Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

381 to 400 of 416 messages
19/03/2013 at 14:25

Hi Lanky Lad! Welcome Its not a dumb question at all - Its the Couch to 5k app or podcasts which you can download onto your phone or ipod which helps you start by mixing walking and running and builds it up slowly to help your body get used to the stresses. There are quite a few developers of apps on adriod/blackberry or iphones or you can download NHS podcasts. It really is fantastic as it builds up week by week over an 8 week period. I really would advise following it!

You're welcome Bored Robots. (love the Nickname btw!)

I had planned to do that Kat as wasn't meant to be drinking Sat night - Opps! Well they say you learn best from your mistakes! 

19/03/2013 at 14:56

Hi All,

Lanky lad its not a dumb question, i have no idea also about what is a c25k run.

19/03/2013 at 15:04

Apps? Hmmm! Must look for some.

I'm starting my running tonight after a 2 year lazy period. Back then I was a bit fitter but I would not say I am exactly direct from the couch. All the beginner programs seem to assume you can't run for more than a minute or so. I think I can probably run for about 10 minutes before needing to walk. Well if I pace it that is which is always hard as my mind says I';m fitter than I am so I always push it.

Anyway, I am too "fit" for the beginner but I am not sure I can manage 15 minutes straight running which I think the intermediates start at. I do like the idea of that smart trainer function on this site. Think I will time and distance my run tonight and enter that into it to see what I does. I'd like to start from where I am not from where the programs seem to pidgeonhole the newbie.

Anyone else noticed the same thing with online training programs??

19/03/2013 at 15:10

A lot of them are aimed towards the beginner runner. The good thing is that it you want, you can skip ahead to where your fitness levels are now. If you can run for 10 mins already then perhaps get the Zenlabs couch to 10k and start from week 5/6 and carry on from there....

I can't really comment on any online prgrammes as haven't really looked at those yet

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 15:11
19/03/2013 at 15:13

Does anyone else on here use Endomondo? I've just started using it and I'm quite impressed with it as can log my cycling on there which I wasn't able to do on the Nike running app

19/03/2013 at 15:50

Yes, I've used Endomondo before - very impressive and accurate to boot! Going to have to download it again (not used it in a couple of months) and use it on tonight’s inaugural r*n.

19/03/2013 at 21:45

Hi all ... I love endomondo! Definitely the most user friendly of those tracking apps. 

20/03/2013 at 20:57

Hi all, 

Any running excitement today? Reached a major milestone for me ... busy day at work after a insomniac night and all I wanted to do this pm was get back and go run! Just did 5k but fastest so far ... though I am supposed to be slowing down and getting the miles in.

Too much of a beginner to judge my pace well yet I think

20/03/2013 at 21:36

Little bit of running excitement, rivergirl.

Went for my first run and it went quite well. Didn't feel as bad as I thought and the only reason I couldn't run the full distance was because I got a bloody stitch. My ankles and legs felt fine so it was doubly annoying that I had to walk so much.

Hope the stitches go away soon! :P

20/03/2013 at 22:05

Bodes well for your second run back BR!

20/03/2013 at 22:39
Well, it's the third day in a row I've failed to start running again. Seems I'm set for an epic fail with this week.
Day 1 got dragged out with partner, pram and baby for a walk
Day 2 I got home late, straight into 2hours of trying to get a baby to sleep followed by a very late cooked dinner.
Day 3 I got home a little late, baby to sleep early, dinner was already cooked and I procrastinated until it got too late.

I swear that the first run is the hardest. I will make it...
20/03/2013 at 22:47

Hmm Lanky, think with a baby around you'll be going with their schedule not yours! Good luck getting out for that first one soon ...

21/03/2013 at 10:30
Wow lots to read up on! I've been out for a couple of weeks with tendonitis.. Back running now just being careful. Good to see lots of newcomers.

Another vote here for endomondo .
Lol lanky lad, how old is your baby? I have to fit in runs after husband gets home.. then usually on bedtime duty with our little girl when I get back! I'm less likely to go out after I've got her to sleep cos sometimes it takes a while and I feel I need a rest after!

Hope everyone's enjoying their running, I want some warmer weather soon please!
21/03/2013 at 18:19

Hi All,

Sopski I feelthe same, so many posts, and I have just missed about a day.

LankyLad my sympathy with having to learn to run round the baby.

I have no kids but have missed running for a week now. Its been below freezing most days, and I don't want to gain an injury by falling on ice.

Glad you got your first run in Bored Robots, hope it cntinues to go well for you.

Rivergirl good for you, try not to worry too muuch at the moment about distance I'm sure it will come in time.

GingerG I agree with you regarding skipping bits and moving back or forwards with a training schedule, that's why I havee picked the HalHigdon 30 weeks. I may not run a marathon this year, but I would like to do a couple of HM.

Hope your all okay?

26/03/2013 at 14:08

Hi All,

Is everyone okay? Just seems quiet.

26/03/2013 at 20:45

Hi all.

Found this thread after looking for advice on hip pain after running but it seems I can relate to the this thread completely.

My daughter is 8 months old and me and my sis in law have decided to get fit for Summer. We have been managing to run about 2.5 to 3 miles about twice a week and feek really motivated now. We're just trying to work out how to develop onto the next acheivement. So I see this is where these helpful apps come in.

Think the most important thing I'm going to do now is invest in some proper running shoes as i have now realised (after a week off at Center Parcs) that (hip pain) it is running related so I'm hoping my local running shop will be able to advise me on that.

BTW does this website have a mobile app as well?

Will let you know how I get on with my shoes!

x

28/03/2013 at 10:12

Hitting all sorts of new targets

First 5k, first mile without stopping, breaking PBs already :P

Surely I can't keep this up forever!

28/03/2013 at 20:02

Hi All,

I not been in for a few days or a  week or so, Its too much forme to catch up with your posts so I will just start from here.

Bored Roobots great news.

I coulld have gone to the gym when the snow hit us, but I didn't, and the week before I realised that I was not going to reach my targets for the Manchester marathon, it was a tough decision, but with the bad weather I feelI made the right decision.

ON the plus side, I have volunteered to help with the PR here, it will give me a chance to learn the route and pace myself better before runnuing in them.

To be honest I'm finding it a struggle to switch from speending 4 hours in the pub, to 4 hours on the road. I have Dyspraxia which makes it very difficult to stick to schedules or routines.

On the plus side, I'mhopefully going to  the gym on Saturday, and do a slow 5k on the treadmill.

Hope everyone is okay?

30/03/2013 at 18:09
Went shopping at a discount village near my parents' house this morning, and I maaaaay have come out the Nike store with a pair of Lunarglides.

I've been eyeing these up for a while, but I was holding off on buying shoes until I got gait-analysed. Having said that it's not like I'll be doing mega mileage in them at the moment, and I've no injuries or niggles to worry about. Besides, they were only ??35, so if I really don't get on with them I haven't lost too much (I'll wear them to run errands in, they look pretty funky!)

Not looking forward to running on Monday with my new kicks though, the Sweatshop folks I run with will know I didn't get them from there! :S
30/03/2013 at 20:28

Hi Terpsi!

Jealous! I've been eyeing up Lunarglides too. Also waiting for gait analysis, but I don't need new shoes at the mo as the random pair of adidas I bought when starting seem to be holding up.

I would have done the same thing though at that price! Sure the sweatshop people wont's give a monkeys

Did my first parkrun this morning ... yay!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.