Virgin runner

21 to 29 of 29 messages
19/10/2002 at 14:46
The first time you start running it hurts. But a next time when you have to pick it up again it goes easier.
I have been a long time of and on runner and that is my experience. I must add that this time I seem to be gripped by the bug and feel I will stick to it. Such a good feel.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/10/2002 at 21:42
Last monday I said to a guy at work that I couldn't run past 20 mins before needing to walk. He said I was being silly that it was just in the head as I had completed a very slow 10K the other week. Wednesday I went for a run with a mate and said that I want to "try" for 25 mins. 31 mins later I walked!! I was so elated you would have thought I had just won a major event. Today I went out and managed 32 mins!
I love running!
21/10/2002 at 10:38
EP - that's brilliant! Hope you feel really proud of yourself (and rewarded yourself with suitable goodies) I did something similar this weekend - instead of sticking to my 20 mins I tried for 25 mins and managed it! Like you, I felt really good.
21/10/2002 at 14:15
Same here. Should have run for 5 but felt ok and decided I would stop if I got desperate - managed 9 minutes. Well chuffed. Did 10 today but I think that'll be it for a week or so. Don't want to put myself off if I can't reach 12.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/10/2002 at 20:38
it's amasing how much pleasure we can get from these achievments!
Tomorrow I am going to try (assuming it doesn't tip down with rain!) to run a full 5K in one go. The last 2 30 ish mins have been about 4.5 so not much extra effort needed!
I hope to report success tomorrow!
22/10/2002 at 14:59
Good Luck EP. Will think of you.
22/10/2002 at 15:03
Stick with it. You've just done the hardest part- you've been out there and started running.
22/10/2002 at 15:38
Go, EP, go! Let us know how it goes...
The Evil Pixie    pirate
22/10/2002 at 19:36
Ok so this is what happened ... after 10 mins my legs said STOP, but being a bloody minded sod I said no must do a bit more. By 20 mins my legs were on strike! But by this time I was dead set on getting to the end of a certain road.
So 40 mins after I left work... 40 mins of very slow "running"... 40 mins of swearing at myself for being silly ... I DID 5K!!!!

naturally I celebrated with a nice healthy donught!

Thanks for the support guys .. you are half the reason why I did it (even if I was slower than normal and slower than my frist 5K which was a walk run affair!!). Having said online I was going to do it I had to!!
Thanks!
EP

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.