working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

212,481 to 212,500 of 229,673 messages
22/11/2012 at 13:40

Now these are from my probably all time faves series - still go back and read them sometimes..................

22/11/2012 at 13:42

22/11/2012 at 13:43

http://www.stellabooks.com/images/articles/Chalet_School/exile2.jpg

22/11/2012 at 15:00
Been meaning to post this for days----it's just nice!

http://www.dailydawdle.com/2012/11/heartwarming-old-lady-misa-and-her-cat.html
Nog
22/11/2012 at 16:17

Are we still on books?

How about this?

22/11/2012 at 16:53

Afternoon,

Belated 'Happy Birthday' wishes to Westie.

Chuggy, I love those photo's of the old woman and the cat. I am practising to be her .

Noggy, I am sooo glad to hear that the knee has settled down.

Daffs, I am glad that the service did its job and helped you to say 'farewell' to the ex.

Tubs, I loved the vole story! You really do write so well.

Bricki, it is nice to see you around again.

Hhhhmmm, books... I am ashamed to say that I don't read much these days, I spend faaar too much time on the pooter. The one book that had te biggest impact on me was 'On the Beach' by Nevil Shute. I think it should be compulsary reading for anyone who has their finger on the nuclear button.

As far God (god, whatever). I was brought up active C of E and spent my teen years in an evangelical pentecostal church. I then spent 3 decades gradually rejecting most of my former beliefs - until I encountered OA and am now gradually reforming my concept of a Higher Power. I do agree that the C of E really isn't doing anything to make itself relevant to the 21st century but I still love the old cathedrals and churches, they seem to act a bit like storage heaters for the soul - they have absorbed centuries worth of peace and serenity and gradually release that back into the atmosphere for us to experience.

MS and I are off to hear the band of the Royal Marines in concert this evening. I am very much looking forward to it, am expecting to hear some Christmas music, marches, big band numbers and drumming .

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 19:02

Blimey what a lot going on today!!!

I loved the two voles trying desperately to think up ways to get indoors in the warm only to be thwarted by DL 

Happy Birthday Westie, sneaky indeed!!

Its well blowy up here at the moment, should keep Noggs busy in the morning!

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 19:07

Books .. needs some thought

1. Def would be Jane Eyre, its one I have revisited many times and love the story and have my old school copy even now (should be read at least once a year IMO)

2 . Touching the Void - First book I think that I really could not put down, the sign of a good story teller regardless of opinion on the subject

3. I think will be Great Expectations for similar reasons to no 1.   But as a disclaimer I really loved the Harry Potter books too, such a vivid imagination !!!

I dont read much nowadays that aren't reference or non fiction but if I had to choose books for a Desert Island it would be those and 'How to make a Raft from Sea Shells'

Nog
22/11/2012 at 19:53

Slugs, I'd completely forgotten Nevile Shute.  I can't think of the title, but I'm sure that it was one of his books that gave me the itch to explore the South Pacific.  I've done bits but there's a lot of scratching to be done.

Melds, I'd excluded the classics as many are a given.

Nog
22/11/2012 at 20:00

I think it was 'Trustee from the toolroom' .  I would have read it when I was 10 or 11, it helped realise there was a big world out there. 

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 20:06

I spose I only really read the classics Noggs so they still figure? 

Just chatted to my Pa who lives not far from Exeter, they live on 'Watery Lane'  and it is named for a reason!!     Wife of Pa has had to cancel a trip to London due to train disruption and he hasnt played golf in a week 

Nog
22/11/2012 at 21:06

I've got the chainsaw fettled, just waiting for the call to clear Oxfordshires highways if the trees come down.

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 21:08

Never mind Oxfordshire ... just clear the 418 for me 

Nighties from me

Nog
22/11/2012 at 21:13

I'm on it Melds, I'll cleave a path through it for you.

22/11/2012 at 22:13
Was it Neville Shute who wrote Empire of the Sun?

Oskar is literally bouncing! You'd never know he'd been to the vets. He's been microchipped too, thought it would be easier for him while he was out. Blues behaviour pre op was fun. He nearly jumped out of his pen and then howled continually. He is terribly traumatised by his prison days :0( Post op he's doing well, a bit woozy and cold when we got him home so covered him with blankets after he'd eaten a bit of chicken. He's asleep in front of the fire now having scoffed his tea. Oskar already weighs 7 kg! Needless to say he's stuffed his face repeatedly since he bounced home!

It's poured down all day. Popped the horses out for a bit while I mucked out etc this evening, left the field gate open so that they could mooch round the yard if they preferred - Fling doesn't do puddles :0) Megs kept trying to sneak back in to raid the feed bins. It's very hard for a 15.2hh large welsh cob to tiptoe through gravel, but bless her, she really tried!

(((Waisters))))
M...eldy    pirate
23/11/2012 at 08:00

Morning all

Glad they have survived the procedures Tubbs!  At least Mr Tubbs will know now he has nothing to worry about in terms of recovery

Last nights rain has brought a few more leaky holes in the ceiling and I am running out of pots to catch the drops and the constant drip drip drip kept me awake !!

23/11/2012 at 08:06

Morning

23/11/2012 at 08:38
Stumbles in

Out with Blue after midnight for a walk as he was a bit unsettled. Mr Tubs absconded to the spare room and I spent the night with a snoring Blue and a purring Oskar. Both fine this morning. I look rough! Need sleep!

Leaves huge pot of industrial strength coffee on waister coffee table

(((Waisters))))
Nog
23/11/2012 at 08:42

Morning each.

Coffee has been drunk.  I'm off to fave customers to work on her flood defences, so today I'll be faffing about with pumps (not the footwear type) inventing filters and getting very wet and dirty.

Melds, the leaky roof sounds a bit grim.

No panic calls yet so I'm guessing there are no trees down in my tiny fiefdom.

Happy Friday each.

23/11/2012 at 09:02

Morning

We are not flooded (luckily we bought a house on top of a hill!) but our off roads are a flippin nightmare.  Last night it rained so much, from walking to my car to the house I could ring out my dress.  Never mind no damage here, but I feel sorry for those who's homes and businesses have been damanged.

I've not been in because: 1 - I have been a complete slob and 2 - I've had a stupid head cold which I think I've now finally passed on to someone else! 

Are we talking books?  I'm a "cheap read" and havent really read many classics. My fave book is "thousand splendid suns" it made me angry, scared, and cry and another recent one from R&J book club "Me Before You".  Sounds soppy but it isnt, that also made me laugh and cry.  Also loved Harry Potters and the Twilight books.  TBH I'm struggling to find a good book at the mo, will have a read back at suggestions

In a bit of a panic about christmas, every weekend is booked up with DIY, and I have to get the shopping done by 14th Dec.    Internet shopping may be my saviour!

Right better get cracking

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.