working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

211,201 to 211,220 of 234,986 messages
15/10/2012 at 12:07

Lucky English Setter, great end to a potentially sad story

We have the BFG (Big Fat George) and Mr Darsey coming in all the time.  BFG has been sitting in our bedroom window when I've woken up in the morning, last week he was asleep on the landing outside the bedroom door.  Its the first time Mr Darsey has been sleeping on the bed though!  We have the "water gun" technique (chase them down the stairs spraying warter), obviously they dont give a crap and still come in.  HC isnt bothered and just sleeps on our bed regardless, he gives them a swipe now and then, but he's just not committed to the fight!

There is an obvious solution, which I voiced to MrS yesterday.....get a dog!

15/10/2012 at 12:09
PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

Vandalism or Art ?  Monday's question...............

They look kinda scary

15/10/2012 at 13:05

I rather like them I must admit

15/10/2012 at 13:08
PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

Vandalism or Art ?  Monday's question...............

I wouldn't necessarily call that vandalism what with all the scrawls on bus stops & the like we get round here, but it's not to my personal taste so I can't call it art either

Been to get my ears lowered this morning, chilling out with a film this afternoon, then out for the late shift at work later on. Can you tell it's a rest day haha!

M...eldy    pirate
15/10/2012 at 13:19

Moooorning ... I survived the night you'll be pleased to know, well some of you might be 

How lovely that the setter found a home Chuggs, had they just abandoned her at the side of the road??

Not many other cats venture towards my door ... unsurprisingly

15/10/2012 at 13:41

ahhh glad the dawgie has a lovely home now, how dreadful!

JayHell wrote (see)

Been to get my ears lowered this morning,

??????????

As the wall isn't talking to me anymore I made up my own interval session !

15/10/2012 at 15:07

What did you do to get on the wrong side of the wall, Spence? (Reminds me of a great country western song called 'A one-sided conversation with a narrow minded wall'. C-W lyrics are the best there are---my top fave being a song I have (maybe understandably) only heard once called 'You are the ring in the bathtub of my life'. It's the kind of thing you DO remember after one hearing )

Podds, deffo not art. Not sure its vandalism. But maybe cruelty to animals? I don't like people who use animals to make their point, whatever it is. 

How are the ears surviving the icy blasts, Jay? Was this just the normal monthly pruning session or have you had radical redesign done? 

Snaily, I think you've hit on the perfect solution to the cat over-population problem ))) Was Mr Snail convinced? And any more news on the job front? Fingers still crossed for him here.

No sign of Pippi today? Hope it doesn't mean she was totally whacked after yesterday. 

Yes, Meldy, the poor dog was just dumped. I'm afraid there is a lot of that here, especially at this season when they try out hunting dogs and any that don't cut it get turfed out. The phenomenon even has a name, it's called 'l'abandon' which is just what it sounds like. It's one reason I will be making cakes like mad at the end of next week for the Phoenix booksale: http://phoenixasso.com/

Rossie and I have just done a nice little 3 mile stroll. Very little running but with bright sun and crisp wind it was lovely. It's gone grey again now so we chose the right moment. 

15/10/2012 at 15:59

Spence it means a haircut!!

15/10/2012 at 16:12
Gentle Chugger wrote (see)

Podds, deffo not art. Not sure its vandalism. But maybe cruelty to animals? I don't like people who use animals to make their point, whatever it is.

They're not real Chuggy!!

15/10/2012 at 16:34

not feeling it at all today. been tired all day. just want to sleep. hoping the 5mi jog home and a swim with the missus will perk me up a bit, and i'll get a decent sleep tonight and be fresh tomorrow.

15/10/2012 at 17:48

Afternoon,

Nice story about the setter, Chuggy, I am glad it has found a good home.

Good to catch sight of the lesser spotted twizzletuft.*waves to Yummity*

I'm afraid that the skeleton cows  did make me laugh - does that mean that I am very wicked??

I also laughed at Snaily's cat problem - stoopid HC, allowing everyone else in. I am not surprised that no-one goes near Meldy's place!

Alfie has been Out There today and showing every sign of taking on a large biscuit-coloured cat that visits our garden. I must admit that I was very pleased to have Alfie-boy back inside.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

15/10/2012 at 17:54

Chuggs, abandoning, or cruelty to, dogs, or any animals, will make me fall out with people very quickly.  That is a disgraceful way to treat an animal.

Sorry, that was nearly a soapbox moment.

An annual milestone has been reached a couple of months early.  My accounts are pristine and with my accountant.  It's not so much that I've been efficient, just slightly less tardy than usual.

After all the milarkey about Lance Armstong's doping activities, I just hope that British Cycling don't start testing for red wine at sportives.  I'm working on a way of getting a crystal decanter into the bottle cage on my bike.

I should have done stretches and core work today but I opened a bottle of red instead.

I've spent a some time this afternoon working out how to travel to Austria for skiing next February.  I've been faffing with this for some time.  If I drive we can stay at a lovely cheap B and B, where we know the family,  We can try some other villages that HL hasn't been to - like Kitzbuhel where she can ski The Streif downhill run.  That'll end in divorce.

Sounds like I've made my decision doesn't it?

Time to get dinner cooking.

M...eldy    pirate
15/10/2012 at 18:11

What have we got to go with the red wine Noggs?

15/10/2012 at 18:19
Ah right Jay !! Doh!!
Not looking good for Lance is it !
15/10/2012 at 18:27

Baked gammon with a cream sauce, celeriac chilli gratin, carrots and new taters.

You may question a red wine with that, but Merlot or Cote du Rhone would do nicely but, as it happens I'm drinking Shiraz - the underrated alcopop of the wine world.

15/10/2012 at 18:54

woo Hoo, just had an EMail from a ski buddy from Austria.  He wants to joins HL and I in Italy in the New Year. .  He's a ski instructor so he may encourage HL to tackle some of the tougher blacks.

And going back to my earlier post, he's up for a lift to Austria in Feb, that'll make it even cheaper per head.

Done deal.

M...eldy    pirate
15/10/2012 at 19:09

Sounds like a plan coming together !!

15/10/2012 at 19:22

Ddin't come back yesterday as b-i-l turned up (as invited) followed shortly after by staggering marathoners! both finished, sore knee one in 5:23 or something thereabouts. They stayed for beer and dinner - lots of meat with a small and varied assortment of vegetables!

They are meant to be doing Birmingham half next weekend!

15/10/2012 at 19:30
I can't believe I didn't enter that!
Mind you that was mostly cos of the cost now that its been taken over...
That and I remember how shite I felt last year!!

Well done to the nephews
15/10/2012 at 20:57
Gentle Chugger wrote (see)

Chuggs, I'm so sorry, I've just been giggling at that - you're obviously not aware of themilton keynes concrete cows... (I've only heard of them cos I have a friend who lives there). We were laughing at the weekend about them being painted as skeletons I think it's pretty cool actually... Love the woman on the BBC news site saying 'it's clearly not a vendetta against our cows cos they did a dinosaur too'

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.