working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

212,961 to 212,980 of 234,987 messages
08/12/2012 at 08:25
Not yet Spence, I'm still in bed! need to get a shift on though, flute core and cake this morning then maybe the last of the Christmas shopping
08/12/2012 at 09:21

morning - balmy here

(((snaunty))) that's just awful, Snaily. I don't understand medical stuff but  afetr everything else it seems so unfair for Snaunty to have more major problems.

(((DL))) Pass some of the work here and I will see what I can do to help.

((DG))) poor love. They give manuka honey to humans at the hozzie -or as my country bumpkin aunt calls it, Bazooka honey. And hounds are genrally so tolerant - bless DG and his little admirer

(((C1))) That's a heck of a journey and then to be tired and upset because of someone else's mistake is all a bit much. Air travel can be amazing - when it runs smoothly

Your thigh, Spence ? Anything I can do to help ? *warms hands*

((((Slug special friend))) Hope they all find some peace

(((noggs toof and back)))

As for the softy kids thing, I agree. I sent my two out when it was snowing only to receive a text from the school as I was leaving for work, saying the school  wasn't opening until 10.30 - traffic was barely moving. Phones are banned from school so I couldn't contact the lads. So I took the view the school could put them all in the hall and off I went to work. I did ask them what they did when I got home!  I think working parents take a differnt view to those that don't when it come to time off school

You sound as though you have a lovely weekend of nice things lined up, FP

I really dont understand the UK's inability/unwillingness to shut these tax loop holes. I find that the EU legislation I deal with is pretty tight - odd. Are they scared big companies will take their business elsewhere ?

I too have another bout of the snuffles courtesy of a colleague. Wouldn't mind so much but I am 'meeting' someone this arvo. First time in over 2 years I've ventured into that teritory and now I'm constantly blowing my dose and look like Rudolph - classy

08/12/2012 at 09:35

morning

I think thats it yums the UK is scared business will leave.  and I dont blame them for not paying taxes if i could get away with it I would!

I had working parents, I remember trying the old "I'm ill" card, which resultedin me being tipped otu of bed, covers mattress and all

I hope my works do tonight is as successful as those last night.  its a bit strange as i've only known these people a few months, I suspect I will be quite sober

Oh poor C1, glad she is feeling better after her sleep

Hope Meldy is getting some shut-eye too

Gawjus day here, have "town" stuff to do then more decorating.  Better get a move on

08/12/2012 at 09:37

oh and with Snaunty there is a claim going thorugh the hospital, let have a lot to answer for, I suspect it will take a couple of years before anything comes of it though, plus the 1st consultant has now left and is living in NZ

Anway I just want her to get better, but its a long way off.

Right I really am going now!

XB
08/12/2012 at 09:57

I can feel myself drawn onto the soapbox; I'm trying to resist but am failing.

Avoiding, and indeed evading, taxes is symptomatic of the level of selfishness that is endemic in society. The other major symptom is how we treat each other when we are coccooned in our cars. We might never agree on how the tax revenue is collected and spent, but we should all be willing to pay as much as is fair for the greater good. That includes the likes of the Beckhams, Paula Radcliffe, Philip Green and Starbucks.

08/12/2012 at 10:48

Morning,

Sounds as if peeps had an evening of fun and revelry that was much deserved.

XB, I'm with you. The whole point about living in a society is that we often have to do things that we don't want for the good of the rest. It is not as if paying taxes would leave these people/companies hard up! I also agree that the rules should be changed so that the loopholes are closed and there is no option but to pay what is due.

What a long and trying journey for C1, I am glad that she is now safely home.

Family get together at MIL's this evening, that works out well for us as we can take cards and pressies round with us. We will also pop and see (SB's) gf's auntie who lives near to MIL. Meanwhile, it is high time I got up! I had a lovely cuddle with Alfie - he lay on his back along my chest with his head on my shoulder- and didn't want to disturb the moment, but he is now lying on the bed so I don't have anymore excuses .

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

08/12/2012 at 13:08

Bloody hell, tried to quote Yums and my words kept jumping in her box!!

But just to say I had the same view re sickness when I wasn't working as I do now, I mean I didn't want the little bu%%ers home with me

Well if you're meeting someone Yums I guess that's my thigh rub off the agenda !!

Yep agree with you XB, things went t*ts up here IMO when we stopped caring for each other self, self, self..... makes me mad !!

The state of the house is starting to get a little on my t*ts!!  I'm not house proud by any stretch of the imagination but the amount of dust & carp about is horrendous! But a word about it I can not say as it was my idea to plough on with the log burner in the back room!  I'm trying to sort through loads of books on the dining table and need to find somewhere for them to live until I buy a bookcase!

and how ironic the book  "How clean is your house", is going off to the charity shop covered in dust*!!

