Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

21 to 40 of 416 messages
03/01/2013 at 08:52

Hello! Can I join you?

I joined a local running club last night - after speaking with friends the club had come highly recommended. I have been out of any exercise action for about 9 months, I had trained as a zumba instructor, and then my FT work got really busy - so I had to stop my classes; and then in the summer I contracted meningitis, and its only really within the past month that I have felt "normal" energy wise! So I thought - here comes the New Year... I'm going to do it! and I did... Aching a little this morning. 

Really appreciate the advice from Bruce and RoadRunner - good to have - thank you! 

03/01/2013 at 17:28
Hi everyone! So how are we all doing? I went for my second run after work this afternoon I didn't really want to cos felt tired but I feel much better for doing it - it helps loosen my muscles and helps me to de-stress. I guess that's the thing to remember if you struggle to get motivated - once you're doing it, it's great!
03/01/2013 at 18:42
Hi all. My first run / walk completed this evening. Very pleased with myself. Using the 0 - -5K app so getting step by step guidance all the way. Well done to everyone else who have managed to get started. It's great to know others are doing the same thing and really motivating.
03/01/2013 at 21:00

Just popping in to say hi.  Not completely new but have only been running 7 months or so...on and off due to man flu and a broken foot

New thread is a nice idea for recent joiners as the forums can seem a little clicky sometimes (although everybody seems nice).

Only advice I can offer is take it easy. If you think you're taking it easy already...maybe take it a little easier  My injury time out has been due to me taking things too quickly even when I've thought I've been sensible.

HAPPY 2013

Mart

03/01/2013 at 23:18

Hi KatieInJapan,

I've got a BMI of 44 so I'll be going pretty much walking pace but in a running style. If it gets the heart pumping and as long as I can breathe it's a good starting point and it'll get easier ... I hope!

First run planned for this weekend and I'm rather looking forward to it even though I'll probably look like a bouncing beetroot! lol!

04/01/2013 at 20:09

Second run done earlier and actually managed to run more than I walked!

My BMI is in the high 30s, not sure of exact figure, but haven't got a phone that does apps so just building it up gradually with a circuit - am planning on trying to run most the route once I can run the current one if that makes sense? I'm also alternating which way round the circuit I go

04/01/2013 at 21:02

Evening newbies...

I'm also a fellow newbie, did my first run (or attempt) last Sunday.

I've put so much weight on over the last 18 months and I'm now at my biggest weight (13st 12lbs) which for a 5ft2" female is a good 3-4 stone overweight.

So, this year I want to shift at least 3 stone & tone up so I decided to give running a go. 

I'm really unfit & although I've done loads of exercise in the past, I haven't done any for almost 8-9 months.  I tried to start running June 2011 but it went terribly wrong, and I ended up suffering with shin splints which completey put me off & I haven't tried it since.  Well, not until now.

I have downloaded the Couch 2 5K app on my i-phone & with some additional guidance from a runner friend I started following the plan last week.  Just completed day 3 of week 1 today.  

I'm not sure how well I'm going to do as I've already started feeling some discomfort in my lower shins again (currrently sat with an ice pack on whilst typing), and I don't know what pain is normal & what isn't.

Next run is Sunday but I'm ggoing to repeat week 1 I think.

Good luck everyone, it'll be great to keep track of how everyone get on.

Emily xx

04/01/2013 at 22:05

Emily have you got your running gait analysed by someone professional? You're from Doncaster iirc from another thread so a trip to sweatshop at meadowhall or metres to miles out at epworth would be an excellent idea for you.

Also sounds that you might be being over conscious of how you appear out on the road and are not "letting yourself down" correctly in that your trying to maintain a rigid running form.

Best thing though is that you sound determined to stick to it this time and your mate should help you with the motivation side of things no end.

Im only just getting back into the swing of things again myself after being wholly inactive for about 2 months prior to xmas. Did a whole lot of drinking and not a great deal else. It's shocking how quickly you lose your base level of fitness.

The best thing though, which is what l noticed last march when l first took up dedicated running is the improvements you make in the first few months and year are gob smacking.

04/01/2013 at 22:09

HI folks, i am new to this and have my own thread that I put up to get some advice.

Everyone seems really friendly and helpful.

Using the C25K and it is awesome. Shin pain is slowly going following cramps but still hurts after 4 runs. I expect it will be a month before it goes probably. Running every other day is good I find.

04/01/2013 at 22:22
Using the couch25 too and due for my 3rd run this week. Week 1.
John, you are right the pocast is great.
Am already looking forward to my next run. Haven't have shin splints yet (touch wood). They sound awful.
Have had an achy lower back though. Had a read and looks like as a beginner my muscles will take time to strengthen.
Also might be down to not running in a more upright position.

Other than that, all good.
05/01/2013 at 16:18

Hi everyone,  I've never ran before in my life, but used to be very active with other sports.  The last 7 years I have not done any excercise at all and finally realised it is time I do something.  I started running just before Christmas and did my 9th workout yesterday.

I do try and stretch before and after runs, but everything I do is what I remember from rugby practice in the eighties and I just do not feel like I am stretching all the muscle groups properly.  I've also noticed roadRunner76 mentioning dynamic and static stretching.  Can anyone point me to somewhere where this is explained including some examples of how to stretch properly?

