Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

141 to 160 of 416 messages
21/01/2013 at 17:39

Hang on! So my app WON'T have me running 25K in half an hour by March? 

21/01/2013 at 17:48

if it does i will deffo start following it 

i want to get my 5k time under 30 mins  - slowly does it  - i get impatient and want quicker results 

21/01/2013 at 21:15

Curly - 5k in 30 minutes is a goal I can only aspire towards!!  Well done you.

25k?  Are you all mad?

Its on the last page, but who was asking about the GPS things?

Your ipod touch will be able to cope with the C25k apps.  None of them (that I know of) use the GPS function on my phone.  They just talk to you. Mine allows you to play your own music at the same time.

The alternative is to search for Robert Ullery Cool Runnings - which is 9 podcasts (just google it) and he talks to you while playing his music,  Its not an app, but a series of tracks.  I used this years ago with my old ipod classic which doesnt do 'apps'

My app is by Zen Labs and they also do a 10k and a half marathon one - so I will be moving onto those next!

Dom and I use Endomondo as well which runs in the background while I run. It logs your activity and speed and also your route, and you can review your history on the main website. I used it a few years ago before I got an iPhone and used to just plot my route on the map so you can see how far you have gone,.

21/01/2013 at 21:35
Hello! Another noob-ish 'runner' here, out of running for at least a few years- also had a baby in between, a little girl who is nearly 10 months! About 4 years ago I ran a 10k so am not a total novice but feel like I'm starting from scratch...

Was hoping to join in an active thread and seems there is a few people in a similar situation! I'm looking to do at least one 10k this year, and start doing regular 5ks with parkruns.

First run was Friday in the snow! Only managed about 13mins with a little walk in between but felt nice to get out there again

Hope you're all enjoying your runs!
21/01/2013 at 21:39

Hi Soph - similar sitiuation to me, except my little man is 18 months.  I did a 5 miler in 2009 (pre pregnancy) and came last but 1 at 58 minutes. Im hoping to do the same race this year and beat both milestones!

I also did the Great South Run last year with absolutely no training, because I told someone I would.... big mistake, but I did finish it in just over 2 hours and didnt die.

Welcome to our little group.  13 minutes sounds amazing!  Im about to move onto week 4 of  the couch to 5k running programme and Im dreading having to run for 5 monutes without stopping!

21/01/2013 at 23:12

i will look in ipod touch apps , thanks for advice

the snow is delaying my running and my achey right foot so i went swimming this evening instead and am shattered , swimming is much harder for me for some reason 

i love our parkrun, its deffo easier to run that with more effort than what i put in my own, as you have everyone else to keep up with , there were over 300 on the first 2 weeks in jan, last sat was about 150 but it had snowed loads and i guess people who normally bring their kids etc didn't come out  - not  very buggy friendly in snow 

21/01/2013 at 23:17
Hi Curly, the "Zombies, run!" app lets you choose either GPS or accelerometer, so you can use it ona treadmill or without connectivity. It plays your music and issues instructions (and sound effects ) through your headphones so you don't have to look at the screen or press any buttons. I haven't tried any others, but I'm sure they all allow for running on a treadmill, so they must have a non-GPS option.
22/01/2013 at 06:59
Mine works on a treadmill. I think most do.

I love the zombie idea!
22/01/2013 at 10:56

Hi all - how's everyone coping with the ice? I should be doing Day 2 of Week 3 today, but the combination of a sudden load of work in London (I live in Oxford) and icy pavements means I may have to wait until Saturday... it's too dark to run around the park before or after work, and too treacherous to risk running on the pavements.

Bit gutted about it - I'd been sticking religiously to the run day-rest day routine for seven runs... worried that now having five rest days between runs will set me back a bit.

22/01/2013 at 14:46
Went for a long walk with buggy today- I'd feel alright running in the snow daytime but would be scared of slipping as it freezes up at night!

Bells well done on the great south run! I'm sure that bit of background running helps even though it was a while ago- not dying always a bonus!

Curly- def up for my local parkrun, though maybe not for a few weeks so I don't embarrass myself too much!

I've got zombies run aswell! Is pretty cool
22/01/2013 at 19:21
All the apps say I need different operating system I have 1st gen iPod touch , maybe that's why , I will manage with music for now . The snow is getting on my nerves now , it's frozen solid , bad enough working in it , I walked home from work , don't fancy running on it though
22/01/2013 at 21:26

Edited because Laptop reposted the same message again.....

