working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

211,121 to 211,140 of 229,695 messages
13/10/2012 at 09:57
Go go Spence and family :0)

Belated birthday greetings for Mr JFF :0)

Hi Jay I walk too, not very far and not very fast :0)

Off to the tip :0)

((( waisters ))))
13/10/2012 at 10:59

I'm so proud of my boy

I'd given him the old don't start off too fast talk and the three of us started together, doing the first mile in 10:08 all was well, at 1:8 mile DD decided she needed to stop for a wee  I told the boy to go on.....I didn't catch him! I could see him ahead going well  my last 2 miles were just under 10mm  and came in at 31ish minutes, having forgotten to turn my watch off  just waiting to find out the boys result hopefully he dipped in under 30mins   His first Parkrun, the furtherest he's ever run and he didn't stop

XB
13/10/2012 at 11:19

and 

13/10/2012 at 11:25

for the boy Spence!

and to Mr Far Far - happy birthday! Hope he cooked himself a nice birthday tea ...

DL, for once I can beat your gas pipe story. We once put a pickaxe through the gas main in our back yard. It was about 2 inches under the concrete!! Mr P put mastic and tape on it and carried on digging up the yard. A couple of days later, we rang the gas board who sent a man round in seconds. We did explain it had a happened a while ago and he agreed that it had been made safe ... I think they gave us a new pipe at a sensible depth!

13/10/2012 at 11:33

Haha Jenni-in the style of Little Britain "I am a LADY!!!" No really I am.

Have I revealed too much? It was quite late when I posted last night, I tend to ramble...

What a weird job interview-marshmallows & pasta!?!

Rest day today, cooking and light gardening for me (i.e vegan muffins and sweeping the back yard of fallen leaves)

Good Parkruns all round then Spence

Have a lovely day everyone

JH

13/10/2012 at 12:26

The boy did 30:30

My average pace was 9:58 which I'm really pleased with after last week

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 12:28
XB
13/10/2012 at 12:29

Storming stuff.

13/10/2012 at 13:10

Wow, the Spence clan is indeed storming through ))) Next thing you know you'll be rivalling the Westies! 

Belated HBD to Mr FarFar. Glad you had such a nice pardee for him. And good on ya for giving blood, JFF. Wish I could, but having been in the UK between 1992 and 2000 (when CJD was appearing) my blood isn't acceptable over here

Snaily, those interviews are somewhere between absurd and insulting! Brings back all the happy days with the fabulously business consultants, who made us do this kind of crap. Used to make my blood boil to see top managers (whose time must have been worth hundreds of quid per hour) doing this sort of junk. Why poor Mr Snail has to do this is beyond me. 

Nogs, you are a public benefactor. Just think how lovely for the other dancing mums to have, not yet another mum to talk to, but  a radiantly fit athletic hunk like you? It'll make their day, you mark my words! 

(((((((((((((Amandax)))))))))))))

One of the many benefits of running for a mum is that it does give you a bit of 'you time' when you don't have to solve the minute by minute problems of everyone else. 

You didn't ramble, Jay. Or rather, if you did, it's fine, we all do on here as you may have noticed. Well done on coming back from the ME. Lots of us here have been around it in some form or other and know what a beast it can be. So you just keep right on wiggling and that Park Run will be a great event.

DL, what a scary thing with the gas---and gah! that nobody is responsible despite having drilled into the pipes?!? Pippi, LOL at your story of the gas company. We had something similar: they cut us for for '24 hours' to fix something. Three days later still no gas, and it was cold and C1 was a baby. So Mr C had a look at the line in the road, then called the gas people and said 'I've spent 10 years on oil tankers, and I know what a valve looks like. I can see the gas valve in front of my house and if someone doesn't get here in half an hour to turn it on, I'll turn it on myself.' Cue scene from Keystone Cops: little gas vans began arriving at top speed from all sides, I think there were five in the end. Never made so many cups of coffee in one morning! And they DID turn the gas back on)

Bedding washed and ironed, coffemaker de-scaled, we're having a riotous time down here. But nice brisk autumn weather, so Rossie and I are off to the hills for a nice ramble. xx

13/10/2012 at 13:54
Well I ran! 11 miles with few hills and few walks. Then 2 mile walk at end as we got a bit lost! Was lovely day but chilly wind. Knee a bit niggly after 7 miles. Worse going down hill. Any ideas on what I should do?
13/10/2012 at 16:29

Oh Amandax I feel your pain never forget Meldy and I doing a duck waddle down the hills at Rutland, going down became worse than going up!! Rest & frozen peas I'd say! Is your half next weekend?

I wish I'd entered Brum half now

Forgot to say this morning was filmed  going out on Central news next Friday ahead of Brum half. As DD and I finished the camerman had his camera on the floor so as to get DD's face  hope she's on and they don't show me puffing and panting behind her !!'

The boy wants to do the PR again which is fab but it does mean I'll have to jiggle my long runs

M...eldy    pirate
13/10/2012 at 17:36

Evening  all

Just watching the start of Kona

Have had a lovely couple of hours playing in the mud in the woods on the bikes, have had soup and a shower followedby my dinner, got a bit chilly towards the end as we stopped for a hot chocolate at the Cafe in the Woods 

Nice running family Spence!

Amanda, I would do a lotof stability exercises to strengthen the old knee stabilisers

13/10/2012 at 18:29

Evening, thanks GC-I'll be out for another wiggle tomorrow afternoon after work!

Well the garden is tidy and swept, and my baking this morning went well-I now have vegan muffins to add to my repetoire! (I'm not strictly vegan but I really pay attention to my diet after having ME)

Relaxing evening as up early for work in the morning.

Brilliant times Spence!

Amanda well done on 11 miles and look after those knees-they call it RICE -rest, ice, compression, elevation!

13/10/2012 at 20:12

Evening all and well done the Spence family can't wait till he says mum come and do the Brum marathon with me

Managed to get out and dodge the rain ended up running round Loch leven it was something I had hoped to do in a few weeks time. Scott came along then ran back at the 5 mile point to get his car and meet at the finish. Pleased that I made it all the way with no walking so 12k logged which has been my longest continuous run to date.I have to report I am knackered now so a couple of glasses are due to be had.

13/10/2012 at 20:22

will this work :-When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 Beers.
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous 'yes.'
The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire
contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..
'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else---the small stuff.'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.
If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents.
Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.
Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The
professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.' The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

M...eldy    pirate
13/10/2012 at 20:24

It took some reading Westie but the beer at the end was worth it 

14/10/2012 at 00:43
I am home after run club anniversary do. It was good . I danced and drank and ate. Now need sleep!
Nog
14/10/2012 at 06:52

Morning each,

I've got up far too early.  It's long ride day and it's still dark.

Time for more coffee

M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 07:51

Morning all

I had to scrape the car this morning .. whats that all about !!!

Noggs & Podds you have an email from me (at work) with a form for next weekend should you require one, check yer spam box 

14/10/2012 at 07:58

morning all

more coffee please

14/10/2012 at 09:46

morning

Phewie glad I do't have a form to fill in

Tis a beautiful day here, cold but blue sky

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.