17/07/2006 at 23:30
ROFL Allien !!!!!!

How did the race go?
17/07/2006 at 23:41
testing ...
new thread
17/07/2006 at 23:45
Hi Morgs. Glad you decided to join us.

We will be posting in the new forum from tomorrow (30 mins time) so I hope to catch up with you there.

Well, race report coming up...

Boy, was it hard. 5.4k in tempaeratures of 28 degrees (even though it didn't kick off until 7:30). I wasn't in the right frame of mind at first, and I was a bit sore from Saturday; the heat didn't help.

I met a nice lady at the start - Christine - who cheered me up as I was looking at the other runners and feeling quite insecure about my ability - most of the ladies were wearing club vests.

We started last, and I'm ashamed to say I left her and tried to follow the pack. I don't think I went off too fast, but there were some nasty uphill climbs that I struggled with since I haven't done much hill training.

I thought about walking just before the half way point, but the fact that I've run further than this on a few occasions now made me keep going and I didn't think about stopping again - even after I finished I just kept going - one of the marshals turned round and said, "It's ok, you can stop now!".

I don't know my time because I didn't set my watch properly (too busy talking) but it will be on Heaton Harriers website in the next couple of days, and it was probably about 37 mins.

At the end I got a commemmorative mug (too many m's?) and drinks. I even got chatting to some of the Tynedale Harriers who run at Hexham and they've invited me to their sessions (5 weeks free to see how I get on). I'm thinking about it. Sorry INSPIRE but I may be joining a second club!

Anyway, I feel really bad, because the girl I was talking to at the start came in last. We gave her a big cheer and she burst into tears; she was gutted. She'd hoped to run the whole course in 13 min miles, but had found the weather and the hills too hard and had to walk some. I went to speak to her (she is doing the Jelly Tea run as well) and I tried to remember all the support and advice I've read on here but I'm worried that it may have come over a bit patronising - (I'm not a very good verbal communicator). She is, after all, far more accomplished than I, having done the GNR last year.

I didn't get to tell her about our group, but I will if I see her in September (and hopefully I'll be able to redeem myself).
17/07/2006 at 23:47
Hurray OTH, your links work better than mine!

Sorry about that long post.

I actually didn't think anyone would be around - I went to meet my uncle for the pub quiz (the uncle who was married to my auntie Jen) and haven;t been back long.

We came third last and third bottom... Still we usually come second bottom!
17/07/2006 at 23:53
OTH - It feels like Christmas... can I go and talk to the new forumites yet??? can I??? can I???

Not till after midnight then....
18/07/2006 at 00:00
Great post Allie ... I'm about to start the new thread proper ... why don't you copy and paste it over??
18/07/2006 at 00:00
Go Allie Go !!!!!!!!
18/07/2006 at 00:07
Which one?
18/07/2006 at 00:22
I know you're about to post the last message on this thread OTH, but hopefully I'll catch you just in time.

I've posted my race report in the new forum.

Well done on your treadie session tonight (oops - this should go on the new thread)

I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I don't think I would ever have joined in the forums if it wasn't for you and the way you have brought this little group together. I feel like I have loads of friends (and I find it difficult to make friends in normal circumstances).

I may even have given up running during difficult periods if it wasn't for the advice and support that I get from these pages.

Thanks everyone. Long may it continue.

See you in our new house...
18/07/2006 at 00:23
Oh. Me again.

Thanks also for all your hard work (and to Em) for administration of the bring forward list. I think this is a brill feature.
18/07/2006 at 00:28
OK ... Here it is ... sound 'the last post please ...

This Thread is now officially (hmmm) closed !!!

We, the regulars, have now moved to a new thread ....

NEW THREAD

For anyone coming directly to this thread for the first time, please let me explain ...

This thread has been an amazing inspiration to many and a great thread to post on. However, it has gotten so large we felt we should start a new thread. The new thread explains why on it's first page. So now we have gone .... but we still want to chat to you so please click the link above and come and join us.

Also, if you want to see the best of this, our old thread, take a look at the following pages ....

Best Pages to Check if you’re new to this thread

A ‘must’ for all newbies to the thread – lots of inspiration – Pages 1 to 8
How the name INSPIRE was born – bottom Page 33
Big guy and Plodfather’s stories – Page 39
Allien’s 10K run (was she happy?) – Page 60
Dingus delights us all with a Marathon – Page 66
Ramblings of a Night Owl – Page 71
Musings of a Night Owl - Page 105 (do we want a new thread)
Clarification of p105 – Page 111
Em’s confession about her chatting (in OTH post) – Page 126 (an important read)
Misty .. on Schedules – Page 132
Mike & Mrs H again … great advice for us ‘larger’ beginners, plus responses – Pages 135,136
1st Time Runner asks advice – Pages 155 & 156 (good for all newbies)
Plodfather does his first mile – Page 203
Dan does his first 5K – Page 204

PLEASE .. no more posts to this thread.

I'd like to keep this post as the last one anyone see on here. Many thanks.

Shani ... AKA ... OTH

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4,501 to 4,513 of 4,513 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.