Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

241 to 260 of 416 messages
12/02/2013 at 15:11

Hello, i'm a newbie although i'm not using couchto5k, joined a running club at the start of the year, originally walking for 4 mins and running for 2, doing that 5 times, we are now up to running for 5 mins and walking for 2. Absolutely loving it but having a problem going out on my own. Seem to get very tired very quickly and just can't manage it myself, it's annoying as I don't have anyone else to go out with!

Anyways, just found this forum today and im enjoying ready through it. Everyones doing great! x

12/02/2013 at 16:23
Hi Suzanne and Jon, nice to see other newbies like me. I'm still running on treadmill i'm going to venture outside once i complete week 5 of c25k. Might even repeat week 5 outdoors to build my confidence. I'm so inspired reading the older posts it reallyhelps to think we all started at the same point. And can progress id we increase our endurance slowly. Although i'm a bit worried as my right knee has a niggerling pain which doesn't bother me to much during the actual rin but afterward it feels a bit stiff abd aches when i go up and down stairs. I'm hoing it will ease the more weight i lose. I'm currently carrying and extra 6st i don't need.
13/02/2013 at 07:58
Hi Jon and Suzanne! Jon- yes running on roads can be quite a shock when used to treadmill! Won't take you long to get used to it though
Repeating some weeks of c25k sounds like a good idea as Sharon suggested...
13/02/2013 at 18:21

Thanks Sophski, second one done today and it's marginally easier already...I do mean marginally though hah!

13/02/2013 at 18:24
Nice one! I'm off out soon, defo gloves weather again
14/02/2013 at 22:03

Hi everyone!

Good to see some new people on here. Keep at it - it's brilliant how you can see yoursefl improving. Don't get disheartened if running outside is more difficult than you think ... I used to cover a lot more distance on the treadmill so I had to build up almost from scratch outside.

I hit 30 mins running today. Very happy as was only due a 28 min run but wanted to just carry on. Only covering 4k though so next milestone is the 5k and a parkrun!

Keep at it everyone ...  

15/02/2013 at 09:09
Hello all! Welcome to Suzanne, Jon and Sharron (did I miss anyone?)

Welcome and yes, we all started at week 1 unable to do more than 90seconds at a time! I did week 7 run 1 on Wednesday so it's run 2 tomorrow. Managed 25 ,minutes no problem, but I am slow as I'm scared of burning out. I do think though, pacing myself is key.

At the end I had loads of energy so was able to speed up for the last minute. Actually quite enjoyed it.

Only just covered 5k but I do include my 5 mins either side in that, and the whole thing took me just over 35 minutes. No records broken, but hey, I ran for 25 minutes without stopping!

I used to do treadmill running but now I love the great outdoors.somehow I'm less self conscious, as I'm more anonymous. I also get to run along the flat seafront and watch the waves which is a form of therapy in itself!

Anyway, second run of the week tonight. Can't believe I'm so close to week 8 and the end! I have the crunch to 10k programme ready to go from week 9 but that has you out for 53 minutes from the start!

I think long term I want to be capable of running for an hour, once a week - perhaps at weekends, but to just do 2x30 minute runs in the evenings after work. That will I hope speed me up a bit and mean that I really can look at that 10 miler in October.
15/02/2013 at 09:15
Crunch to 10k??? That was couch obviously, although I used to sit on the couch and crunch crisps whereas now I go running....
16/02/2013 at 14:40
Maisie- well done on your 30min run that's great!
Bella- 53 minutes from the start?! Is that including a lot of walking?
16/02/2013 at 18:09
Maisie - 30mins is fab! I did run 3 of week 5 yesterday on the treadmill, the first 15mins were ok then at about 18mins i started getting a pain in my right shoulder then a stich, i slowed my pace a little and pushed myself to the 20mins but i really didn't enjoy it. My legs hurt all night but i felt amazing today and can't believe i got through it. I'n going to plan an outdoor route and do my first outdoor run, repeating week 5.
Bella 53mins!! How do you plan to build up to that time are you going to steadily increase the time running each run or each week? I'd like to be in a position fitness wise to join in my local park run as of the end of april then bring my time to do the 5k to under 30mins before the Race for life in june. I'm so excited when i think of the future. Even had a silly thought of trail running
16/02/2013 at 19:37

Well done Sharon!  Just a thought - but pperhaps you need to have your gait analysed.  Sometimes gait can cause pain in the shoulder!

