Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

A place to declare your weekly results

3,661 to 3,680 of 4,437 messages
29/09/2012 at 17:12
Big Parkrun PB for me this morning 21:27, pleased, not really in the marathon training plan, but I gor carried away lol.

Good news on the injury Dave.

RE daily weighing, everyone's different, but if you find it gets you down and want to throw in the towel, avoid. The scales do funny things, sometimes even weekly you don't get what you deserve, you've just got to trust that if you keep making the right exercise and eating decisions, you'll getvto where you should be.
29/09/2012 at 17:25

Hi JLB3,

thats a fair comment.

Well done in getting pb on park run.

It may give you a boost for that marathon.

30/09/2012 at 16:28

quick post first of 3 done Bristol H/M done in 1:54:10 according to the Garmin will wait for the office chip times no PB and about 47 seconds slower that last year

30/09/2012 at 16:50
JLB - excellent advice - "weight loss is a means to an end not an end in its self" (just heard that on a webblog on nutrition).
30/09/2012 at 17:26

Hi Toby3,

I think its brilliant that you have a half marathon under your belt, I not done a single one yet. It will come together one day.

01/10/2012 at 07:59

Toby3 - well done another finish line reached

01/10/2012 at 10:17

thanks all may do a couple of recover runs on the treadmill thenit's do it all over again next Sunday at Cricklade

01/10/2012 at 10:27

Toby - well done  I think thats an amazing time  I would love to do a sub 2 hr HM  

01/10/2012 at 11:10

Toby.

Well done that is fantastic.  I'm still a long way from sub 2h.  Good luck if you are doing it again next week!! You should be going for an ultra with the amount of running your putting in

With the weightloss yeah, just relax and just see what happens.  Are you using any sports drinks when running as of course a lot of them can make it quite hard to loose weight, as they add quite a lot of calories?

01/10/2012 at 11:30

Hi all,

Booktrunk, never thought of that. I do drink a lot vimto dieluted etc, but mine is diet coke pepsi. Now I'm drinking beer less, you have to give yourself a little treat. I read the news on teletext bbc1 they have even put a tax on sports drinks now (if I  read article right). I suppose with more people doing sports since Olympics, then I guess its an easy one to put tak on.

Did a fifty min run this morning, it felt  ok, I'm getting a twinge in my calf muscle, I don't think I'm stretching enough. Won't say my weight till Friday I think. And yes I'm trying to take peoples advice and weigh myself less. Easier said than done.

Enjoy your day.

01/10/2012 at 14:33

Ohhhh... Did Word have the Berlin Marathon Yesterday?

Fingers crossed that it all went well for him!!

02/10/2012 at 12:24

afternoon all

well must get in the gym for a recover run in a minute just 2 miles will do a run walk as at the moment with the way work is that's all the exercise i need and don't won't to over do it before next Sundays race

03/10/2012 at 07:55

Hi all,

Sorry not been in problems with connection.

Hope all goes well toby3

03/10/2012 at 07:55
Wk 28 -1.8 lbs 4st 10lbs, total loss pretty much spot on 30kg lost.
03/10/2012 at 10:00

Finishing work midday and off to Fuerteventura tomorrow so catch up with you all when I get back  

Happy running

03/10/2012 at 21:27

Hi Booey,

enjoy holiday

03/10/2012 at 22:14
Hi folks, and apologies for the delay. I'll try and catch up on your recent posts soon but in the meantime congrats to the runners, the losers, and here's hoping Dave's injury is fixed soon.

Berlin? Fabulous. Amazing. Incredible. And what a feeling to have my first marathon under my belt - my time of 4:21:38 is perhaps a little slower than I'd have liked, but it'll do. And it's a target to beat.

Will write more when I've had a chance to digest my thoughts. Thanks for your good wishes!

Oh, and I didn't get into London either.
04/10/2012 at 04:34

well resting up's gone out the window this week with work like it is at the moment and with the other supervisor out on holiday I've had to be in early so have done a 12 hour day nearly ever day this week

we also have a visit from the big cheese tomorrow so tonight's going to be even longer i don't know about running Cricklade at this rate i'llbe sleepwalking it

word well done to you on completing your first marathon and what a good time

04/10/2012 at 08:19

word well done, it looks like the marathon bug has bitten

04/10/2012 at 10:18

So. Berlin. Where do I start?

The Berlin Marathon has to be the toughest and maddest but most rewarding and exhilarating thing I've ever done. To be honest, whilst I'm pretty pleased with my final time of 4 hours 21 minutes and 38 seconds, it's the whole experience that I'm going to remember. It was, to put it mildly, brilliant.

The pre-race expo took place in several hangers at Berlin Templehof airport and I knew from the moment I arrived that it was going to be an incredible occasion. People everywhere, most of them looking a lot fitter and more athletic than me, though. There were dozens and dozens of stalls selling every conceivable piece of running gear, and there was a real buzz about the place.

The enormity of what I'd committed to seemed to sink in then and there, and more so when I was given my race number and timing chip. For the two or three days we explored Berlin before the race we kept noticing the blue lines that marked out the marathon route - no matter what part of the city we were in and I found myself wondering just how long this marathon was going to be.

Then race day arrived. I was awake from five. Breakfasted at six, and left the hotel just before seven to stroll the 2.5km to the start. The whole city seemed to be stirring, even at seven on a Sunday, and the closer I got to the Brandenburg Gate, the more the crowd of runners was growing. The starting area was well organised (somebody later said it was the best-organised marathon he'd experienced).

It was a little slow over the first three or four kilometres, but I wasn't too concerned - by that stage I'd decided to aim for around 4 hrs 15 mins. It was a great atmosphere too - the streets were lined with people cheering, applauding, whistling and shouting runner's names. There were live bands every few hundred metres, from jazz and rock to kids singing, Native Americans on panpipes (!), and groups beating steel drums.

The many refreshment stations were a welcome sight - it was about 17 degrees, sunny, and with a little breeze. A little too warm for my tastes (I'm used to the wind and rain of South Wales, after all). The 10k mark came and went, so too the half marathon point, and even by 32km (20 miles) I was feeling pretty good. My legs started to hurt at around 37km, and were properly screaming at me by the time I turned the last corner back onto Unter den Linden. But what a crowd! Massive cheers ringing out as I ran under the Brandenburg Gate and on to the finish just 400m further on.

And then, suddenly, it was over. I'd crossed the finish line and had a medal around my neck. My first marathon completed. I ended up finishing 19,257th, so well inside the top half of the field. Chuffed isn't the word!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.