working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

211,241 to 211,260 of 234,261 messages
16/10/2012 at 17:30

Oh Sluggie, that's a really tough one, particularly at the age of 20. He seems to have acted with great presence of mind throughout, staying with the victim and calling for help, so it's even more sad for him that the victim died. But maybe it helps for him to know he did everything there was to do. 

Great photo of happy marathonners!! Gad, we are a handsome lot, aren't we? !?)))

Daffs, you can't NOT let us read it now! I doubt if any of us will actually be able to understand it, but we're boung to be even more impressed by your brilliance. So where's the link???

Very wet and grey and chilly here. Market this morning, but Mr C has got either a cold or an allergy---very sneezy and headachey so I'm glad it's a quiet day for once. 

16/10/2012 at 17:45

G'day each.

There's a fair bit going on but as I'm old and infirm I've forgotten most of it.  

Slugs, that's not nice for a young fella to deal with.  My two penn'orth is - don't make it too much of an issue or make him feel he should be feeling all gloom and doom.  He'll probably cope with it fine in his own way.

I've had a day bringing trees down with my chainsaw - that's always a good day.

I've just done a 90 minute maintenance ride and it flowed nicely despite a rubbish sleep last night.

M...eldy    pirate
16/10/2012 at 17:49

Nice one Noggs!

16/10/2012 at 18:15

My bike buying plans are all messed up.  I had my heart set on a Trek Madone, now I've just seen a Moser Carbon fibre equipped with Shimano Dura Ace - for the non bikies that's top end kit or the puppies privates in other words - on offer at Wiggle with £1200 pounds off.

It makes it nearly £300 cheaper than the Trek for much better kit - it's a 2012 model and ticks two very important boxes.

Top end kit AND Italian.

Do I even need to think about it?

M...eldy    pirate
16/10/2012 at 18:21

Noggs .. are you playing on Sunday or are you standing me and Podds up?

XB
16/10/2012 at 18:29

£1200 off. Flipping heck. I hate to think how much it costs. More than a week round the back of Rackhams.

I like that photo. It reminds me that marathons have fun bits as well as sweary parts.

Off to that there Pilates. Laters.

M...eldy    pirate
16/10/2012 at 18:37

Talking of the back of Rackhams ... I have sold my 'old' Garmin and I think if I can sell one of my other items that I have listed then I can meet the demands of the local vetn'ry .... my buckles are pulled in very tightly this month but I am quite pleased that I have managed to do it (nearly)
and I really ought to have my fingers crossed at this stage as it is only half way through the month!!

I didnt get up to see the FGO this morning but wasn't too distressed at the thought because I will be there tomorrow and Thursday and Saturday, or so I thought!!   A nice little 12 hour shift tomorrow by the looks of it so I will be well tired and grumpy by brekkie time !

16/10/2012 at 19:19

Looks like Christmas has come early for Noggy and his dream bike Go on you know you want to
That's our old caravan now sold to a local farmer which takes the pressure off getting taken off site. The farmers get them for the Berry pickers who come over to help out with the harvest so they get a bargain and we just write it off.
Well I have been waiting for my luck to run out and today it did, pardon the pun but I have had a good run for my money so far this year after a trouble free few months.Today after about 3k I was by passing some road works and hit the boggy grass next to the pavement did my impression of "bamby" trying to stand up for the first time.Anyway ended up pulling my left calf which stopped me dead and i limped to the bus station to get home. I.C.E. treatment started but I know it will take a good while to recover just glad I got my charity run in first .
I can spend the time reading Daffs work if she gets round to sending us a link

16/10/2012 at 20:24
Ahh ((((((((Westie)))))
Blink in' heck Nogs that's serious wonga!
My marathon had too many sweary bits and not enough smiley bits

Oh and can you believe it, Snaily is in Brum without telling AND without her running kit!!

*shocked face*
On iPod so can't do icons!!
16/10/2012 at 20:25
Oh I can do icons but don't know how to do a shocked face one!!
:-0
16/10/2012 at 20:29
((( Westie)))

Sounds like a fantastic bike Noggs :0)

Lovely photo XB and JFF :0)

(((( waisters))))
M...eldy    pirate
16/10/2012 at 20:36

Westie .. that is indeed well timed bad luck but you know what, the fitter you are the quicker you heal 

I am trying to watch the final of the Great Brisitsh Bake Off on a telly out of the corner of my eye with the sound off ... I live the high life!!

16/10/2012 at 22:29

((((((Westie)))))))

Evening all

Where's the link Daffs - come on 'fess up

Noggy - at that much of a discount it would be rude not to!

Melds - what are you working Saturday (if at all?)

16/10/2012 at 22:30

PS - also watched GBBO but thought they were all afflicted by nerves as generally performed much worse than in previous rounds..........says she the "great Ffanniit baker" innit

did enjoy it though

16/10/2012 at 22:48

Hello there,

I am a rookie runner, wanting to compete in the Sheffield half marathon in May!

I'm running twice a week on a 3.5 mile course which is reasonably hilly (it is Sheffield after all!), and my most recent is 10'54/mile, my best. I'm wanting to compete the 1/2 marathon in under 2 hours, a steep challenge but there is 6 months to prepare.

My figuring is as follows - to run under 2 hours I'll have to do (approximately) 9 minute miles. I can jog forever pretty much, but fail at running. Therefore, I plan to slowly increase my jogging speed to around 9 minutes, and then increase the distance, ie. get my 3.5 mile circuit to below 9 minutes, then go to 4.5, or 5 and do that inside 9 minute mile time.

Is this the right approach? It seems logical, but running isn't my expertise. As I say I don't necessarily feel absolutely knackered after my 3.5 miles but I'm pretty poofed. Whenever I try and go faster, I usually revert back to my usual jogging pace within 200 yards! I could run fast for the run, but I'm certain I'd be walking for the last bit, and I'd rather jog the whole way, seeing as that is what I'll be doing in the marathon.

Thoughts would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Jack

17/10/2012 at 07:15

Morning

Jack, someone will be along with advice soon

17/10/2012 at 08:13

morning all

hello Jack! my advice is just build up the distance at a speed that you could manage whilst chatting   - one long run at slow pace, and try and do 2 other runs in the week with one at a faster pace - simples! also don't be too hung up on a target time for your first race, save that for the next one!

I'm working at home today to try and get a "model" made without being disturbed. didn't run cos it was tipping down so shall go out later, and I got to have breakfast with my Littlun - nice start

17/10/2012 at 08:51

Hello Jack I'm in Sheffield too (you may well have whizzed past me at some point!) so know thoe hills only too well.... As Jenni says, don't try and do all your runs at the same pace - long slow ones, and a couple of faster ones in the week. 6 months is loads of time - you'll get there

Naughty snaily!

Working at home today, thank goodness

PS - can't imagine why you'd *want* to read it, but if you insist, tis here. And bear in mind I submitted it over 18 months ago and I'm not allowed to make any changes after it's been examined, so there's all kinds of nonsense in there I wouldn't write any more, and no I don't want the spelling mistakes pointed out, thanks

17/10/2012 at 09:04

I've just read the aknowledgements on Daffs thesis  brought a little tear to my eye! don't think I can manage any more though lol

17/10/2012 at 09:39

Aw jenni, you daft woman They're probably the best bit anyway

(noticed yesterday one of my references is highlighted in bright blue with [TITLE???] instead of a title...)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.