Virgin runner

1 to 20 of 29 messages
13/10/2002 at 20:50
Hi All,

I am extremely new to the joys of running having done my first R/W this morning. I ran 5 (just) and walked for about 10. I plan to do this 4 times a week increasing a bit each week. I have always harboured a desire to be a runner but previous attempts have involved jogging to exhaustion and then never being able to face it again! Hope to keep it up this time as I felt OK today. This site is really motivational and it's great to see that not every other person on the roads is a natural.
13/10/2002 at 21:44
Good on you.
14/10/2002 at 00:45
Keep running deeplydippy, I only started running in March. First time I went out I managed to run for five minutes before I had to walk. I just kept going, getting further and further until eventually I could run a respectable distance without walking.

Last week I competed in my first race, the GNR, 13.1 miles, and I ran all the way.

14/10/2002 at 06:20
Ditto to above. Walk/run/walk/run...that's how I started. Still a beginner, and I don't think anyone is really a nutural runner. It takes work but it's so liberating.
14/10/2002 at 08:28
You can do it Dippy!
14/10/2002 at 13:54
keep at it! I started running in June and yesterday I ran for a whole hour; covered 9K so felt real sense of achievement
14/10/2002 at 15:00
Hi Dippy - it's how I started too, although I didn't manage 5 mins first time out! So you're doing well already. Keep up the good work...
14/10/2002 at 20:41
Dippy, - Know how you feel, stopped smoking last Xmas and took up running. Started the same format as you run/walk now up to 10 miles in one go, never thought I would get there!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 20:45
Welcome and well done ... my first session was 8 sets of 1min walk 1 min jog/stagger/run
I nearly died! But I was so proud of myslef for doing it I kept going. Then entered the Flora Light Challenge in Hyde park .. that was it! I may not have achieved the 5K in one run but it felt so damn good I can't stop!
you are doing exactly the right thing... keep up the good work!
14/10/2002 at 21:15
Addictive isn't it ? Just like evil pixie says - I too nealry died likened myself to a asthmatic elephant after 2 mins of my first run outside but now enjoy myself and thanks to encouragement from other formites have joined a local running club and go out plodding with the other beginners - I too started with a 5km - race for life - felt so good crossing that finish line wanted to keep going - keep up the good work and enjoyment as thats the key i think
14/10/2002 at 21:58
Hi All, Thanks for the encouragement, it's true what they say about runners you're a really nice bunch o' guys. Ran again today (R5 W10) and I felt better than yesterday, I can't believe how motivated I feel. According to my programme tomorrow is a rest day and I'm actually disappointed!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 22:00
Oh dear dippy you got it bad ... welcome to the club!
It creeps up on you quickly doesn't it!
14/10/2002 at 22:16
Hi Evil Pixie. Yes I definately have it bad at the moment but my momentum weras off with things after about 2 weeks and that's when I'll need you all most!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 22:19
Bet you it doesn't this time! If it does we're here fear not!
where abouts do you live?
14/10/2002 at 22:40
Norfolk - so no hill training for me SHAME!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 08:17
My hills are railway bridges (cos I'm too chicken to fnd any!)
15/10/2002 at 09:53
Oh dear Dippy - I fear total addiction...it's great, isn't it! I started 11 weeks ago, and I'm sticking at 20 minutes a day for a few weeks, as recommended by Bob Glover in The Runner's Handbook. If you can get hold of a copy (it's published by Penguin), it's full of excellent advice and training programmes.
15/10/2002 at 16:29
Hello everyone

I dont know what sort of pace to run at, i am currently running 7 miles in 55 minutes. What pace does anybody else run at.

Nicola
15/10/2002 at 22:17
meercat, thanks for the tip I shall track down a copy pdq. I am following a programme that I found on the serpentine running club website that will not push me too far too fast ie R5 W15 for the next 2 weeks then up it a bit. I think if I failed to do a run on a schedule that was demanding R10 from the off for example I'd give up pretty quickly.
19/10/2002 at 01:54
Nici, the pace that you are currently running at IS the pace to run at. You are running better than 8 minutes per mile, which is great. But you knew that, anyway, deep down.
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.