working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

212,901 to 212,920 of 235,723 messages
06/12/2012 at 10:24

LOL Podds. Makes you wonder how those parents think humanity has survived this long!!

HUUUUUGE relief here!!! Tax due is within the amount we had planned on.  Mr C and I both have a tendency to hit the panic button with these things and expect ridiculous catastrophes, so we were already trying to calculate which of the Chuglets would fetch the most on the open market....but it looks as if we will be able to keep all three of them for Christmas after all 

06/12/2012 at 10:36

Chuggs, you are obviously a large corporation or very wealthy.  Here in the UK that seemingly takes you away from the need to pay tax.

Although, in the interests of balance, it's often ignored that the top 1% of earners account for 25% of the tax take.

That's enougn of that.  There's snow in Europe so politics can wait until the spring.

Podds, you make an intersting point about the little darlings not being able to walk where there may be ice.  I've seen or read somewhere  that children of the middle classes are increasingly having nervous breakdowns as their parents have created a 'risk averse cocoon' for them to live in.  they never experience danger or failure in their formative years so when 'life' hits them they can't cope.

That was social comment, not politics.

Espresso anyone?

06/12/2012 at 10:50

Couldn't agree more Noggs

I'm frequently in trouble at school for expressing the opinion that all the mollycoddling we give some of these kids is actually doing them a disservice as they will have to stand on their own two feet in the real world and we are not equipping them for that....

I'll have a coffee thanks - bit tired this morning - suprising really as I've done nothing much!!

06/12/2012 at 10:59

I'm trying to change my forum name to something a little festive but it seems to offend RW Towers.(only in that I keep getting error messages)

Podds (and anyone else) have a look at this.  It's the piste from the top of the mountain to Champoluc village.  Not the hardest run in the world, just a bit steep at the bottom.  Not me skiing either.  But it does show why I go skiing.

06/12/2012 at 13:05

Glorious cold but sunny day with lots of ice round the site....cue all the year 7 mummies phoning in about how their children have to walk on ice and it's sooooo dangerous.........because of course they couldn't possibly walk round the icy patches could they!?

(((WIN)))

You are joking!!??

Although sadly I know you're not!!

Pathetic!!

~~~~~~Sluggie's BF~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my builder has been on the job since 8am  he's putting back the arch he took out of the chimney breast 12 years go!!

My leg is really hurting  very frustrating cos of course I'd be out for a run as we speak if I could !!

XB
06/12/2012 at 13:43

It sounds to me like you need to get that leg sorted. Where and when does it hurt? Muscle or tendon?

I'm having a brew. That's just how close to the edge I roll.

2 miles for me this morning. I might chance 4 miles tomorrow.

06/12/2012 at 14:02

Oh Noggs.....that really reminds me why I love the mountains and skiing - makes me yearn for them 

Although I don't remember that run I'm sure I must have skiied all or part of it many years ago.........lovely run down and some nice technique on show too from the cameraman

Makes me want to ski downhill again but it's so many years since I downhilled and not since my knee surgery that I'd probably be absolutely useless now  

Mr P only does XC but in the past we've managed holidays with both thrown in so maybe we'll have to see..

*makes serious plans to smuggle herself into Noggs' luggage*

06/12/2012 at 14:03

Oh and as if ice wasn't enough we have toilets overflowing everywhere as I guess the pipes below are frozen.........why is this country so useless in the face of anything even approaching cold weather??????

06/12/2012 at 17:48

XB, I don't really know!! I think it's because I don't really  It's thigh area, kinda front

06/12/2012 at 18:02

Oh!?

How very odd, it seems to have deleted words of it's own accord!?

"I think it's because I don't really coughstretchcough" but I put arrows each side!?

06/12/2012 at 20:14

Ah yes Spence, you must have missed the 'RW now deletes everything in between triangular brackets' conversation a few weeks ago - pesky thing

Got all cold and wet today, so am now curled up on the sofa under 2 blankets with a hot water bottle and a mug of hot chocolate, and I suspect I shan't be moving for the rest of the evening

06/12/2012 at 20:34
Sounds good to me Daffs, tis very cold we've had the log burner AND the heating on !! *shocked face*
XB
06/12/2012 at 20:45

I've been keeping warm - the girls are out at a panto with Guides and there's nowt on the telly box.

Why do they call it "Young Apprentice"; don't cloud the issue, call it "Odious Little Pricks".

06/12/2012 at 21:11
Ooh that's a new name for it XB !!!
06/12/2012 at 21:15
And I can't bare to watch Young Apprentice, the adult version is hard enough going!

Your girls must be coming to the end of Guides aren't they ? Are they doing their Baden Powell badge?
M...eldy    pirate
06/12/2012 at 21:50

Blimey .. what a bizzy evening

Not come up for air yet 

06/12/2012 at 22:05

And i see the tail end of all the moddycoddling.  day in the job centre last week on a recruitment event, makes me wonder how some of these people are going to survive the world of work.  Some of the people who we recruit think we are doing them a favour employing them, not that we're actually paying them to come and do some work.

my boss had a shock today, we were discussing withdrawing offers of employment (poor refs and such like) she said "we dont get many anyway".  I said "i've withdrawn 3 this week!!!"     Might sound a little harsh, but I am very fair with people on the whole.

And dont get me started on the Tax situation!!!

~~~~~for friend of sluggy

Has spence "come out" then??? 

Think i will take a leaf out of Daffs book and have a hot choc under the duvet

06/12/2012 at 22:37

((((((((((((((Sluggie's BF)))))))))))))))

Sorry, missed your post this morning. Sounds like she's really having a bad time And the holidays can make it worse. I hope things start to look up a bit soon. 

(((((((((((((((Spence's whatever))))))))))))

Daffs, warm and dry is deffo the place to be. This weather really makes you enjoy having a home, doesn't it? 

Podds, you're so right. It's really unkind to give kids unrealistic ideas about the world and what it expects of them. And usually it's just because the parents are too immature themselves to be any good at drawing lines where necessary. 

Snaily, you were right to withdraw those offers. It's part of your job. What's the news on your mum and Snaunty? 

Nogs, if only I were so right I didn't have to pay tax!!!!!  We were waiting to hear how much tax was due on the sale of our family house (sold last Dec), just hoped it wouldn't be too much as we'd owned the house for 25 years. But when the accountant's email just said 'there's tax due' we both hit the panic button. Luckily it turned out to be about what we had guessed, so we can breathe again.BTW, loved the video! I've never skiied, so it was super to see how it looks to those who can do it!

XB, with 2 good miles today it sounds as if things are all going in the right direction now  Hope it was a good panto, I really miss that here. 

Oh dear, sorry you've been bizzy, Melds. Tiring for you and means lots of not nice things going on 

Vibes please for the safe arrival and collection of C1. She's en route from Hong Kong to Heathrow as we speak and should get to Amsterdam at 9.40 a.m. But the whole country is now on orange alert for heavy snow and high winds..... We can only wait and see how it looks in the morning.....but the poor girl will have travelled for 27 hours solid, so I REALLY hope she get in, and we can get there to pick her up!

M...eldy    pirate
06/12/2012 at 23:13

Nah ... mid year reviews Chuggs, nothing of any excitement

I did however see a good roll of a small hatchback in my rear view earlier today, went from my right wing mirror through my rear view and then my left wing mirror, glad I was in front and not directly behind that, all was well tho in the end

M...eldy    pirate
07/12/2012 at 01:21

Oh .. I did manage to frontline the GPO before I came in tonight, I wonder if he is still talking to me?!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.