type 1 diabetis

5 messages
31/12/2012 at 22:14

Hi all just started running and would like any feedback for running with type 1 diabetis and training i have been doing park runs and its ok but am worried about doing 10km runs.

Happy new year to you all.

cougie    pirate
01/01/2013 at 01:49
My wife is type1. She runs up to 10k races and just makes sure she has a couple of gels in a running bag with her at all times.

She takes a carbohydrate snack like a Tracker bar before a run and the insulin to match it as she's found you need the insulin for the exercise.

Well done on starting running.
01/01/2013 at 16:24

She is not alone... have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Type_1-Sanofi Team Type 1 are a team who promote excercise and type 1 diabetes not just in cycling (they are a pro cycling team, some of whom are type 1 diabetic) they have a Facebook page and all sorts. I am guessing that they should be a great source of information and motivation

01/01/2013 at 18:49

Thanks for the info i wasnt aware you need the insulin for the exercise!

Will look into team type 1

Thanks.

01/01/2013 at 21:52
I'm type 1 too. In the past I've had a couple of glucose tablets about half way through a 10k which has kept me going. There's a website www.runsweet.com which is all about running with diabetes and tells you how to adapt up to marathon running. I'm doing the Liverpool half in a few months and plan to use that site for a lot of my resources.

Good luck!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.