working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

212,441 to 212,460 of 233,725 messages
21/11/2012 at 14:06

And too many books Noggs - you're limited to 3!!

Sorry chaps I would appear I have stolen the sun for today so much so that I might dob off early and take the dogs for a longer walk - I'm owed a load of time

21/11/2012 at 15:02

Podds, come on, I'm surprised I've read more than three books. 

Like you, the favourites do tend to come and go and I could have mentioned loads more.

I edited a few posts back to remove a glaring error, I'm not usually that fussy.

21/11/2012 at 15:11

Just too many, or should I say to many to mention Ms Pedant!

DL wrote (see)

allow the pedants amongst you a moment of smug superiroty

21/11/2012 at 15:20

My books at the moment (all but one keep changing)

1) Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance. An epic book. My favourite of all time.

2) Peter Schaffer - Equus. Was at a time in my life where 'identity' was a central theme - the last scene is a clincher for me

3) Could be of the moment books - Marilyn French - The Women's Room, Marge Piercy - Gone To Soldiers, Franz Kafka - Metomorphosis, Armistead Maupin - Tales of The City, Radclyffe Hall - The Well of Loneliness, Wally Lamb - She's Come Undone, 

I could go on.....

and on

21/11/2012 at 15:59

and on, I'd imagine

I always notice shoddy grammar, but in an environment like this it doesn't phase me in the slightest, never feel the need to point it out, and I'll frequently leave my own typos on view for all to see.

Woe betide anyone who makes a mess in a bit of professional writing though

Rain rain rain here, and I'm bored and it's grey and I'm on my own and even tea isn't cheering me up! Busy revising a journal article - quite scary and feels a bit like writing the PhD all over again which I suspect is the cause of my foul temper

I don't do religion at all, but oddly will be off to the cathedral this evening as it's alcohol awareness week (apparently) and there's a service in memory of those who are suffering or have been lost to alcoholism. I know a few others who are going from Al Anon, and since I didn't make it to the funeral of poor old ex-Mr Daffs, I'm feeling the need to mark his passing in some way. Not sure this'll do the trick - we'll see.

21/11/2012 at 17:48
Dr Daffs wrote (see)

I always notice shoddy grammar, but in an environment like this it doesn't phase me in the slightest, never feel the need to point it out, and I'll frequently leave my own typos on view for all to see.

Woe betide anyone who makes a mess in a bit of professional writing though

21/11/2012 at 17:52

Sorry, couldn't post underneath

But that sounds like the right way round Daffs

Hope this evening goes well.

I don't really do reglion either although I have two very close friends who do and they not only talk the talk but they walk the walk...priceless

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
21/11/2012 at 18:47

evening

(((lost voles)))

((((pedants))))

Books, like others, my favourites change with time and mood. However, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is up top and is revisited regularly

I "read" Jeanette Winterson's 'Why be Happy When you could be Normal' which was piognant, funny and very thought provoking.

I loved the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. I did get somewhat irritated by the shallowness of the character at first, then saw past it to the funny (but somewhat hidden) moral messages.

Currently I'm reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - now that's worth a read.

Talking of Praying, what a shambles. I grew up and became very involved in Church stuff, but resigned for various reasons. The CofE has signed it's own death sentence methinks.

Now, like Nogs, I see myself as spiritual rather than religous. I've read around and investigated various religous doctrine, I feel that the monotheistic organisations have developed into political power struggle sectors that employ a paternalistic approach that treat the masses as if they still cannot read or think for themselves.

Blimey, that was a high horse to climb down from!

Currently I'm following the Dalai Lama and his quest for secular peace in the world, now wouldn't that be nice?

M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 18:52

I follow the Daily Llama too  

As for the Church, I think they have it right, I mean .... ladies, would you be seen in a frock like that every day ??  
They missed a very big trick there I reckon

DL .. I have played that vole game on many occaisions believe me

I have swum again and done another 1 1/2 hrs in the gym

Back to work tomorrow ...  

21/11/2012 at 18:57

Lord of the Rings features high on the 'best reads' lists and I think won the BBC Big Read thing a few years back - couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I read Why Be Normal When You could be Happy closley followed by Red Dust Riad by Jackie Kay - similar themes, very different feel - both very good.

In real life I can spell and use proper grammar - here, for some reason, the submit button is my enemy

21/11/2012 at 18:59

Sorry M.eldy - didn't see you there - stop putting me to shame with your magnificent exercise regime and ability to stick to the plan

Tomorrow I shall be going to Bletchley - will I be under your protection?

21/11/2012 at 19:06
I've just started Born To Run, my SS from last year
M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 19:07

Bletchley ... you will be in spitting distance  

21/11/2012 at 19:19

Bletchley? do you have to kill us now you've said that?

Favourite books ...

Possession by AS Byatt

Wild Swans by Jung Chang - as a thought provoking one, but I wouldn't want to re-read it, as it was traumatic!

21/11/2012 at 19:54
Yep I've read that too and quite agree. I much prefer non fiction.
21/11/2012 at 20:03

Disappointed to get in the car yesterday and realise I didn't have one of those triangle things. Have to rely on the tried and trusted method of 'just knowing'!

I'm having to listen to music as my head is full of "clip, clop, clippety clop!"

M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 20:14

Mine is most mornings Pippi .. then I realise I have Murph with me 

21/11/2012 at 20:17

HL reads a lot of modern fiction and enjoys it.  I read cycling and hort. mags. What a dull boy.

Bletchley DL?, you could make Nog Towers for your tea.  Shall I inform security?

M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 20:20

To keep her in or out?  

M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 21:16

Well it would appear you ahve all gone to a party ... I shall go to bed!!

Training day tomorrow so its death by boredom for me

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.