trying to become a runner

7 messages
08/10/2002 at 17:10
Hi Guys
For the longest time I have wanted to be 'a runner' and finally after trying to work up to it over the lkast 3 weeks I feel like I'm getting somewhere...we'll slowly anyway~!
I do all my running on the treadmill and had hoped to venture out on to the roads... well that's the plan!!
I had hoped to find a 5K race in January somewhere need London to try an focus on as it would be a target and my first real attempt at pushing myself to achieve a running goal. THe problem being that there doesn't seem to be any?? I guess the weather in the UK doesn't really encourage races in JAn but does anyone have an ideas??
Anna
08/10/2002 at 17:14
Hi Anna

I'm just beginning to run too and would also like to do a 5k in Jan in London area. Have been looking out for some but no luck yet. Let me know if you find something, will do the same if I have any news!
08/10/2002 at 17:17
Your best shot for a 5K is probably the Last Friday of the Month 5K in Hyde Park. Look at http://www.serpentine.org.uk for details.

Good luck

John
08/10/2002 at 17:18
Hi Anna

Well done on starting running!

I've been running on&off for the past 18 months or so, and as my training is a little erratic, I prefer 5K races to 10K ones (they take more training!). I have noticed that most of the runs in UK seem to be 10K, though. Most 5K ones seem to be in spring / summer and a lot are charity events eg Race for Life or the Flora Light Challenge for Women (Sept). But I keep looking - try the events section here on RW, or in the RW magazine, or try www.serpentine.org.uk - they have a good race diary and are London-based (as I am).

Also in winter, races tend to be cross-country (ie muddy!) and are of different lengths (rather than the standard 5K or 10K you get for road races).

Anyway I will let you know if I find a 5K in January - would be good for me to do one too!
08/10/2002 at 17:24
Gee I've just started getting into this sight and how helpful is everyone!! THanks for the advice and I'll keep looking and plodding along!
Your all stars
Cheers!
Psi
08/10/2002 at 19:54
Anna,

Don't worry; you ARE a runner. :)
08/10/2002 at 23:23
I agree
it doesnt matter how far, or how fast

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.