Whats the best way to attach your race number to your shirt

21 to 29 of 29 messages
10/09/2012 at 21:26

Personally never had problems with the good old safety pins - they do need to be sharp.  Just keep the same 4 ready in your race kit.  Been racing since 1984 and never had a top ruined yet!

10/09/2012 at 21:26

I've now ordered some of these magnets so will report back soon.I tend to do about 20 races per year, so obviously Id prefer not to have to keep buying running tops damaged by pins.It seems the more expensive the top is, the easier it is to damage?......I noticed that there are many sizes of magnets to choose from.Ive plumped for the 20p sized ones.Hopefully they wont rub on the skin too much and will withstand the constant body movements and variable weather without falling off.Testing these very shortly.

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 21:28
10/09/2012 at 21:34

Ive noticed a few lucky runners are reporting no issues with pins...I can only tell my own experience which has been quite the opposite..Snagged materials,pulled threads right across the chest area..ok! Im sure that I could continue to wear them..But this doesnt mean pins are ideal or dont potentially cause  issues.My main point (apart from some very helpful advice) is my total surprise that a better system for pinning numbers to shirts still hasnt been invented..Dragons den would love it!

10/09/2012 at 21:46

lol Pete, best get down to see the dragons then (when you have the answer). I'll certainly not be wearing my Gore Jacket in a race and pinning a number to it! Thinking about it, can you even pin a number on to a zip up jacket??

10/09/2012 at 22:01

I wont be trying that one in a hurry Andy lol.....I thought I was simply missing something about this pin snagging malarky and a quick check on google would throw up an easy alternative thread pull free method...It appears that there is not. YET! ;0)

10/09/2012 at 22:17

what about bulldog clips? as long as you clipped them on carefully

13/09/2012 at 15:54

There is an invention waiting to happen. Its something I often think about when I am running. Anyone wants to join forces with me to come up with a new invention. I have some ideas already!

WiB
13/09/2012 at 15:59

Pin it to your shorts instead... no need for the belt!

WiB
13/09/2012 at 16:55
Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

lol Pete, best get down to see the dragons then (when you have the answer). I'll certainly not be wearing my Gore Jacket in a race and pinning a number to it! Thinking about it, can you even pin a number on to a zip up jacket??

Don't wear a jacket to race in, you'll get far too hot.  If you are warm enough at the start, you're wearing too much

I've been pinning numbers to shirts and vests for 15 years, and never damaged one.  Perhaps it's down to technique?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.