Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

A place to declare your weekly results

81 to 100 of 4,437 messages
19/10/2010 at 20:45

Zara - about 30 mins is probably a good first step, unless you're already able to do that.  I means 6 minute kms.  Have you had a look at any of the plans on the training tab above?   They are useful for structuring your sessions and getting faster once you're up to running 20-30 mins non-stop regularly.

Good session for me tonight, I was feeling tired and slow a couple of weeks ago but took it a bit easier last week and feel like I've got ym Mojo back this week!! 

19/10/2010 at 20:54

Evening all

Did an hour in the gym in the garage today and have now started to have smaller portions for tea also trying the smaller plate tick were by a smaller portion doesn’t look as small  

It is an interesting point that danowat raises I do think that people can become a slave to a number but more the young these days with the images that are presented to them but having read the post these no one here looking to become a stick insect

I think most people here are being realistic in their targets  

I myself get to a point where feel really uncomfortable and know I need to get my weight down and also have benefited from being lighter when it comes to the running side of things at the beginning of the year I was just over 12st and ran my fastest time for a half marathon the last 2 I have done I was 13st 3lbs and ran my 2 slowest races every and I know I had an injury that messed the training up a bit but carrying that extra stone in weight did not help

also heart trouble runs in the male side of the family so that an added incentive as my Garand father died way back in 1974 when I was about 8 he was grossly overweight and he had been warned but choose to ignore the doctor advice his weight was a contributing factor in his death at 64 and I have always remember it 

I also feel better in myself for being that much lighter have more energy and don’t get half as tired

I am under no illusion as to how hard it’s going to be by would not say it was futile and I think we all know it going to be a lift time battle to keep the weight down 

So keep  going every one if you have a bad a week or even a day don’t beat yourself up to put it in to running terms we all have a bad run now and again but we all keep at it as we all know the next run will probably be better

Edited: 19/10/2010 at 21:02
19/10/2010 at 21:42
Well done on the 8 mins Zara It won't be long at all now til you're not stopping at all! My first 5k was about 35 mins - and I have to say that I've never got any faster lol! I just keep taking longer to go further. Speed doesn't seem to be my thing...I'm going for endurance!!

And I completely agree Toby! The trick I need to learn is to allow myself to have a bad day, without giving up completely and writing myself off. Make allowances and adjustments like anyone would, without thinking about it too much. Last weekend I went out for dinner (Nando's!! Mmmmm) and in years gone by I'd have either not gone out of fear of ruining y diet completely, or I'd have pigged out and gone mad because I had given myself permission to forget the diet. This time I decided to live like a normal person lol! I ran that morning, ate a really light lunch as I knew I was having a big meal later, chose sweetcorn as a side dish, and completely loved every mouthful knowing it was fine. Didn't have a pud either - I was full. Yay!!!

x
19/10/2010 at 22:14
Well done Zara.

I have spent a small fortune on cloths! and i so wish i had taken pictures during weight loss
19/10/2010 at 22:16
Len good for you
19/10/2010 at 22:29

Len, as Toby says!!  That really is the key, making the changes that last and not seeing yourse;f on a diet cos that just makes us want to pig out!!

Toby - know what you mean about race results being part of the motivation.  I'd like to shave 5 mins off my half marathon time but know realistically that carrying less weight will help me to get faster I can't jsut rely on training.

19/10/2010 at 22:30

Great Len

Sometimes I do the opposite, have something (a snack) just before I have to go out for a meal / out ith friends (half a banana or something) as then I'm not hungry so don't feel as though I'm 'being good' and because I don't eat as much - I usually don't spend as much either  - ha ha bonus!  And everyone sits around the table going "oohhh you don't eat much do you" (of course not knowing I'd snacked before). 

Like everyone - had ups and downs myself.  After a big weight loss in the beginning (which was very encouraging) I've not changed weight for a good few months now, but people still think I've lost weight, say my legs are thinner, waist smaller - so I measured myself and my body size had shrunk.  I'd lost 2 inches off my legs (when I told my husband, he said "what, you've lost 2 inches off your legs .... in height").  and waist.  So even if you're not losing weight, your body is probably still toning up and will be making a difference.

Good luck to everyone on here - I've found this thread really helpful and great to hear how everyone is doing. 

Back to dry crackers and celery now

xxxx

20/10/2010 at 08:14

Hi all!

Thought I should join this thread.

