working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

181 to 200 of 234,923 messages
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
13/02/2004 at 15:31
Plodder
Don't do self denial, that's the road to failure for one little slip.

Try 'I won't have any today' tacitic, then if you wish carry that on each day or every other day.

You could always have some choccie (just a little), but really enjoy it once a week, this will then be without guilt. It's worth a try.
13/02/2004 at 15:50
ten ton - wine spritzers are always good - just have a measure of wine in a taller glass and top it up with sparkling water.

Lasts for ages + also is good if you are out with mates and splitting a bottle between you.

Don't know how much in calories exactly, but in weight watcher points is equal to a measure of spirits and a low-cal mixer (so I guess 50 - 100 cals) - but certainly better than alco pops.

I think most spirits are ok as long as you mix them with lo-cal mixers (+ don't go mad, of course)
13/02/2004 at 15:55
ten ton - alco pops (or anything like that ) are what you need to be ware of. They have MEGA calories (sugar), and I've a feeling that even the 'light' ones are still quite dire.

much better off with what people have already suggested.
13/02/2004 at 16:03
Caren - thanks for advice. I'm slowly getting better at it - used to stuff my face every day - could go days on end eating only chocolate.... today's disaster is first choccie for 3 days so that's not too bad. Might try and force myself to take muppets out for extra walk after work to compensate a bit - to me for all the calories and to them to having been rather "home aloned" this week.
Will also definitely run at weekend...
13/02/2004 at 16:47
Okay, advice has been taken on board. Now I'm going to put it to the test!! ;-)

Alcopops will be avoided. Have a good weekend.
13/02/2004 at 18:00
have a good time tonight ten ton, have one for us.

I'm off out r*nning.

rumour has it hubbie has a dinner organised for tommorrow

good r*nning/walking/jogging this weekend all.

T1
13/02/2004 at 20:24
Hi all

Today's a rest day for me. I did my hilly fartlek last night. I'm sure it must have done me good, but neither my intervals or hill climbs were particularly speedy- but then again it's all relative isn't it?

The downside of getting somewhat fitter is that I'm now finding it a real struggle to run fast enough to get my hr up to lactate threshold. And, with me being me, I tend to give into the temptation to slow down again and just jog.

Tomorrow morning I'm going with the club on their long run. We've got an 11.5 miler planned, which should prove very useful to me as my 10 mile race is only 3 weeks away.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
13/02/2004 at 21:29
Sloooooow 10 miler this evening.
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
14/02/2004 at 07:53
Morning all
Got a load of flowers and a soppy card, dunno whether to be glad or sorry that there was no choccie!!
No running for me today, I'm supposed to be doing a 10k tomorrow, legs and ankles not too bad this morning so it looks positive.
See you later
XB
14/02/2004 at 08:22
Morning - heart shaped biccies (jammy dodger style) for me.

3 miles in 30 mins for me. Maybe another long slow plod later.

TTFN
14/02/2004 at 08:24
morning

very , very gentle and short plod for me today prior to the lonest run of my life tomorrow
14/02/2004 at 08:24
Longest

and perhaps loneliest too
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
14/02/2004 at 08:32
You won't be lonely, you'll have hundreds of forumites with you in spirit :)))
14/02/2004 at 08:54
Doesnt really matter anyway
Do all my runs on my own as it is

its just the thought of seeing all the others finished, while i have to go round another 5 loops
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
14/02/2004 at 11:49
I've just had confirmation of the Adidas training day in Wimbledon next week!!

My stomach is doing flip flops, this FLM thing is getting more and more real..........................

<<<<<< omygod what have I done >>>>>

Is anyone else going to this? It would be great to meet some other forumites there.

I'd better just get on with my course work if I'm going to be away next Sunday
14/02/2004 at 12:04
Off out for long run today. It's cold and damp and got no one to drive me anywhere nice so eill have to run along canal with annoying fishermen :-(

Wanted to go out first thing this morn but didn't plan it very well - started eatng breakfast and didn't stop (huge bowl of porridge, jam buttie, montana choccie biscuit) so have had to wait for all that to settle before I head out the door. Not evn gonna try to go any faster than ultra-slow plod today, just not in the mood.

btw ten ton, the 'not today' thing sometimes works for me too. Saving things for treats for the weekend rather than just denying yourself will mean you have more control over eating chocolate/McDonalds or whatever. Saying that though, look at what I had for brekkie and that was just supposed to be a small pre-run bowl of porridge!
14/02/2004 at 12:27
morning all!

well, completed walk/run last night. Wasn't brill, but slightly better than last session.

I have noticed that now I am starting to 'push' on my weekend endurance run, my mid-week times seem to be increasing, and I don't feel so comfortable, somehow.

anyone had experience of this?

I'm trying to develop a longer w/e run as I'm in a 10m race on 7 march. To be anywhere near that kind of distance, my increments are more like 15-20% than 10%.

Quite keen to try and get to the 10 miler (which I have to admit I mistakenly entered originally thinking 10K) - am keen to go ahead if poss, as there seems to be a dearth of local events close to me and I am restricted for travel.

Anyway, on a lighter note - have 1 red rose, and 11 chocolate ones (so doing a diet slide today) :)

Ten ton - are you still with us (hangover warn off yet?)

Gaz - how's your leg?

Carold - I agree with you - I don't think the occasional 'day off' a diet is necessarily a bad thing - as you can still have 'control' by limiting anything a bit naughty to that day + having something to look forward to as well when you are being 'good' . (as long as you don't eat a whole tin of roses etc tee hee)

good luck tommorrow hipps! (go girl!)

good runs all! see you later
14/02/2004 at 12:46
Trin
Yes, you may be overdoing the weekly mileage a bit.

BUT- if you slow the long run down (I know you might say 'even more') it will take a lot less out of you, and still do you as much good, stamina wise, as a faster run.

It's all about building up the mitochonria (energy factories) in the leg muscles.

If your long run is easier you should find that your mid-week sessions get quicker, without an obvious increase in effort.

Hope this helps a bit. Please note I'm not so good at practising what I preach!
14/02/2004 at 12:53
thanks ff!

I'll give that a go tommorrow - I thought I might actually increase the distance by doing a bit of walking too, rather than running it all*.

* for running read anything vagualy above drag-your-legs-along-behind-you-pace ;)

thanks for your quick reply!

hope you have a good weekend.

TTFN, T1

14/02/2004 at 13:05
I did my 12 miler with the club. We went out at 8.30, so I've now got that wonderful feeling that all the hard work is over for the day.
Hubby's off for his 1 hour run now, so I thought I'd catch up with the thread.

Loads of luck, Hippo, for tomorrow. It's an ultra isn't it - is that 50k????

Hope everyone's running goes well today.

BTW, Trin, if you're doing a 10 miler in 3 weeks. My club are starting their taper next week, pre the 10 mile race on 7th March. We did 12 miles today, but next week it'll be back down to 9, but that will be a hillier route.

Sometimes I wish I live in East Anglia. Even our flattish routes seem pretty hilly to me!
181 to 200 of 234,923 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.