Its amazing when you get through the next stage isnt it.  Even if it hurts at the time, it feels so good afterwards.   I felt like that yesterday,

Oh yes Sophski - the 53 minute plan is a 5 min warm up, then 4 x 10 minute runs, with a 1 min walk inbetween each.  It is a bit of a jump, but the whole 10k plan for the first 8 weeks is the same as the C25K plan, so I am basically starting on week 9.

So effectively you go from run 3 of week 8 which is a 30 min run and the 2x5 mins walk either side (total 40 min) to being out for 53 mins in total.  Its a big jump of 10 minutes running in total, but Im not going to worry too much if I dont manage to run it all. I just want to be able to run for an hour eventually.

Maisie - Im using ZenLabs C to 10k (C210k) app on the iPhone, so it will increase the time for me.  Its the same program as most people are doing up to week 8 and then it carries on for another 6 weeks to get you running for 60 minutes total (plus 5mins walk either side)

Oh - and in a fit of madness, I have signed me and OH up to the Great South Run. All paid for and committed.  So by October, I need to be able to do 10miles!

17/02/2013 at 16:45

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your good wishes about the 30 mins - and the good news is it wasn't a fluke - I just did it again! Though last night involved a few wines as have a friend down staying, so blimey it was a struggle! Frankly, I didn't think I was going to get to 10 mins when I started ...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Think I might just try and up my time by 5 mins or so each week until I can do an hour too, but if that doesn't work I'll have a look at the app. I have dowloaded it, but the thought of having to stop for walks again feels a bit weird?  

Bella - Great South Run sounds like a fantastic thing to aim for! And a training buddy too in your OH!

Sharon - I've had all sort of brilliant running fantasies so trail running not that outlandish! Not sure where you get to do it when you live in the middle of the city though. I can see my local park but it only takes 3 mins to get round

18/02/2013 at 21:23

Well done Maisie!  I imagine that after a few wines it is less easy to get out there!

I do find that the first 10 minutes are the hardest though.  Once Im beyond that, and my rebellious 'I want to stop' side calms down, I just get on with it.

As for walking again, I know what you mean, but I think there are good reasons for it.  I find that the walking breaks help make my intervals a bit faster.  The long runs help me learn to pace myself and the shorter ones give me the ability to push a bit harder without fear of burning out.  I actually manage to cover more distance on my interval runs than I do on my long runs.  

Well, yesterday I did week 7 run 3.  Wow. That was hard.  The problem was because I didnt drink enough water during the day.  I can run without food, but to try and do it on one americano 7 hours before, is a bad idea.

Lesson learned.  I just found it really, really hard. Legs like lead etc.

I will be out again tomorrow night for my first run of week 8!!

Actually, I cant believe I got here.  Its so exciting that I have finally got to the point where I am running for 30 minutes (or will be by the end of the week)

18/02/2013 at 21:27

Hahaha on one Americano - good attempt but no wonder you learned your lesson!

4 sessions down - 24 to go! Actually I've just shelled out on some Nike Lunarglide+4, in anticipation to keep this a long term thing. Does anyone use them and does it make much difference or have I been conned by marketing bumph?

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 21:27
18/02/2013 at 21:29

WHat are they?  Funny you should mention it as I am looking for some new running trousers.  It seems like a good graduation present to myself for completing the C25k!

18/02/2013 at 21:31

These! Running shoes. I was using some old five aside trainers before, but I tend to supinate quite a bit (in fact I broke my 5th metatarsal twice playing football in my right foot) so trying to avoid injury with proper shoes.

Sportsdirect seemed to have LOADS of discount trousers

18/02/2013 at 21:39

Ah - I see.  Well, they look pretty swish!  Im a sucker for a good bit of advertising myself!

I have SD trousers already, but the ankle zip has already gone on them.  No problem with spending another £15 on some more, but I do hate Sports Direct!

18/02/2013 at 22:03

Oh - what's wrong with SD? I've never used them before tbh!

18/02/2013 at 23:03

Oops accidental post!

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 23:03
19/02/2013 at 15:50

Because I have no barometer of how I'm doing, can someone tell me please?

I'm on a C25K plan (Runkeeper which is every other day for 28 days of activity).

Day 6 - (based on a 2.5km run) is averaging 6m38s per km. I know that's terrible based on my friends who achieve well under 4m I know I'm new but it's a little disheartening. Also, that includes 2 bouts of having to walk not jog! Eek.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.