Treadmill to roads?

1 to 20 of 28 messages
05/03/2013 at 10:21

Good morning,

I'm very new at this after having done anything NOT to run for the last 30 odd years, I have now been doing the coach to 5k on a treadmill and am up to week 6.  A friend has asked me to join them on a 3 mile fun run in two weeks and  I wondered if anyone could tell me if it is do-able to change from a treadmill to the roads and what difficulties I am likely to encounter and what to do, to make it easier?

Many thanks in advance.

Sara

05/03/2013 at 10:26

People will always bang on about how its so much harder on a road, the treadmill does all the work for you etc, as though you were sitting in some kind of lounge chair by using a treadmill.

To me the positives and negatives almost offset each other, and I find a neglible difference between the two.

Yes their is an element of the treadmill doing the work for you to some extent, but that is offset by the fact that its often hotter where you are running meaning your body has to work harder to cool itself as opposed to running outside. Also if you run for a while, youre running in the same spot on a treadmill so youre constantly breathing in the air youve just exhaled to some extent, whereas outside, because youre always moving forward youre getting fresh lungful of air each time.

Ive found the time I can do on a treadmill = the time I can do outside.

05/03/2013 at 10:31

Thanks David that makes me feel better, someone panicked me by saying it was much harder and would kill my legs after a mile.

I'm going to try my first outdoor one on Friday round holme pierrepont where its nice and flat and see how I go!

05/03/2013 at 10:35

I would say it does feel slightly heavier in the legs, but then by the same token I found that I was getting more oxygen into my system running outside, so on a cardio basis I felt better. Swapping one problem for another, but by and large they kind of offset each other especially at the beginners stage. I'll put it this way, if you can run like for 3 miles on a treadmill say in 30 minutes, you are very unlikely to hit the road and suddenly find you can only do a mile before giving up.

05/03/2013 at 10:40

Hi Sara, another Notts runner? Holme Pierrepont can be a bit soul-destroying especially when windy (though nice and flat ). If you go up the river a bit to the Hook nature reserve the paths are a bit softer and might be kinder on the knees.

05/03/2013 at 10:46

Cough.... its taking me a little bit longer than that to do 3 miles but am getting there.

Thanks Literatin, I will give that a go, is it a loop and how far is it?  

Sara

05/03/2013 at 11:40

Don't know about a loop as I normally just run along the river path, but just thought of it as it's very near Holme Pierrepont, if that's local for you, but a bit more sheltered. It's some of the green space in between the residential bit of Lady Bay and the river. The path along there is a bit more compacted earth rather than tarmac.

05/03/2013 at 12:18

One problem I found making the transition away from treadmill was the tendancy to go faster without realising it, which had the knock on effect of tiring me quicker or making my legs ache/hurt more, so it gave the impression it was harder. Learning how to pace seems more important than it being a harder surface or the treadmill doing it all for you. Most slow runners dont tend to push off hard anyway so the difference between mill and road is minimal IF you can keep a slow pace.

ie SLOW DOWN when you first start off Mill and take it easy 

05/03/2013 at 12:38

Cheesy Rider - thats why the garmin watch is your best friend

05/03/2013 at 13:10
Thanks Cheesyrider will bare that in mind and look up garmin watch as well.

Sara
05/03/2013 at 13:18

I use my iphone now, and have a prog that shouts at me which is great! When I made the mill/trail transition early last year, I was at the early stages of running and wasnt prepared to spend money on a facny watch, after all, I had already had to stop running years before, and didnt want to spend money on something 'just for running' 

Of course now, its a totally different thing, once you get addicted to it, you can see the benifit of having the toys to help you. Early stages, you cant.

A friend bought one of the small Garmins, and she swears by it now, wishing she had got it ages ago. Do try and get one with a heart rate monitor capability (extra strap needed I think?) as that will be as useful as the watch itself. I hate running without my HR monitor and iphone recording everything and keeping me on track. I am learning how to pace myself from that, whereas it isnt easy 'just to keep pace' when you dont know how to  

05/03/2013 at 13:20

There are a couple of difference I find running outside vs. a treadmill:

1) the undulation of the roads / pavements / inclines / declines etc etc... These may throw you off at first, however if it's a fully organised fun run then I'd half expect it to be a fairly flat running surface.

2) and this is my biggest issue - holding the same pace.  So say I run at x mph on the treadmill, and that it always keeps me honest in that regard, I find that I run quicker outside. Always have done.

05/03/2013 at 13:34
Wow just looked at the prices of the watches, so think I will leave that for now!
Cheesy would be interested to know which app you used, as think something shouting at me to speed up or slow down, would be good.

Sara
05/03/2013 at 13:39

I find it easier to run on a treadmill - but the time goes sooooo much slower - whereas outside it feels harder, but 30 minutes flies by So pros and cons for both. Best of luck

XX1
05/03/2013 at 13:49
When I started running it was on pavements and roads... I found that my pace varied depending on whether I was going up-hill, down-hill, needed a breather, regained my breath, etc... I only gave a treadmill a shot when the pavements around my way were covered in ice... For me the treadmill felt harder as trying to maintain a consistent pace felt relentless and it seemed sooooo hot in the gym... But as DF3 has already said, if you'll be doing roughly the same distance then you should be ok.
XX1
05/03/2013 at 13:55

I used runkeeper initially, but now use ismoothrun, which I think is better once you have learned how to make your own workouts!

Runkeeper with audio cues on at every .25km should do it and its free.

05/03/2013 at 13:56

I get so bored on a treadmill and admire anyone who can stick at it for 3 miles, I managed it once!  I would say that running on the road/trail is different, some say harder some say easier it is individual preference.  You'll find out when you try!

05/03/2013 at 14:03
Elizabeth Dix 4 wrote (see)

I get so bored on a treadmill and admire anyone who can stick at it for 3 miles, I managed it once!  I would say that running on the road/trail is different, some say harder some say easier it is individual preference.  You'll find out when you try!

I did 8 miles last night on a treadmill (and yes all in a row, not stopping) fortunately they have tv's at La Fitness to aleviate the boredom, unfortunately though Im always training when EastEnders is on ......... god thats a depressing show.

05/03/2013 at 14:34

I did a 10k when I had done all my training on a treadmill and I did one 4k run outside and I found it tough! the 10k was awful however I did finally complete it in 1hr 7mins. I have just started running this week and have been outside and wish I had done it sooner, at least you go somewhere and see things outside x

05/03/2013 at 19:01

If I start watching TV on a tradmill it's going to end up on You've Been Framed as I either fall off sideways or fly off the back! 

It's the road or the trail for me, I love running outside and enjoy the changing scenery.  It was beautiful today!

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.