Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

201 to 220 of 416 messages
30/01/2013 at 22:30

christened the new trainers , as it was dry this evening , 8.5k in 51 mins ,  i am quite pleased as it took me an hour last week, but i guess that was due to snow, and my pacing hasn't improved that dramatically in a week lol but it was deffo easier , but am trying hard not to overdo it and stress my joints too much, my feet arches start to ache at an hour, but lungs can do more  - frustrating 

i have read lots on training so now i am not too hung up on time and focus on a steady pace  i can sustain, i prob could go faster or harder but not for long , 

i like evening runs , they are good for thinking and de-stressing 

the grumpy cat makes me chuckle - when i have done a race/event i will put a running one on, it took days to get approved. 

01/02/2013 at 12:32
Ugh! I've missed a whole week!
Last Friday I woke up with an ominous scratchy throat that took 48 hours to develop into a proper get-back-to-bed cold. On Tuesday and Wednesday I made it into work to mark 92 exams and calculate grades for 260 students. By yesterday the fever, sore throat and bunged-up nose had all cleared up, but I still have a chesty cough that explodes when I get even slightly out of breath
BUT... I'm flying out to Florida on Monday, where the weather is good and the morning runs will be followed by a dip in the pool, so I'm hoping to make up some lost ground then.
I heard this week that my cousin is getting married in August, so I think a trip to Blighty is order. After reading about you all signing up for races, I think I might have to find one for while I'm there. I'm off to browse the events boards
01/02/2013 at 12:44

oh kate i am positively jealous of your travels, japan, USA, erm Uk not as exciting i have to admit lol

hope you feeling better soon, no point training unwell, will only prolong illness and not improve fitness

i want to run this evening as i prefer evening, but also want to do park run in the morning and beat my 5k time, which  may not be possible if i run this eve, maybe i will do a slow walk jog with the dog instead of a 'run'

oh exams  at least you get o mark them, i have to sit one monday morn, well speak one, i have my oral exam , groan....... i talk to myself in my head while running

01/02/2013 at 21:02
Euh kate colds are rubbish! Hope you feel better soon, I'm sure Florida with sort it out, sounds great! But yeah there's not much you can do running wise but wait it out...

Got out this evening, rather chilly glad I wore my gloves, gradually building up to 30min runs... Feeling good so far
01/02/2013 at 21:48
Evening. Went out last night so just a quick report!

Week 5 run 2 was 2x8 min runs with a 5 min walk in between. And I did it.

Really pleased with myself but dreading Sunday as its one solid 20 minute run! Oh my god, how did that happen? How did I become capable of running for 20 minutes when 5 weeks ago I couldn't run for 90 seconds!
02/02/2013 at 12:51

Hi everyone!

Good luck with your 20-minuter Bella. I did mine last Sunday and it feels soooo good after it's done! Loving the idea of running in Florida on hols Kate. It'll be a bit of a struggle going out in the cold when you get back though I reckon!

I've only got out once this week as dead busy so need to get off my bum today. However, I celebrated the end of my dry January a little too hard last night and not feeling very "get up and go."

Urgh.

02/02/2013 at 15:55

heyyyy i am so pleased , did park run this morning, i was 200th women finishing, and 10th in age category, and finally got sub 30 mins, i finished my 5k in 28.32 , whooooop, obvs this beat my PB by a whopping 163 seconds 

can you tell i am rather excited about this? its funny doing all these runs on your own you don't feel you are improving, but i guess you do 

well done everyone else still at in , lol at maisie , enjoy your hang over , poor thing , i am due one of those in a few weeks when i have finished my weekends on rota 

02/02/2013 at 16:53

Well done Curly! I'm so looking forward to starting park runs. They sound really motivating!

And my update is I've been out, hangover blown away. And from now all my runs have no little walking breaks ... yay!

03/02/2013 at 12:09

Wow curly - Im so impressed!  Well done you must feel epic!

Hangover gone is good news!  I finished my dry Jan as well - but have been a bit scared to drink!  I used to have about half a bottle of red a night, and although I dont think I was addicted, I do think it was a habit.  I also think I was permenantly thirsty as everytime I think about having some wine, I drink water and the feeling goes away.

Anyway.  OH and I are off to London (with the little one) for an overnight in a couple of weeks so I may treat myself to a G&T then.  Im avoiding wine as it is just so carby and will spark off cravings for food Im not allowed on this diet!

Talking of which, the scales havent moved (I lie - they went up)   I really dont believe them - because I am definitely smaller than I was 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, I just returned from my Week 5 run 3.  20 minutes solid! Im not fast, but Im learning to pace myself.

Happy running all! 

