at 15:22
I ran into (and along with) the Sutton Runners slow sunday run a few weekends ago. Seemed like a very friendly club.

Millipede
10/10/2002 at 16:17
Jon, do you know if the Tooting Leisure Centre club caters for complete beginners? I live in Balham and would be really interested in going along if they do.

Cheers

Tortoise
10/10/2002 at 17:09
THey are planning to make it really acessible to all Tortoise
10/10/2002 at 19:56
I have a date! 14th November! There will be a little soire at about 7:30 if anyone is interested!
MR
10/10/2002 at 20:32
Thanks for all your messages (this is Michael who left first message here). Sutton runners seem to be popular but I think Herne Hill Harriers wuld be better for me because they use Tooting Bec Athletics track which is right on my doorstep. I might wait until after the Brighton 10K on 17th November because then I'll have a "time" and 'they' can know where to put me. I'm slow at the moment but plan to get faster and would like to be competitive, even if only at a 'low' level.
11/10/2002 at 09:09
Would have loved to come along on 14th but can't because am taking my Mum out to dinner, it is her 60th birthday!

Let me know how it goes though!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.