working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

211,381 to 211,400 of 238,453 messages
28/10/2012 at 13:54

lolo

woohooo well done Amandax

still vibing for Noggs

well done to the family Spence!

we had a lovely sunny day yesterday, and it was bright this morning but drizzly now so I shall postpone the dog walk till later. this morning I have swum 100 lenghts and plodded 6 miles - see my halo shine

Mr FF is taking my olds to see his olds when he gets back from rugby! how brave is that

28/10/2012 at 17:18

He's a good 'un that Mr Far Far

Woo Hoo well done Amandax!  

H ended up coming for a roast dinner with her tat!  which I have to say is mostly tat!!  daught was then off out, the boys off to PC world so grapping the window of opportunity we went off to Notcutts for a mooch and a cuppa

M...eldy    pirate
28/10/2012 at 17:32

Jenni are they going to rattle about in the back of theWAISTer bus with a couple of terriers?? 

Hope Noggs has got on ok ...

Well run Amanda!

We managed a good couple of hours out on the bikes and up to our knees in proper mud and leaves and stuff, a few degress warmer than yesterday I think, thats still 4 1/2hrs biking this weekend for me .... off to work for a night shift shortly !!..

M...eldy    pirate
28/10/2012 at 17:32

Oh yes and we had Roast Chicken in the pub afters 

28/10/2012 at 17:35

woop, woop, mandax. Sounds as though it all went rather well and the knee held up even if it isn't perfect

*admires Noggs cogliones* Must be those race shorts......

oh, Farfar, God bless mr farfar and I hope it went well - for the olds at least. 100 lengths and 6 miles plodded ? Hmmm, reckon you must be training for a tri or just trying to avoid the wrinklies

Blimey, podds, a teenager you might actually like ??? hoorah for decent teenagers everywhere - all both of them

*throws some bits in Chuggs case*  and squeezes it into the car*

Cush says thanks for the placard. She's so please someone realises how important she is!

Talking of Cush, met up with chum and her dawg. Surprisingly Cush behaved impecably while he was on his lead but she didn't cope well when he came off his lead and went off exploring. He didn't take any notice of her but she couldn't cope with him disappearing and reappearing. At one point he went one way and his mum went another - Cush looked at him, looked at his Mum and clearly this bothered her. Bless, she did much better than I thought but still some way to go.

28/10/2012 at 17:39

Sounds like my kinda cycle, M...elds and finishing in the pub with a roastie chickabidee

Oh and it turns out the oven I had which I thought was self cleaning, isn't. So, that's 15 years of grime accumulated. Thank goodness I'm getting a new one

28/10/2012 at 17:42

Well done Amanda, sounds like you had a good day out which is half the battle, but.......

Amandax wrote (see)
Official time 1.29.26 for a supposed 13.1km tho my Garmin measured it lo get than that. 13.1k is 8.1 m and I made it 8.5m .

If it was an officially measured course (and if it had a race permit then it has been officially measured) then their measurement is correct and  your garmin is not!!

Garmin "rules":
- if you make the course shorter you had signal issues
- if you make the course longer you didn't run the "best fit line of official measurement" think the blue line at London

Offical course measurement is incredibly precise and involves such things as the bike wheel circumference, tyre pressure and air temperature measured (as this affects tyre pressure and hence total wheel circumference) amongst other things in order to get a precise measurement.

Also as a point of interest that not many people know.....an officially measured course may not be less than the declared distance but can be slightly longer i.e. a 10k course should more accurately be described as "not less than 10k"......

As a race director the invention of garmins has been akin to the invention of facebook for teenage friendship groups - a bliddy disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tried to walk the dogs again today but the firework bangs in the distance were enough to send Sharkey scuttling for home so we aborted watch out for 10 days of the afternoon walk having to be in daylight which is near impossible with the change of the clocks.......

Will pop back in later to see how the Nogmeister got on - have all sorts of things crossed that he had a great day

M...eldy    pirate
28/10/2012 at 17:43

It was great fun ... takes 20 years off you!! lots of girlies screams  

28/10/2012 at 17:44

Awwwyhaaaay, Amadax, that's bliddy well done!! Especially in this weather---you get an extra gold medal for braving this cold! Good that the knee didn't behave TOO badly but good that you're having it checked. 

JFF, Yums is right, sounds like there is a tri in your future ) And Mr FF is truly a star. Hopefully that get-together will be a really enjoyable day for them all. 

Well done, Cushtie! But I've seen before that if one dog is on a lead and the other isn't, somehow that causes trouble even if they normally get on well. Still big progress for her! 

Podds, why is said teenager so anxious to get into your good books??? Sounds fishy to me!)

Melds, that sounds like a very bracing session on the bike! Glad to know there was a roast chicken reward at the end of it. 

Nearly packed here, just last minute things left, so I'm going to make a nice dinner and we'll put our feet up now. 

28/10/2012 at 17:45

Meant to say, no sign of Nogs yet? Hope he's not frozen to death!!!!

28/10/2012 at 17:56

Hello everyone

I have been reminded recently, that the WAISters are a great bunch and I know I should keep in touch but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Sorry xx

Its bliddy cold here (despite the hot sweats that are trying to tell me otherwise).

Holly, James and Stanley stayed with us for a few days a couple of weeks ago to coincide with Stanley's 2nd birthday. We had a great time and are looking forward to Christmas when they will be back again.

It looks like I may have just caught Chuggs before she goes off on a trip again

Hello and Bon Voyage if that's the case.

Anyone got a few hours spare for an update please? x

M...eldy    pirate
28/10/2012 at 18:13

2nd Birthday Larry?? Heavens that has gone quick ..!!

Lovely to see you again just dont leave it quite so long next time 

28/10/2012 at 18:19

2nd birthday !!  Blinkin heck, where's that gone!!?

God to see you

28/10/2012 at 18:21

HI Meldy

I didn't realise quite how long it has been. Good to be back again.

I willl do my best to look in again as soon as I can. xx

28/10/2012 at 18:22

Hi Spence.

God be with you too

28/10/2012 at 18:41

Woooohooo, it's Larry!! )))) Great to see you, sweetie, how you been?? It's impossible that Stanley is 2 already---especially when you see how much change there is in 2 years at that age. Any chance of a photo?? 

As to updates...wow. Well, superb long distance performances have recently been turned in by Spence, DL (who continues to enjoy spending her spare ie non-running time as a professional train-spotter), JFF, Meldy, Amandax, Westie, Sue Daffy (YES---our new marathon girl!), Podds (who is now officially an Iron Woman!) and XB. (I know I've forgotten a couple but the lounge is bursting with impressive athletes these days!). Tubs and Sluggie are still on the bench, with some ups and downs, but things seem to be looking up for both of them now. Amongst our cyclists Noggs is now seriously good, and is coming high in the rankings in his races. Yums is also spinning her wheels these days, as are Meldy and Podds. Pippi has had some hols, and Snaily has moved house and job and these days she DOES like to be beside the seaside  

Someone else can come and fill in the bits I forgot! 

No exciting trips here, just 12 hours of motorway to get back to NL tomorrow. We DID go to Oz to see Chuglet. 1 last summer, though, and it was just as fab as Yums said it would be ))

Now---we need to know all your gossip. Anything you want to talk about, we're interested, so don't hold back! xxxx

28/10/2012 at 19:26

Ooh, Larry's back, I'll have to read back a bit.

Anyroadup - The Exmoor Beast.

It certainly lives up to its name.  After a beautiful dry Saturday, Sunday was hammering down with cold rain.  It was a big event with 1600 starters.  Butlins Minehead would be a fabbo place to take your family - if you don't like them.  On the plus side, it does have mega facilities which is a real help.  I even used the ladies toilets as the mens were v. busy - how very continental.

The ride.  Well, I started feeling really ill, my pulse went off the scale on the first climb and my head wanted to explode.  The climb of Dunkery Beacon features in the early miles, it has cattle grids, 25% sections and is evil.  It rates 10/10 in the Britains Best Climbs book.

The early stages were extreme with wind driven rain trying too strip the skin off your face - I was averaging 14 kph.  In true waister style i stuck with it and after a couple of hours started feeling better.  I stopped briefly at the Lynmouth feed station then set about the Cat 2 climb out of the village, strangely, I really enjoyed that.  From then on I got stronger and stronger and was passing loads of riders, I ended up leading out a bunch of young bucks who generally pass me when the road goes up - they were minutes behind me at the end as i took the descents in a Kame Kazi mannner,

All in all, I think I can claim to be a proper bikie after that.  The course is as tough as they come - it took me the same time as the Chiltern but it's 10 miles shorter.  I'm so chuffed that despite my poor start I stuck with it and had faith in my training to finish stronger than I've ever managed before.

I'd love to do it on a good day as the area is quite spectacular.

The end.

28/10/2012 at 19:39

LOL Larry!!

Yey Noggin you is the man !!  

Blinkin well done

28/10/2012 at 20:04

Great stuff Noggy Waisters rock

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
28/10/2012 at 20:10

Yo Larry! Where's you bin????

Noggs wowzer! 

and well girly screamed M.eldy 

I decided to go out and do an LSR in the end, with the emphasis on the S of course , 10 wet and windy miles in the bank thankyou very much 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.