Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

A place to declare your weekly results

3,721 to 3,740 of 4,437 messages
14/10/2012 at 18:04

Hi Dave - glad all went well and hope you recover fully soon.

Hope Booktrunk got on ok.

Ran the Cardiff Half Marathon today and set a new PB of 1:57:42, so pretty chuffed with that. I knocked 4 mins off my old time and came in under 2 hours into the bargain.

18,000 ran the half marathon and, in my opinion, that's way too many. Even if you accept the usual jostling and swerving from the outset, there was too much of that going on throughout, and a few bottlenecks too.

The atmostphere was pretty good, and the crowds pretty supportive. It's not the most visually interesting of runs, but it did take in some decent sights. The organisation was so-so - especially post race where it was pretty much a scrum of runners and relatives.

Oh, and don't get me started on the queues for the pay and display parking machines. I mean, Cardiff Council, come on! You've got 18,000+ visiting your wonderful city and spending goodness knows how much there, so do us a favour and drop the parking charges next year.

Though I doubt I'll run Cardiff again.

Oh, and managed to put on a pound this week, so I'm now 3lbs away from target...

All the best for the coming week, everyone.

14/10/2012 at 19:22

Evening all

Well back from the Swindon H/M all though plans changed and i ended up running with wife instead of Yvonne the wife ran the Cricklade 10k last week and because she was that much slower than the rest she ended up alone running down county lanes by herself and as there were no houses or cars felt vulnerable and was worried the same may happen today

Arrive at Yvonne’s on Saturday and stayed the night have to say did not sleep well but never do the night before a race Sunday morning came breakfast consisted of toast with peanut butter and jam on left for the race at 9.15 the morning was cold and frosty but the sun was warm and as the day went on it warmed up nicely

got the race ok and after the usual loo visit had a wondered around waiting for the start Yvonne went to middle of the pen as she was going for a 2.15 we on the other hand hung around at the back as we were looking for a 3.30 finish

The race got away on time and after a uphill start the course ran down hill and the flat until it started to climb again at the 5 mile mark i let the wife set the pace and she was using a run walk and we were running 15m/m’s using this

All was going well and right up to the 11 mile mark with me pulling her up the hill and then running down the other side have to say the views were stunning when disaster struck her hip or we thought it was her hip started to hurt but being the stubborn c**and determined to finish we had to walk the best part of the last 2 miles

She did insisted on running down the slope to the finish unofficial time 3:26:01 Yvonne gave the wife a big hug and she had finished her first ever H/M

One go thing as we were one of the last to finish there was no queue for the massage so sent her of to get one while i went for my cheese burger

Then headed back for a massage myself the person who massage the wife thinks she probable picked up a slight hamstring strain

Then it was back to Yvonne’s for some tea and then home

14/10/2012 at 19:47

Hello everyone.  I'm now a member of the Marathon Runners Club WOOHOO

My Chip time 5:30:22 I am over the moon.  I did it.

I slept for 3 hours last night and about the same the night before hehe   actually to tired to go into details i'll pust about it later or tomorrow,  But had to update you all

14/10/2012 at 19:51

booktrunk well done to you

14/10/2012 at 20:05

Thanks Toby

14/10/2012 at 20:48
Brilliant, Booktrunk! Great work! Hope you're not too sore over the next few days. As someone told me two weeks ago today, there are not many days that you will remember for the rest of your life, but this will be one of the them.

Toby - glad you enjoyed Swindon. That's another under your belt, and congrats to Mrs Toby too!
15/10/2012 at 09:50

Well done booktrunk, a great achievment.

15/10/2012 at 09:54

Well done on cracking the 2H mark for the half Words. 

Thanks for the report Toby, well done to Wifey!

15/10/2012 at 17:44
Here goes ...

Leicester Marathon 2012

Got up at 6:15, put my running outfit on. I read somewhere that bagels were good pre race, so I had 2 bagels with a little Philly and salmon, that was at around 6:45so... Finally set out to Leicester at 7:20, got there at 8:05 managed to find free parking around the edge of the park.

It was cold and there was still a little bit of fog in the air and it was not very warm had some loos could have been more, everyone looked the same excited n slightly nervous

So 9:15 the race started, I was right at the back so had a short walk to the start line, I think there were around 2,500 of us there running the half and the full.