Anyway, I feel for you with all that snow.  The 'sunny' south got off lightly and its all but gone today - but it started again this evening (while I was out running in it)

About having a few extra days off.  It doesnt seem to matter.  4 or 5 days is probably ok and you will be surprised at how easy you find the next run. Or at least that is my experience from the last 2 runs after a 4 day break.  OH said the same.

I was supposed to be on Run 3 of week 3 today, and I came home from work, passed the baby to my hubby and gt changed. Stuck the iphone on and went out the door.  Half way through the second run I thought 'this feels like a long 3 minutes' so I checked the phone and found I had moved on to week 4 (I was looking at it last night)

But I managed most of it (the second 5 minutes was a killer and I had to walk for about 90 seconds of it)

Anyway, dont stress about the weather.  Its better to stay indoors than break your neck!

And I've managed to find out how to friend people on Endomondo - you just use the search function. Simple!  You need a full name though so if anyone wants to buddy up with me then let me know and Ill give you my real name!  Ive already found Dom!

Happy running!  Im shattered - time for bed.

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 21:34
23/01/2013 at 11:18
Ouch!
I didn't have to work today so I walked all over the city. First, to the park: 34 mins; then 0-5K training: 34 mins, continuing into a walk out to the Hard Rock Cafe: 26 mins; and finally back into the city for my Japanese lesson: 51 minutes. Everything aches from my waist down, but I think I've made up for the two days I chickened-out because of the rain.
Incidentally, I had a salad at HRC, so feeling particularly virtuous right now
23/01/2013 at 11:32
Well done Kate. It's all exercise isn't it!

I picked the filling out of a sandwich at a meeting yesterday. Noone took any notice and the boys were just happy they got more chips and crisps (who needs chips and crisps?)

Weighed myself today and didn't like the results. I feel thinner though.
23/01/2013 at 12:06
That's a lot of walking Kate! Are you following diets aswell? I'm trying to watch what I eat, currently way to much sugar and general crap - seriously need to cut down. My weight is ok I'm more worried about the health implications of my ridiculous chocolate/empty calorie food obsession!
23/01/2013 at 13:25
Sometimes it's better to measure inch loss than weight at beginning. If there is ample padding to lose , body shape and tone will change rapidly without much effect on weight . I got well into exercise last year (not running though which is why am on new runner bit) I gained much needed 5kg and now have solid legs - which I love , my abs are nearly visible too , I try to keep some feminine curvature though
I only eat fish , or vege alternatives , too much cheese and have a terrible addiction to haribo tangfastics lol my poor teeth x
23/01/2013 at 13:25
Sophski: not really. I quit smoking last year, this year I've taken up running (after several months to let my lungs get their breath back!), I'll get more serious about dieting some other time. If I try to do it all at once, failing in one thing will probably make me give up on the whole project. I'm very overweight, and I do eat healthy meals, but I eat too many desserts. I'm making something of an effort to avoid the worst stuff like refined sugars and processed food, but at the moment I'm concentrating on forming a solid exercise habit that I'll stick with. If I'm still running 3-4 times a week by next New Year, I'll call 2013 a success regardless of my weight!
23/01/2013 at 13:30
I wish it would rain here and wash away the snow , I had a half hour slow jog dodging the compacted ice , prob not very far mind , but half hour is prob better than distance .
Long walks are brill , I love walking , and have an enthusiastic cocker spaniel to accompany me
23/01/2013 at 13:31
Curly: I agree. I'd rather be heavy and toned than light and wobbly. BMI doesn't consider body composition anyway. My "drop 2 dress sizes" goal is far more meaningful to me than dropping an arbitrary amount of weight. I figure if I do serious exercise 4 times a week, my appetite will adjust to what my body requires, and my weight will take care of itself.
23/01/2013 at 13:38
Wd with quitting smoking I quit in 2009 it took me most of the year to stop I didn't start exercising regularly until 2011 , I was always busy doing FT courses and working and have 2 girls , they are 16 and 11 now so I can leave them and go out without fear of them destroying my house or each other !
Am always impressed at mums with young children who manage to get out
change is hard deffo one thing at a time , I will stick to my sweets and sugary tea healthy food is a future plan
141 to 160 of 416 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.