03/02/2013 at 14:34
Well done everyone, looks like everyone's coming on leaps and bounds! I've finally managed to finish week 3 after two weeks off recovering from infection and then having my wisdoms out. It was a killer but I've done it!
03/02/2013 at 16:56
Measure inch loss not weight , wt can stay static as less toned areas firm up with exercise, muscle mass weighs more than adipose tissues !
I'm a lot firmer toned and smaller but weigh more , people don't believe my weight as they assume I'm less . Sturdy legs weigh more than my none toned ones pre cycling a few years ago.

I did a long slow run, steady slow pace I could talk at for hour and 10 mins this morn, not measured distance yet on pc,
I was aiming more for endurance than distance anyway
still waiting for work rota before I can book a 10k event .

Keep up good work guys, enjoy the rest of Sunday
03/02/2013 at 19:56

Well done Becky.  One hour 10 mins is amazing!  

I dont take any notice of the scales to be honest.  CLothes size is so much more important to me.  I want to wear size 12 clothes.  I dont care what number the scales throw up at me!

03/02/2013 at 21:57

Oh .. I wish I could ignore the scales. I have a pesky half stone which I cannot ignore. I'm hoping that when I shift that I will then be able to stop thinking about the numbers and just concentrate on how I feel ... which is a hell of a lot better since I've started running!

Bella ... I know exactly what you mean about being scared have a drink now! I felt I had to get it out of my system on 1 Feb but now I want to carry on being really restrictive until I can be sure I have got into the fitness habit. For me alcohol = rubbish food on way home and mornings wasted feeling sorry for myself!!

You will so enjoy that G&T when you have it ... 

Becky ... well done for picking up where you left off. So many people must give up after having a set back only a couple of weeks in. Show's this is going to happen!

Hope you've all got lovely weeks coming up!

03/02/2013 at 23:21

Hiya all, I have only just joined runnersworld and have had a quick look at blog so far, I have recently started running and completed a 10 week beginners course building up to running 30-40 mins, I think this was similar to couch to 5km. I now run/jog 5km a couple of times a week and yesterday I completed my first 5km race (Poole Park Run) in 33.44mins, I think I started a bit quick as felt exhausted at times however am pleased that I have made that first step. I have also felt smug all weekend and told everyone that would listen about my first race. I do hope that my training will help me to complete 5km within 30 mins however I have no idea how long that could take. I am also interested in building up towards a 10km so if anyone knows any training plans please let me know. I highly recommend park run for all beginners. For all of you just starting out good luck!!! 

03/02/2013 at 23:45

hi kat, i am a huge parkrun fan now, i just ran my 4th one 

my times are 33 mins, 31, 32 mins (snow) and 28.32 mins woo, so am sure will get sub 30 mins faster than you think, i deffo was too quick on my 1st one, it hurt my lungs, i have worked out how to pace better on my running at home in evenings, then when i got to 4k sign on parkrun i went as fast as i could

i also like to tell everyone about it, i am quite proud, i don't always feel like getting up to run sat mornings but glad i did when i finish, however i prefer evening running and going to bed snug and tired 

i am also planning on a 10k , i am considering a half marathon but not yet as i have loads going on and want some good training in to give a good effort 

04/02/2013 at 14:47
Well done for getting the park runs done XcurlytwigX and Katbournemouth for doing the 5k.
I have been soooooo bad. Statred off with the couch to 5 with 2 days rest.
Last run in a hail storm and then the snow arrived....then the pavments were icy for ages and then it has been blowing gales around our way for a week or so and there are loads of big trees on my route. In short my last run was 3 weeks ago.

Went out this morning to the local park and half walked half ran for 30 mins. Didn't use Laura this time. I was dying on my feet and although not quite back to square one am pretty near it!!
Enjoyed the run in the wind and muddy fields and no dogs chased me (not that I could outrun them ) Am going out again tomorrow night and will use Laura to encourage me on the run, I think she makes me stop less.

Anyone else had a long break?
04/02/2013 at 16:13
RFR, I had a two week break due to illness and I really struggled this week going back to it. BUT, after doing 3 runs this week it's got easier so keep at it and you'll get back into it pretty quickly!
04/02/2013 at 17:42
oh good, so there's hope for me yet! To be honest i could do with a podcast with someone shouting "come on you lazy cow, put your back into it"
04/02/2013 at 21:06

Get Laura out again runforest! I don't know what I'm going to do when she leaves me.

Just done my first 25mins and she said I was a runner!

04/02/2013 at 21:20
Deffo easier with motivation in some form. I went to boot camp, outdoor fitness regiment style ,60 mins of pain lol . If left to my own devices I would have gone back home after 5 sets of anything . It's easier with everyone else .
Right mini break over , get back on it again , you'll feel great x
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.