women only running clubs

10 messages
kag
30/10/2003 at 16:54
I am new to running and looking for a womens only running group in the solihul area,as I find it difficult to motivate myself at the moment. I am looking for a begginners group who are happy to accept an overweight plodder! Can anyone help? Thanks
31/10/2003 at 18:52
why do you need a woman only club???????? there would be hassle if i requested a men only club
31/10/2003 at 21:32
Have you tried The Women's Running Network? They may have a local group, their website would be the first place to look. Or alternatively Running Sisters do the same sort of thing.
04/11/2003 at 16:50
whereabouts are you?

in surrey there are the epsom allsorts, if you see Murf, Tiger or Lindihopper around then they are all members of the Allsorts.

by the way the oddballs are a men only club, xt350!

I run for the epsom harriers, who have a group that I train with that happen to be just women-Im sure there are loads of mixed clubs like that
04/11/2003 at 17:07
sigh

no there wouldn't, xt

04/11/2003 at 17:31
Personally I like running with a few fit blokes.... ;-)
05/11/2003 at 00:03
For those that want them - why do you want a women only running club? Is it because of the behaviour of men at running clubs you have tried ? I know at least one woman that left her running club because of just that reason.

05/11/2003 at 08:16
I run with a mixed group..the blokes are great..of course they think they are gods gift to running..but as long as you don't mind that you'll have a great laugh...
Just joking lads
05/11/2003 at 13:43
I too am tempted by the idea of a womens running club, just to clarify why. It's not a sexist thing, it's the same reason that I like the womens only lane swimming at my local pool. I have body issues. I spent most of my life overweight. I just feel so selfconscious around men. I know for a fact that it's me that has the (confidence) problem and not the clubs with the problem. Another reason is that the group dynamics of women on their own and mixed groups is intrinsically different. I'm not saying one is better or worse, they are just different. I think that when I bite the bullet and pluck up the courage to join a group I will go for a mixed one, although I know that a single sex one would be an easier option for me. COURAGE! I will boost my self confidence...

(~:
11/11/2003 at 22:31
Have a look at Dudley Ladies Running Club on www.dudleyladies.co.uk We're based in Wombourne in the West Midlands and cater for ladies just like you.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.