Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

81 to 100 of 416 messages
12/01/2013 at 10:13

Listen to your body. If you don't fancy food that probably means you are not quite right. If you feel poorly and go out and have a bad run it might put you off going the next time, because the memory of the previous run is bad. (My motivation is always affected by how my previous run went!) See how you feel in a few hours?

12/01/2013 at 11:04
Bovrilparty, I love your post, i'm listening to you but my problem is I'm an anti-running runner! My body never wants to go out!! no actually it's probably head that doesn't want to go out. Insanity to run in this cold it keeps telling me ! Just organising running gear for weekend and maybe that'll help. I know after first run (been off for six months) I'll remember some of the joy and no doubt some of the pain. I'm shamed by motivation of those on the forum..very impressed by those who are out there for the very first time
12/01/2013 at 12:38
Afternoon all! Susan - tough love but I would say go for it. Stay close to home, don't push yourself, but if you are a bit off colour a 30 minute walk won't hurt and as an ex-runner I bet you will be loving being outside again within a few minutes. Take it easy though. You will know if its malaise or just laziness within a few minutes and you can always come home,

So speaks someone who put off my restart for 12 months!

Anyway, week 2 run 3 under my belt. Today, it is freezing and pouring (the old man is snoring) the sea spray on the prom was right in my face, and I was running into the wind. Within seconds my face and hands were numb! However, I always find it easier to run in the winter. It's from April onwards that I get lazy because I get so hot!

I run in a couple of helly Hansen type long sleeved tops and some lightweight jersey trousers. Not ideal, but all I have at the moment. I wore a cap today to keep the rain off my face, but I couldn't run in a wooly hat!

Previously I have purchased a running shell top in bright yellow with pockets and things but fund it flapping around to be deeply irritating, so I got rid.

I've also found it easy to run in the ice and snow, I just found an off road route and risked the dog poo and skippy mud. In my mind, I know if I slip I will land on the grass so not too painful. I guess to a risk, it i enjoyed my icy cold runs when I was doing g them 3 years ago.

Next run for me will now be Tuesday unless by some miracle I wake up stupid early on Monday. Monday nights hubby is out so I can't leave little boy alone. Of course my temptation is to go out again tomorrow, but I know that's the route to injury so I won't.

Have a good weekend all. Remember, it's only rain!
12/01/2013 at 12:38
Bovrilparty wrote (see)

Listen to your body. If you don't fancy food that probably means you are not quite right. If you feel poorly and go out and have a bad run it might put you off going the next time, because the memory of the previous run is bad. (My motivation is always affected by how my previous run went!) See how you feel in a few hours?

I went back to bed and slept for two hours! Going up the stairs made me feel a bit peculiar so I guessed running was probably not a good idea. I'll see how I feel later on, but may run on Sunday instead. Two rest days won't hurt, will they?

12/01/2013 at 12:39

Bovrilparty I'm with you on the last run success = next run motivation front. It would have upset me to have done bady.

12/01/2013 at 12:52
Dear Katy stay in bed! If you've slept for two hours then I'd say you are headed for something. Flu seems rife at moment. Day in bed might mean you don't need a week in bed. Two days off might be just what you need. Nothing worse than going out and having a bad run, takes double the effort then to get back out there. I had flu at Easter but did Great Ireland run after an afternoon out of bed. Pain like I've never felt and it was just plain stupid to have done it. Listen to your body as Bovril says
12/01/2013 at 13:01

How do you feel after sleeping Katy? Two rest days will certainly not hurt! As your motivation is also directly affected by the success of previous runs it could have done more harm than good to go out and run badly and set you back more than 2 days (and that's without being sick halfway around!). Later you may feel more up for it.

I think IF you feel better later I would go for it, as the bad weather over the next few days may mean you are stuck in whether you like it or not! Depending on how you feel about running in snow/ice?

I have never done it and manage to fall over just walking on snow...and plain concrete come to think of it...so I will probably give it a miss!

It's dry today though if a bit cold, so I managed to get out and ran into the wind on the way out and into the wind on the way back. How is that even possible?! I was hoping for a tailwind on the way back!

Susan I totally understand having just come back from a break myself. On my first run earlier this week I didn't go far or fast and I walked some of it, but when I got back in and had a shower I felt awesome. And that's what I try and remember when I need motivation, the feeling of achievement after a run.

Also when I am struggling I force myself to put my kit on and then I HAVE to go, as I will feel a total failure if I put it on just to take it off. It is hard to kick yourself out of the door after a break.

12/01/2013 at 13:06

I feel groggy but a bit better, thanks. Not sure where I stand on the idea of food though!! We're doing the weekly food shop shortly (yawn) and I'm planning to drag the family to Decathlon to pick up some warmer running kit, which should help me face the early and cold starts.

