What's easy and what's not

6 messages
05/09/2002 at 09:15
I've run on and off for a while, but normally just to get myself fit for other sports. I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to train for a 10k, but I don't understand the 8wk training schedules on RW. What does easy mean - I'm sure what I define as easy would be tantamount to walking - is there a guide according to your pace?
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/09/2002 at 09:50
Good for you!
I'm a real beginner but I think that the pace is what is easy for you, so for me this would be a gentle jog that isn't much more than a walk!
05/09/2002 at 10:38
look at sept issue of Runners world ( and its maybe on the website somewhere) but there's a little table on page 48 which for a hlaf marathon define your HM target with a variety of paces ( 5K, 10k, "steady", and "slow/easy")

I thinks that's the bit you're looking for.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/09/2002 at 10:41
Thanks sfh legs that will help me too!
05/09/2002 at 11:01
Rebecca, the best answer to this that I've seen is on a thread called "Terminology" in the General Thread, by Dangly Spice:
Easy - you can have a chat
Steady - you can exchange talk in short bursts
Tempo - you can gasp single words
Flat out - you can gasp

Now that's something that I can understand! Good luck with the 10K - when is it?
05/09/2002 at 11:20
Thanks for the advice all. Brighton here I come!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.