Why do I do it?

4 messages
31/10/2002 at 22:52
I've only been running since July and I do find trouble with motivation at times but I thought I'd share this with all of you who struggle for motivation now and again...

This morning I was away on a business trip at a hotel in Scotland. I hadn't been out for a week and the legs were a bit heavy. Despite the chill, I decided to go for a run. I chose the uphill direction at the end of the hotel drive. The road went round a bend and out of site, so it wasn't long before I realised that it went up hill for a long way!

It was a hell of a slog and I had to take walk breaks, stop and stretch etc. Just to the next turn, I thought. I was struggling, the wind caught me face on as I rounded next bend but I decided to try to get to the top of the hill and see if there was a view into the next valley.

After ten minutes or so, I disturbed a deer in the woods, which took my mind off the work for a while.

Finally, I got to the top of the hill just as the sun reached the top of the one on my left. No next valley, just a flat hilltop and a small wood.

I turned for home and there, spread out before me was the beautful valley I'd run out from, mist hanging in the hollows, fields turning golden in the sunrise.

I came back down that hill like I was a kid, running for the sheer joy of moving, bursting flocks of crows out of their roosts as I went under them, arriving back at the hotel in 13 minutes, having taken 20 to get to the top, and feeling great.

Now I remember why I go running!
31/10/2002 at 23:20
SP

Scotland is the most magical, mysterious place on earth to be - and is an inspiration for anything! The mist in the hollows you describe is Scotland to a 'T'..the very essence. It makes you glad to be alive - all my childhood holidays were in Scotland - usually in a tent!!

I am with you as you bound down from the top of that hill - just as a gazelle would. I can share the energy you felt as you descended...and the satisfaction at the end.

Do me a favour? Do one for me next time you're there?!

Easy running to you

Jay
01/11/2002 at 19:21
Nice thoughts!
02/11/2002 at 13:38
Thanks Jay,

Not sure when I'm getting up north again (I'm Midlands-based, near Banbury) but I'll definately do an extra 1/2k for you when I get back there!

SP

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.