12/01/2013 at 13:33
Kit on!! Going out!! Thanks B!
12/01/2013 at 13:52

Well done SusanE!

I've had an omlette and am starting to feel more human. I'm unlikely to get flu as I'm vaccinated every year against it. I do work in a school though, so am around a lot of germs and with the medication I'm on after my transplant, am potentially vulnerable to any and all passing infections.

12/01/2013 at 14:14

Woohoo nice one Susan!!

Good to hear you're feeling a bit better Katy! Being sick is no fun, especially not on a weekend!

12/01/2013 at 17:24
Blimey, pleased you didn't go out after all Katy! 2 hrs nap probably did you the power of good!

Susan, well done. The hardest part one times is getting your kit on. After that, it's only 30 minutes isn't it?

Just spent some money at sports direct on kit. Nothing special, but a day glo yellow top and a black one. I don't want to be seen but I think it would be irresponsible to run in black after dark!
12/01/2013 at 17:55
Lovely run and walk. Probably a bit too far for first run of year but lovely
13/01/2013 at 09:46
Managed to get out the door for "run" number 8
I've decided to repeat the first week of the 0-5K programme, I have a lot of weight to shift and feel I ought to spend a little longer on building strength before distance. Comparing my times from yesterday and today to the first time I did them, my average speed has increased so there's definitely some improvement. Also, I no longer feel like the running intervals will kill me, so I guess my lungs are getting used to it, too!

Katy - I'm in the "sleep it off" camp. Whether it's flu or something else, soldiering through will probably just mean you prolong your suffering. Rest up and let us know how you feel tomorrow!

Well done Susan! From the news sites it looks like Blighty is chuffing freezing this week. My hat's off to everyone who manages to force themselves out the door!
13/01/2013 at 15:17

An extra rest day did me no harm. I was up and out today, testing my new (cheap) kit. I thought I'd got the right size leggings, but apparently not, and I very nearly exposed myself! Fortunately I noticed the draught before it was too late!!

I'm doing the Zombie 5k programme, which amuses me greatly and seems to be pitched right for my (in)ability. I'm on week 2 and after a ten minute wam up walk, I did 30 second runs followed by heel lifts and 90 second walks x 5, then a ten minute free form run. I timed myself during this section and ran for 40, then 50 seconds, before managing to do A WHOLE MINUTE. I know it sounds like nothing, but it's a big deal to me and I'm really pleased with myself.

Roll on Tuesday!

13/01/2013 at 17:34

Hi all, 

Just did my third week three c25k run and am looking forward to the challenge of running for five minutes solid next week. Will be a bit of a milestone for me!

But blimey, it IS cold out there. Really don't want to go out without gloves again but can't see myself getting to the shops for a few days.Think I may be out in suede gloves for a couple of runs at this rate!

Great to see a few more people who are starting/restarting on this thread. It's a real morale boost thinking of you all striding out through the door too!

13/01/2013 at 17:55
Well done Katy for your minute run! I am always surprised how LONG a minute feels. I follow a runners world programme for getting back into running and a minute is always a long time when running but incredibly short during the rest walk!! I use c25 as well Maisie five mins constant running is a big jump Nd I can't remember which week it is but it suddenly jumps to eight mins or something and that really does feel like a killer.
Four hours on the hills today. Prepping for a bit of trail running with my beautiful new Osprey rucksack. (Treat to myself) feel all rosy cheeked and healthy. Sun was bright for once and it was a really beautiful day
14/01/2013 at 01:39
I'm starting Week 2 today, Katy! Just giving the sun another hour or so to dry up the remains of last night's sleet... Glad to hear you're feeling better.
14/01/2013 at 08:47

The dreaded blisters have arrived. I always get them on my arches, particularly my left foot! When I was half marathon training a few years ago they were a real annoyance.

I have changed my trainers, laced them up looser/tigher, changed my socks, tried plasters, compeed and electrical tape wrapped around my foot to reduce friction, used vaseline! I used to run home from work and my colleagues used to think I was mad wrapping gaffer tape around my foot!! It worked ok though as it didn't slip off as easily as the plasters.

The vaseline was working this time but after my last run on Sat they have increased in size noooo! I had a rest day yesterday so I didn't go out but they might have prevented me from going as I have no plasters or electrical tape atm! Must try not to let blisters stop me from running, perhaps I need to enter a race so that I have no choice but to run on them like before!

Good luck to all running in the cold today, I will be trying to force myself out of the door soon-ish...

14/01/2013 at 11:01

Hi all - just run Week 2, Day 1 this morning... the step up from running 1 min, walking 90 secs to running 90 secs, walking 2 mins was surprisingly hard! Feel great though - nothing like getting out and running across the snow as dawn rises!

Hope all the other newbies are hanging in there!

81 to 100 of 416 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.