Wonky legs!

5 messages
09/09/2002 at 10:35
Hi everyone. I've been dipping in and out of threads and now I have a question of my own.

I've been told that I should run the same way I walk - with my heel meeting the ground first. If that's true, why does it feel so weird.

Plus, however I run, from time to time I get 'dead legs' from the knee downwards. It makes it hard to feel if I'm running properly, and sometimes I almost trip.

Any tips? I run 1.5 miles in 18 mins, 3x a week (started June 20, not that I remember the date or anything..........) and am in good general health, if a touch overweight. Thanx - you're a really friendly bunch, and very encouraging.
09/09/2002 at 12:56
Hi Sassie - I started running a month later than you, and was told the same thing about my heels. Being a rebellious kind of mongoose, I thought b*gger that, I don't care how I run so long as I keep it going for the first few months. Others will know much much more than me, but at the moment I reckon if I can get up to 5K without walking that's good enough for me whatever style I run in...
BTW bought Bob Cooper's The Runners Handbook this weekend, which is really excellent on all aspects of running.
09/09/2002 at 16:54
Thanx Meercat - I might try to get a copy of the book.
09/09/2002 at 16:57
Sassie - if you naturally run on your forefoot you probably have a natural potential to run fast. You could check out the Gordon Pirie thread for more info on this.

Glenn
10/09/2002 at 09:25
Oops - make that Bob Glover. Memory never too good on a Monday...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.