Training for the Chester Marathon in 5 months

I'm getting scared now...

4 messages
12/07/2012 at 15:56

Hey folks!  About 3 months ago I decided I would (apttempt to) run the Chester Marathon for charity.  I was aware that this would give me about 5 months to train for it, and I thought this would be enough time given that I went to the gym pretty regularly and played football once a week...although I was by no means a runner (and I still don't consider myself to be one now).

Anyway ("get to the point!" I hear you cry!), at the weekend I managed to run about 14.5 miles in a just under 2 hours 30 mins, and I felt like I could have carried on.  This was a big deal for me, because I think for the first time since I started training, I actually felt like I have it in me to run a 26.2 mile distance. 

However, just today I was idling and reading some running forums, and I stumbled on a couple of threads where people said experienced runners should leave at least 8-9 months before running a marathon or they risk seriously injuring themselves, or just not finishing.  I guess I should have read that before I started training, but it's actually left me feeling quite concerned...is 5 months too soon to train for a marathon?

I've been running 6 nights a week for the last 3 months, and I'm planning to do the same until the time of the marathon, but do people think this is enough?  Good people of Runners World, I need some reassurance now more than ever!

12/07/2012 at 16:05
Hi Rory - I ran a couple of marathons a few years ago from a similar position to you. I'd say you definitely can do it in 5 months if you're reasonably fit and do plenty of running in those five months. The fact you're at 14.5 miles now shows you are doing enough - just keep increasing that a bit over the next few weeks and you should be okay.

Most beginner schedules only suggest a long run of 18 miles before attempting a marathon - and I took my first one on with only a 16 mile run under my belt. Not the best advice, but definitely doable if you're not bothered about time and just want to jog along.

And 6 nights a week is more than enough! If anything, you might be doing too much, remember to build in rest days so your muscles can adapt.

Also - listen to your body, if something hurts get it checked out, and scale back the training a bit. An 'easy' week will do you more good than harm, you should be able to pick you the training at the same level after a short enough break.
12/07/2012 at 20:54

I think you're on the right track. Just keep building up gradually and listening to your body and you'll be fine. I did 1x 20miles, 2x 18milers and lots of smaller LSRs before my first marathon.

If its your first marathon - just enough the experience and dont worry about the time/

13/07/2012 at 10:49

Great advice, thanks guys

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.