I'm 24 years old and 79kg (~ 12st 7lb). About two years ago I used to be 60kg (~9st 6lb) and I'm trying to get back to that weight. I started running again about a month ago (I've ran Sheffield 10km, GNR and Men's Health Survival of the Fitest) and am regularly running over 10km 2-3 times a week. However, I realised that some of the biggest contributory factors to my weight gain were very large portion sizes, my sweet tooth and alcohol. Some I've decided to stop drinking (2 wks sober now), started calories counting and stopped eating sweets all together.

I'm hoping to lose at least a stone by December. Which should be managable as it's only just over 2 pounds a week.

C.K

Edited: 20/10/2010 at 08:14
20/10/2010 at 10:28

Morning

Zara - I agree that 30 mins is a good time to aim for 5k (not that I've got there myself yet)

Well said Toby

Hi CK

20/10/2010 at 10:38

It is a lifelong battle, it it sometimes feels unfair that some people can eat whatever they like and not gain weight. But even in a battle there are good times when you win the occasional skirmish or one day hopefully even the whole war.

I'd say that if you have lost a great deal of weight as some posts state and you still don't feel great about your image then it might be a more deep routed issue and food is just an element of that, I wish you all the help in the world.

I also think though that it is a battle with yourself. (and I can be quite a tricky combatant pizza and beer are the issue) especially when it seems that McJunk Food, McSupermarket and McAdverting is committed to my downfall and eventual occupation.

Just take it one step class at a time and enjoy the journey when you feel your winning.

20/10/2010 at 11:30

Can I join in?

I haven't run for two years (used to post here occasionally, but that lapsed with the running) , and in that time have had back aches which led to comfort eating, inactivity and weight gain. I'm also pretty greedy and idle. I'm not that bothered by cakes and pastries and sweets, but I do like to slather butter on my veggies and bread, and mayonnaise on my chips. I also like to drink.

The net result, of, course, is that when I stepped on the scales a fortnight ago, I was my highest ever weight. I've started dieting, and hope to start running again in a week or two, muscles and joints permitting.

I swam for the first time in two years yesterday. Cycling is my first sport, and I have continued to cycle through weight gain, apart from the times when my back was totally crippling.

I'm a metric girl - much easier to work out BMI and percentage losses that way. When I've lost weight before, I've found I can safely lose a kilo a week while I'm really overweight, and it'll slow as I near target. 

Statistics:

Height 1.74m,

weight on 6th October 86.7kg,

weight on 20th October 84.3kg.

Goals:

Intermediate target (by Christmas) 75.4kg

Ultimate target 66.7kg

(I'm not really obsessively focused on the tenths of kilos, honest, but my scales measure them, and it gives a nice round 20kg to lose!)

Running / fitness targets: 30 minutes running and 1.5km continuous front crawl by Christmas, pool-based sprint triathlon in spring or early summer.

20/10/2010 at 15:53

Hi Yersinia

Firstly - congratulations on your weight loss already - great news.

Secondly - I really like the idea of having targets to work towards.  i've kind of just pootled along seeing how I get on, but I think doing what you have will give me a better focus.

Nice to meet you (virtually) too

Waves to everyone else 

J xxx

20/10/2010 at 19:28

Hello to new peeps.

Gym at lunchtime for me today .  Pie & Peas at a comedy night tomorrow - always a challenge not to pig out when there is plenty of food around.

20/10/2010 at 21:10
aaarghh...the 8 min run was a bit too much for my knee it just gave away suddenly under me today and now am sitting here with ice on it. I was really looking forward to running my first 2K tomorrow. Lesson learnt the hard way!
20/10/2010 at 22:09

Hi everyone

Zara - sorry about that knee, hope it gets better soon.

Andrew - well done going to the gym at lunch time.  I don't quite have that motivation (or a gym near my work).

Yersinia - sounds like you are off to a good start and well impressed with your goals.

JBiT - I know what you mean.  I've battled with my weight since I was about 8, so almost 30 years.  I can say hand on heart that I am now the fittest I've ever been, even though I'm not the slimmest, which is a bit achievement for me.

Waves to everyone else.

Having to weigh in early on Friday morning as I'm away this weekend.  Hoping that the scales are going to be kind to me.  If not I may just bin them lol.

C xx

20/10/2010 at 22:55

Hi to all,

Well weighed myself this morning a not a sausage lost, which is a tad disapointing although deep down I know I haven't been a good as I should have been.   Still I will try to be better next week.  I went for a swim tonight and managed to chop 90 secs off my 2.5km time so am feeling good from that whichI hope will help with the motivation.