05/01/2013 at 18:24

jbrunner, i am exactly like you, loads of sport in the 80 (football for me at least 4 times a week). I also dont think i am stretching enough compared to what i used to do. However you will probably remember we used to run as a warm up and that is possibly why.

Runforest my lower back also ached especially at the sides, just using muscle groups that are unused for years will cause that.

05/01/2013 at 20:45

Hi everyone, 

After a few false starts in the past I have decided that this is the year I become a runner. Starting slowly with a C25K plan this week ... biggest problem at the moment is keeping myself in check as I feel like trying to run every day and also carry on running when I should be walking. Taken a day off today and hoping I don't lose momentum so going to try getting inspiration online!

Good luck all!

06/01/2013 at 09:43

To answer my own question about stretching, I have found two videos I will share with any one else wanting to know about dynamic and static stretching.

Dynamic Stretching

Static Stretching

I did this before and after my run this morning.

06/01/2013 at 12:46
Hello! Gosh, so pleased to see this thread has taken off!

I developed a sore throat and a big case of the CBAs midweek and FINaLLY went for my first run this morning. I was outside for about 2 seconds when I remembered how much I love this!

I did the first of the C25K programme, and found it easier than I expected. In fact because the programme I have downloaded to my, iPhone is a. Bit crap, I ended up running more than I should. I'm off to download the Robert Ullery podcast I used last time. The app i downloaded doesn't talk or vibrate so you have to look at the screen all the time.

The RU thing I used before is quite good and although the music is a bit dodgy I actually started enjoying it last time.

Anyway. I'm going to read back and get to know you all. I'm determined this will be my year.
06/01/2013 at 13:35
Right. I'm up to date! Sounds like we are all in pretty much the same boat.

Lisa - great to hear about your weight loss. I'm a big fan of the low carb primal thing and believe in intermittent fasting as well, but I won't go into it as its a bit contentious! I am on day 5 now of my hard core diet and I feel better already. Cutting out the booze was a biggie for me, but necessary.

I have run before.... Well, I say"run" but like others it's more of a shuffle. But I do it for me - noone else - and I've learned that most people are actually looking at you and thinking "I wish I could be bothered to get out and run like she is" rather than "blimey, look at that lardy cow shuffling along the seafront"

The first time I tried c25k I failed at week 3, and I discovered I was try to run too fast. Once I started to think about it as a jogging programme rather than a running programme I had more success.

I ran before pregnancy and no doubt it helps. I had high hopes of being one of those people who co tinned running throughout pregnancy but the first 6 weeks of my pregnancy were so exhausting I felt like I had been hit by a bus by 1pm each afternoon, and I just stopped doing any exercise. I did walk everywhere though and once baby arrived, I decided to walk all the time, as I didn't have to think about work or being anywhere.

I think pregnancy made me fitter to be honest, so long as you dont sit on your arse for 9 months eating chocolate biscuits, the body has to work harder with the extra weight, the smaller space for your lungs etc.

Last year, I was egged on to do e great south run, which I did finish, but it took me ages. I walked most of it and it nearly killed me! It did motivate me though and I would definitely like to do it thins year. I'm trying to convince him indoors to join me.

Well. That's me. First run under my belt and the dream of a smaller arse is motivating me to go out early next week.

I agree with those who said to be careful about speed, and doing too much. The recovery days really seem to help.

Look forward to sharing this with you all!
06/01/2013 at 14:45

Just back in from my third week 2 C25K run and really pleased. Glad I made myself take yesterday off as I was a bit achey yesterday but ready to get out again today. Using the NHS podcasts, which I think are great so far.

Minor crisis before I left the house as I discovered the hoodie I had been running in wasn't dry ... cue rustling through my drawers till I found a long sleeve, bright pink, hot weather trekking thing I bought for the Australian outback! Safe to say I looked a complete spanner with that under my running top but determined not to let what people might be thinking stop me.

Runningbella ... very impressed with you being able to do a serious diet as well as starting running again. I'd like to lose my Xmas tummy but I know I'll get sidetracked if I try and do anything else at the same time so trying to ignore it. I am off the booze too though ... partly to avoid fuzzy heads getting in the way of getting out there in the morning!

06/01/2013 at 14:57

Maisie - Im a bit of an all or nothing person to be honest. And I know exercise makes me hungry, so its damage linitation. If I didnt have a diet plan in mind I would be chuffing crisps after I get in from a run!  This way, I get home and have something on plan.

I also ended up running in a bright pink thing.  Its a running top I bought 2 years ago when I dreamed of gliding along the seafront, as a vision of loveliness - rather than the puffing fat lump shuffling along....

Anyway, I couldnt find anything else to wear so I bit the bullet and ran out the door.  I am amazed at how much clothing some people are wearing though.  Even my OH (who is on the same programme) runs with a hoodie on and a wooly hat.  I would overheat in a second dressed like that.  I noticed lots of "proper" runners wearing heavy clothes today as well.  Is it because Im so unfit that I heat up so quickly?

Right. I promised the little one a walk along the seafront and OH has promised me a coffee half way, so Im off to put some proper clothes on (currently wearing post run / post shower slobbing kit)

06/01/2013 at 15:25
Probably should have posted my thread in here tbh I did my first run of 2013 today and feel fab
06/01/2013 at 18:39
Welcome Martha! Well done you. What programme are you following?
21 to 40 of 416 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.