working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,121 to 214,140 of 234,998 messages
10/01/2013 at 18:07

What a nightmare day, and it always happens when I'm off the next bloody day.

Podds - we are opening one of those Studio Schools where pupils work 9-5, follow the usual school teaching plans, but then have a work placements from the age of 14.  They also have to stay until 5pm which includes homework time and extra activities.  The priciples of the school are quite exciting, they get GCSE education plus work experience and can go onto 6th form and BTECs etc.  I hope it does what its designed to do, because then we would be having people leaving school who know what "work life" is all about too.

I cant remember much else, apart from DL is on a train again, Spence is enrolling DL for a marafun and Daffs is busy working a 4 day week.  Normality resumes

Today I have spent the whole day working out a new 7 day rota, with a whole raft of issues to resolve with it.  Finally done, and one of the team comes to see me to hand in their resignation.   But think its sorted now

Border peeps are checking illegals, we're ok actually its just our "systems" need updating.  But you know what its like, you go through everything with a fine toothcome just to be sure there is no nasty surprises.

Am going home because my brain is mush, Stoke this weekend so wont be in much.  Play nice

10/01/2013 at 18:16

I'm feeling a bit  and not sure whether to say anything or keep  

I think I mentioned a while back the boy saying he wanted to move English sets because the teacher can't control the class & he's finding the mucking about annoying, well he came home today saying for  the last 20 minutes of the lesson they played heads down, thumbs up!!??

Now I can quite understand a 'filler' in infants, although at our school any 'spare' time would be filled with a story or 'circle time' and perhaps at a push at juniors...but at seniors when they are just back from a holiday!!?? 

M...eldy    pirate
10/01/2013 at 18:51
Evening gang

The day has run away with me so a quick pop in to say I'm off out for my tea and I'm back tomorrow ????????
10/01/2013 at 19:55

Perhpas they were learning the imperative, Spence?

10/01/2013 at 20:36
Learning the whatative!!!?
10/01/2013 at 20:40

"Bossy Verbs"!

10/01/2013 at 20:54
Oh right!!
10/01/2013 at 21:03
Restoration Man!
10/01/2013 at 22:02

A long and lovely day for me! Went to work pretty much planning to hand in my notice this morning Then had performance review which was SO lovely and full of exciting things that I'm plotting how I can stay there FOREVER 

Eating rice pudding now

Chuggs - 4 day week is indeed well planned - 4 days until October now (when my job runs out, but we'll worry about that nearer the time). