working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

212,381 to 212,400 of 233,008 messages
19/11/2012 at 21:29

Oh FarFar, thinking of you all very much. You all did everything you could for as long as he was with you and I'm sure he knew at every moment that he was loved. Be very gentle with yourselves, you will be more tired than you realise. 

((((((((((((((((((((((((FarFars))))))))))))))))))))

Oh Podds, how tough for that young lad, with his high after winning the XC so abruptly slammed into reverse by the news about his gran. On a happier note, I hope you managed to accompany Mr P to the surgeon. (Mr C is the same, any medical setting brings on total amnesia!) What did the surgeon think about the knee?

Sluggie, sounds like you were running around all morning so a quiet evening is in order. Erm, hope you don't have to keep MS company at 0330!!

Gosh, XB, a new regime? I thought your diet was already the gold standard---a perfect combination of scrummy and good for you! 

Ooooh, Yums, I'll have that hug if it's still going, please!!! 

Westie, a hurty back is standard issue after a house move. Rest day tomorrow for sure. 

Thanks, Nogs, another positive vote for Skyfall, guess that will be the Chuggs' Christmas outing then. Oh, and I would have thought it was self-evident that ANYTHING with a bottle of merlot sounds perfect 

Larry, you do sound busy! But nice busy, which is the best kind. How's Millie these days? I assume she has definitely given up her hopes of being a lap dog? 

Melds, I can well believe that route looked as beautiful as it sounds. Just the names bring on an attack of homesickness, so prolly just as well I can't see the view too

Spence, this sounds like a very long term project you have going on there. Any idea when it's going to be finished? 

Tubs, I guess family life has never been all that straightforward---but such a sad and complicated history makes it specially nice that you and Mr Tubs and your family are so happy together. 

I've been running around all day but got less than half done of what I need to do. It's going to be Christmas in five weeks---eek! And once C1 arrives (2 weeks from Friday) I won't have a moment to THINK let alone do anything. Double eek!!!!

But I'm going to toddle off to bed now anyway cos I'm tired )) xxxx

19/11/2012 at 21:41

Chuggs, my last two rides along the roads Melds and I described have been eye wateringly beautiful. Mist lying in the valleys with bright sunshine on the tops, then much the same but with frost everywhere.

There's little to match it on the planet (although it's important we keep looking)

M...eldy    pirate
19/11/2012 at 21:45

nighties from me as well

19/11/2012 at 22:04

oh noggs, that vino has made you all romantic

(((chug hug))))

Christmas?

*shudders*

19/11/2012 at 22:11

The wine hasn't kicked in yet Yums, the romanticism is within my soul. (although, I do hide it well)

19/11/2012 at 22:30
Chuggs, mr Spence is doing all himself so it'll take a while and I know better than to ask!!
19/11/2012 at 22:55

Evening All

Mr P rates seeing the surgeon as a success as he's confirmed he has a hurty knee and is fast tracking an MRI

I think it was a complete waste of time as he's simply provisionally diagnosed exactly what I (with no medical knowledge) diagnosed months ago and if Mr P had got his finger out at the time he could have been diced and sliced and on the road to recovery.....

Instead the holiday there was a slight chance I might get in Feb (first since Cmas 2009) is most likely out the window as Mr P departs for Siberia on Sunday for 2 weeks so t'will be a miracle if he gets the scan in before Chrimbo (even privately) and if he does need minor surgery (which seems likely) it would be Jan and therefore an active holiday (the type we do) is ruled out for Feb

Please excuse the self indulgence - especially in the light of the stress the farfars have been under recently and my young running club lad - but there are times when I get heartily sick and fed up of being the one keeping the home fires burning in the world's most boring place to live (for no appreciation whatsoever) while someone else gallivants all over the world doing what he pleases...............

And don't get me started on all the time he spends at home whilst doing sod all while I'm still at work

oh dear - that came out a bit more ranty than I was expecting  Guess it's what you get for trying to keep a lid on it at home - thank dog for the WAISTer lounge..........

Anyway thank you all for listening - I'm off to bed now (prolly the safest place to stick my head is under the duvet!!) - promise to be more positive tomorrow and thanks for asking about the bliddy knee

20/11/2012 at 07:24

Morning

Oh dear Podds! Not sure what the answer is there!! A week away with a mate !? That's what I'd do

Raining, dark and miserable here, I HATE this time of year

20/11/2012 at 07:32

Sorry I meant to send more hugs to the {{{{{{{{ Far Fars }}}}}}}

XB
20/11/2012 at 08:02

Crikey, Podds. I like Spence's suggestion. Just do something for you and leave him to keep house.

Recipe

Blitz a carrot and an onion. Fry them up. Mix in a tin/pouch of lentils and cook according to instructions.
Blitz a bag of spinach and mix in.

Serve with chicken/sossijs/falafel anything you want really.

The aim for me is to cut out pasta/bread/spuds/rice and sugary shite. Tricky. But I'll give it a bash.

20/11/2012 at 08:22

Morning each,

Dark, wet and mis here too, looks like it could be in for the day.  Today i will be mostly doing yesterdays stuff.

Oh dear Podds, How about renewing your association with the slopes over the hols?  Skiing is prolly the best holiday for a single.

Good luck with the new regime XB.

I'm off to put a pot of coffee up on an intravenous drip.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
20/11/2012 at 08:26

morning

I'm sitting here trying to get up the hwyl to get to work!

((((Farfars)))), never an easy time, but it sounds as if it was the right time!

Love the sound of that XB, I have chicken for tea this evening, I may give that a go. Just for me though I can't see HWMBT going for that, he can have roast pots.

Better get my 'arris in gear!

20/11/2012 at 08:47

Morning. Here for once it is NOT grey and misty (tho it will probably get that way later. that's autumn in the flatlands). Actually some early sun lighting up the trees

XB, that lentil and spinach dish sounds yum! Are you allowed any other grains, like quinoa or barley or maize? They would widen the possibilities. 

Morning, Sue, hope it turns out to be a good day at work

(Snabbles Yummy's hug) Mucho appreciated ))))

Ah, Spence, I understand. A man project. Say no more)

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((FarFars))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Podds)))))))))))))))))))))

Rant away, you're safe in here. And XB and Nogs are right, you certainly shouldn't lose your much-needed holiday! Is there somewhere that you could be active during the day (skiing, walking, snorkeling----Mr P can read a book!) and enjoy the evenings together? Or go away yourself with a friend and let Mr P keep the homefires burning for a change? You are deffo entitled to a good break, and some consideration!

Awww, Melds and Nobs between them have given me a bad case of homesick. Don't feel that way often but last night I actually dreamed about the green hills of England ;-/

I'm sat here trying to decide whether to panic or grump. I don't see how I'm going to get everything done! C1 arrives two weeks from Friday, and while I can't wait to see her, once she's here there will be NO TIME for anything else so all of Christmas needs to be ready by then! So best get to it, all Christmas cakes must be iced and out the door by this Friday... xxx

20/11/2012 at 08:48

Oh BTW, this cheered me up no end: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20323753

I think they are wonderful, hope we can save them!!!!

20/11/2012 at 09:16

Morning

Wot no carbs XB? Why? You being a finely honed afferlete and all that...........

Veg, protein and fibre are all very well and good (particularly for loo roll manufacturers!!!) but most recommendations are for any "diet / healthy food lifestyle" to be around 60% carbs, 25% fats and 15% protein

Are you experimenting?

XB
20/11/2012 at 09:49

I am experimenting. Partly because I am not a finely honed afferlete; I'm increasing in size, and partly because that's what I like doing. I'll see how it goes until something else comes along.

I'm not neglecting the carbs just not getting them from the usual wheat based sources.

20/11/2012 at 10:51

*goes off to buy shares in all loo roll manufacturers*

And you most certainly are a finely honed afferlete

With regard to spreading waistlines etc it's true that middle aged spread is a genuine phenomenon due to slowing metabolism but I prefer Garfield's explanation:

"We all get heavier as we get older because there's a lot more information in our heads. So I'm not fat, I'm just really intelligent and my head couldn't hold any more so it started filling up the rest of me!"

On that basis - skinny really doesn't seem so appealing does it? 

20/11/2012 at 12:49

XB, I'd gladly employe you to be the chef at Chez Spence

XB
20/11/2012 at 14:05

Today's recipe (I'm never going to remember to do this every day) is Beorijch, an Armenian dish.

Fry a large chopped onion add 1 clove of garlic, a tin of chopped toms and tom puree. Cook to a thick puree (10 mins).

Add 4oz of chopped mixed nuts, chopped parsley and 8oz of black eyed beans. Cook for 10 mins.

Serve with gren veg and mashed potatoes. I will have extra veg and no spuds.

20/11/2012 at 14:19
Afternoon. Aaaagh. Men. Teenagers. Hospitals
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.