Here are the garmin stats for my race:- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/233416461

All my running is done alone, so it was weird being around so many other people, even though I started at the back I struggled to not set off to quickly and probably did by a few seconds per km.

They closed the main road for us to start in so we swept out of Leicester, then after about 4 miles got to some quieter roads.

At 6 miles the half marathoners took another route back to Leicester, the rest of us took another path and went on a 13.1 loop through some of the villages, without the marshals I would have got totally lost, but they were there to guide us

At about half way I was flying I was on for a sub 5h mara, way ahead of my plan which was 5:38. I had to have a loo break as I was desperate and at 15 miles they had a village hall open and wonderful people who were keeping them clean. It was an absolute pleasure, and I think I possibly lingered on that loo slightly to long, if you look at my stats it shows I was 12:33 oops!! 5 minutes used up but I was a lot happier

So I plodded on from there, apparently it's a flat marathon, but to me it felt bloody steep once or twice.

There was one area where you cross the main road a dual carriageway and marshals stop the traffic for us, and then we run around 1km I guess on the side of the main road within a coned off area, I felt fine running in this section

After the 13.1 loop we came back to the same place and carried on the same course the half marathoners had last used. This went through the edge of a water park, very pretty and quiet, then we weave into a park, and then into the city with a cordoned off running area with people cheering you on, then up a very steep hill that drags on for quite a while then a 200m run on the flat to the finish line and glory.

So my race plan in theory it was 42.195km each at 8:04 I started off quick, possibly a bit to quickly. Was around 2:30 - 2:31 at the halfway point. I really paid and just didn't feel as if I had the stamina (I needed more long slow runs I guess). Anyway at around 30km I revised my plans and felt a bit of a wimp, so I started at 30k walking 250-300m at the beginning of each km, and then running for the rest of that km without letting myself stop until the watch beeped again.

At 40km got my second wind and went for it, except for a bit of a walk up the hill at the end.

I loved the course, the other competitors, and the organisation and marshalling. It was a great race my first organised race and I don't think I'll ever forget the feelings I had when going around.

I have a shiny medal... I've never ever had a medal in my life. I'm seriously proud of it as well.

If you want to see me waffling on more about it I'm on Facebook as "Stephanie Gelder"
15/10/2012 at 19:29

Great report, Booktrunk - and you're entitled to wear that medal with pride!

16/10/2012 at 17:39

Booktrunk...good for you...great write up of an awesome achievement...

16/10/2012 at 17:49

Again, fantastic Booktrunk!

I've been feeling slightly under the weather all month, topped off with a bout of food poisoning\tummy bug the past 2 days, I think my body is rebelling against me, and my plans to run 26.2 miles!  Managed to somehting over the weekend, a 10 miler and a couple of 5's.  I have the fear over Dublin.

16/10/2012 at 19:27

JLB - sorry to hear you've been unwell, but hope you're well and truly on the mend now. It's fine to have a healthy respect for Dublin, but just go out there and enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy the run, and don't sweat about the time. Put this one down to experience and setting a benchmark for your next marathon!

6k for me in the Swansea sun this lunchtime. 10k ish planned for tomorrow.

Happy running folks.

17/10/2012 at 19:28

Who turned out the lights? Up nice and early again this morning, this time for a run with a friend. Well, I say "nice and early" when I really mean "in the pitch dark". I set off at 6.10am and it felt really strange to be running in the dark after spending the last few months running in daylight. Time to dig out the reflective gear, I think.

And imagine how dark it's going to be when the clocks go back!

Anyway, completed a 12.5km - a little on the slow side but you won't find me complaining. It was my friend's first run in over three weeks so it's good he's back in training - especially as we're both running the Brighton Marathon in April...

17/10/2012 at 19:34
I'm laughing Marsthon week and I've gained 1lb now 30 weeks and -67 lbs

Thinking of MK marathon but it's 38 plus 15 for a tee-shirt that sounds a complete rip off!
19/10/2012 at 17:38

Hi all

Haven't posted on here for ages but I do try and read it every day. Some great running, and weight loss, going on at the moment.

Booktrunk - Very well done on completing your first marathon, a great report as well, and also your continuing weight loss. I did have a look at your pictures on FB, you look fine considering you've just run a marathon!