*It's not I've wiped it but you know what I mean!!

08/12/2012 at 14:13

Spence - you and me both about the state of the house (I mean mine, I dont know what yours is like!) Mr P hoovers reasonably often (doesn't dust though ...) and I don't often do much, I confess! But we are all hoarders. I've spent the morning getting ready to bake by cleaning the oven, chucking out bottles with 1/2 inch of squash or flat lemonade in (and some with historic sell by dates ...)

And I've been to the shops, closed down a number of accounts with the carp bank that we are leaving in disgust (clue - a town in Northern Spain that you can sail to from Plymouth! ), come home and baked a cake. Starting on the Chrimbo cake now (I do a lighter one with sultanas and ginger and other odd dried fruit that doesn't need to mature)

Re;kids being kept off. Dont' keep them off if they aren't ill, and don't bring them and tell them I'll ring home if they don't feel well (I will, but don't tell the kids or of course they won't feel well!). And don't send them to school saying they were sick all night but they wanted to come to school! Sorry but grrrrrr!

08/12/2012 at 15:01

Soaking in brandy ...

BTW I meant to say that a present arrived from Santa earlier this week, so if s/he is sitting in a grotto wondering if it got here, wonder no more!

08/12/2012 at 15:12

Oh yes Pippi the times I've looked at a green child and asked if they are ok and they say they have been sick all night !! 

Thankfully I don't have sickly kids !!

The boy and I are off to see daught in her end of term 'Fame' thing, the boy is most impressed...not!!

M...eldy    pirate
08/12/2012 at 18:02

Me and the GPO had a lovely sleep thankyou!

I had to wander up to the village to get some catfood else I dont think I would have been let in the door in the morning

I have a few things that I need to do this week and some things that I need to do tonight (work is good for something) such as write my christmas cards for posting

I only need to make a veggie option for the weekend and a Dundee cake and a few puddings but all of a sudden I dont have a lot of time left

08/12/2012 at 18:48

Evenin' all.

Well, GD has sung, danced, acted and generally pulled her tripe out all day.  I've delivered her home to her mum.  She's got dress rehearsals tomorrow then evening rehearsals all week after school.  I tried to convey the details to space cadet mum but I'm not sure she was switched on.

GD's parents haven't even got tickets to see their talented daughter perform next week.

It's wine o'clock now.  Where's that corkscrew?

08/12/2012 at 19:52

Oh Noggs, that's dreadful

we have seen daught perform!! Her friend stepped into the lead at 2 hours notice and pulled it off, I had to wipe away a tear !

XB
08/12/2012 at 19:55

That is dreadfully sad, Noggs. Thank the lord for you and HL.

08/12/2012 at 19:56

Well Noggs all I can say is it is a bloody good job she has you!

08/12/2012 at 20:25

GD has often said 'Why is it only you and grandma come to see me'?

The tragedy is that she is talented and would flourish with encouragement.  I even looked at putting her into HL's old school, sadly, the fees are more than I earn in a year these days. ( £30,000 to get her through the door)

I'm struggling not to get angry and upset and you guys are great for listening.

08/12/2012 at 20:34

You have every right to be angry and upset Noggs but I can assure you (from bitter experience with some of the kids at my school) that your love and support will be the difference for her - and despite the hurt at her parents' behaviour what she gets from you and HL is inestimably more valuable and although she wouldn't be able to put it into words she knows it deep inside........

.........on a more mundane note I have swimbled

Very difficult with broken car as broke pal has stopped swimming as she has no money and won't let me pay for her.........however to cut a long story short the car and some manipulation via the bloke I went to the running club do with last night (who is also an old friend of hers) meant she was far more cheerful this morning and I got her out and swimming this evening without her having to spend a penny

08/12/2012 at 21:55

Ta Podds, we've had many people tell us not to give up on the kids,  and that we could make a difference.

We,ve had almost as many family members telling us we're being taken for mugs.

We don't see it like that as we volunteer our time and money. ( I really enjoy her company and we get on very well)

That's enough of my trials.  we have FIL arriving tomorrow, we're taking him to The Randolph for afternoon tea on Monday as a treat for his birthday in a weeks time.

08/12/2012 at 22:18
It's criminal Nogs but thank goodness for you and HRH
09/12/2012 at 06:07

Morning All

Why on earth does 6am exist on a Sunday?

Noggs - even if the parents are taking you for mugs your GD just sees fantastic grandparents and in the end hers is the only relevant opinion

Right - time to saddle up the muppets, bandage up the DG paw and then out for a short walk

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.