Hi to all the new peeps on the thread.  Good luck to everyone with their goals.

JBiT - sometimes you can be surprised that the people who you think can eat anything and stay slim are actually those who are very controlled or actually eat little.  I work with a woman who everyone considers to be lucky and natually slim but actually it's all down to exercising regularly and to a fairly high intensity and portion control.  That said there are some jammy b*****ds that just seem to make it look effortless.

21/10/2010 at 09:15

Hi to everyone, especially new peeps who've joined since my last posting ..

Isn't it interesting! Since joining this thread and knowing I'll have to 'fess up at the end of each week I've been much more aware of what I'm eating and the possible effects I'm a weekly weigher as I know that weight can fluctuate dramatically from day to day. I can lose several pounds by going for a run or having a sauna and put as much on by drinking lots of water. So I'll try and stick to a 'same time every week' weigh in as I figure that will be more accurate.

Corrah - the mental size vs. actual size difference is something we all seem to have (like you, I think I'm slimmer than I am). I'm not body conscious like some .. would just prefer to not feel as tired with carrying this excess weight.

Jess - do you have to turn the sound up to hear your telly over the noise of the celery?

Zara - red face & hair plastered on scalp may not be a 'good' look but at least we're getting off our bums and out of the door! Oh .. just read on and seen you've hurt your knee  .. sorry to hear that

Puffin - glad to hear your mojo is back from it's hols. Sorry to hear you weren't a 'loser' this week.

Toby - well done re the gym session. I've always figured my running times will improve when I can shift some weight. I sometimes visualize myself with 7 or 14 bags of sugar round my middle (1 or 2 stone) and think how much easier it would be without them.

BTW I read somewhere of buying a bag of sugar (or similar) that weighs what you have lost that week and leaving it on the kitchen worktop or table .. to show yourself what you've achieved.

JBiT - one thing I don't have a problem with is Mc Anything .. have only eaten in there a handful of times (and that was when nowhere else was open).

Yersinia - I'm 'old skool' and brought up on lbs and stones so have problems visualizing stuff in metric. But I know its easier to work stuff out that way. Now I've got those digital scales I'll try using Kg instead. So that means I'm currently 212lb (96.1Kg) and want to aim for 192lb to begin with (call it 87.1 to make life easier) .. so 9Kg to lose.

Andrew - well done for getting to the gym at lunchtime. I'm hoping that I can get my partner's garage sorted out soon - to make room for the weights bench her son left behind. And my treadmill & sauna which are currently still at my house and gathering dust. 

21/10/2010 at 12:33

How is everyone doing today? I've been for a run this morning, and I'm busily trying to figure out how many calories are in gnocci for my dinner later!

How's your knee, Zara?

That's a good idea about imagining bags of sugar - I bet I'm a brilliant runner when I'm slim LOL!

I got on the scales this morning when I *knew* I shouldnt have - it's the wrong time of the month to be jumping on the scales. Going ti ignore that until my weigh day (Mondays)... gah.

21/10/2010 at 12:39

Weighed myself Tuesday night and had stayed the same after being really good for 2 days.  Got the major hump and didn't bother going out tuesday night, partly because I had the major arse and partly because it tipped down just I was lacing up my shoes.

Had a day off work yesterday and didn't eat particularly well in the afternoon.  Went out for dinner last night to a pub in Chislehurst, had cod and chips , then when I got home had half a bag of giant choclate buttons.  I blame the wife, she wanted a snickers bar and made me get out of the car to get it so therefore I HAD to get some chocolate for me aswell so I wouldn't feel left out.  Did run 7.5 miles in the afternoon and am back to being good today.

I'll jump on again tonight and see what occurs, I've got on-one else to blame (maybe the wife??) but myself if I've put on.

We'll see!!!

Edited: 21/10/2010 at 12:40
21/10/2010 at 13:27

Thanks for the friendly reception, and well done to all you fellow losers!

Goals are very useful for measuring progress and staying motivated, I think, as long as you don't make yourself a slave to them.

As for metric / imperial - well, although metric is my preferred system, I actually have conversion sheets, so that I have a mini-celebration when I pass significant numbers on the BMI scale and the imperial scale too. Triple the flavour, triple the fun.

81 to 100 of 4,437 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.