Words - Well done on both your marathon and also your half marathon. Reading your review of how things went in Berlin was inspiring. Your running continues to improve rapidly as well.

Toby. Well done on getting the wife round at  Swindon, there's as much satisfaction to be gained from helping, supporting and cajoling someone to complete their first distance race as there is to finishing in a personal best.

Dave - Glad the injury is coming along

JLB - Hopefully you'll be back in tip top shape in time for Dublin.

Now here's a question for you all! I recently used some birthday money to buy some new running shoes, New Balance 880 V2s and since I started wearing them my pace has increased without a corresponding increase in heart rate. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it seems strange at the same time.

The only other thing that has changed since I got the new shoes is that I run outside twice during the week rather than running 4 lunchtimes on the treadmill. So I now run 5km on a Tuesday and Thursday, between 4 and 5 miles Wednesday lunchtime and between 7 and 7 1/2 miles on a Friday lunchtime. I still do my LSR on a Sunday morning. To give you an example of how I think the new shoes have helped last Sunday I managed a PB for the half marathon distance by 2 1/2 minutes yet my HR averaged 5 bpm less than when I set my earlier PB, today I knocked 2 1/2 minutes off of my 10km PB. Who knows what's going on!

Blimey I've gone on a bit! Oh and my weight is now 13st 5 1/2lbs, so 2 1/2lbs to go to finally reach 4 stones lost.

(Edited for poor spelling!)

Edited: 19/10/2012 at 17:40
20/10/2012 at 14:55
Hi Gary - quite the man of letters there. Good to hear from you.

I reckon it's the fact that you're running outside that's improving your pace. I used to run a lot on a treadmill but definitely started getting faster when I started to run outdoors more. There's a surprising difference but I put it down to having to work harder to propel yourself forward, whilst also having scenery etc to look at. Good work though!

Congrats in the weight loss too - great result.

Had a ten miler as the sun came up this morning. Well, it got lighter at any rate. Gave me a chance to wear my Berlin Marathon shirt and earn some approving looks from other runners...

And I've lost a couple of pounds, which means I've only got ONE pound to go until I'm no longer classed as overweight! (another 3 or 4 to lose until I'm happy tho).

Happy weekend all.
20/10/2012 at 21:22

Hi all....well have started very light jogging this week after my hernia op last week....having this time off has made re-evaluate what and why I am doing all of this apart from losing some weight...

Have decided not to be so focused on times/pace/splits etcs....

Now gently easing my self back to recovery...2 jogs this week in the woods...

got myself a pair of x-skates and a new pair of trail shoes (x-talon 212's), nice shoes...

Anyhows ...today I found a new running app on iphone which is called Zombies Run....basically you go out running as normal with your music and along the way you pick up (virtual) items such a medical kits, electronic gear etc, etc....and from time to time zombies will chase you and you have to evade them...all this is done via the earphones so you are not having to look at the phone... whilst not a serious runners app it does give a different slant on a run which for me injects 'something different and intresting' into my running scheme plus I reckon it will feel all so different running through the woods at night with my headtorch on!!!

So I have decided to have one run per week as my 'Zombie FUN run'...and trail & road run, x skate and do gym work the rest of the week with of course a LSR...

I was getting all to focused on just running trying to beat my times and never realising that I am not longer 20 and in the military !!! and this should all be fun as well as good for me...

Good luck to every one this coming week...and I hope to be a little more productive here in the coming months.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited: 20/10/2012 at 21:36
21/10/2012 at 17:58

Hi all,

Sorry I not been posting I have had the dreaded bug thats been going round  but hopefully it's on the wain now.

Your times for half and full marathons are amazing. I struggleto do 3 miles in an hour . You should all be dam proud of the times your acheieving.

I managed a walk this morning, it felt good so will try a gentle walk and run Monday.

Ow I'm 12st 11lb, but that's been with the bug. I'm hoping to stay at about the 12st12lb to 12st13lb when back to normal.

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend.

By the way it takes me an hour to run a couple of miles, according to google maps, routes and distance.

21/10/2012 at 20:37

Hi Sinbad...yeah these bugs are just a constant reminder of how fragile we are at times!...doesn't matter what other people are doing...just by getting your trainers on and getting out the door you're already beating 99% of all the rest!..so that's something to be proud of.

Have a great week...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.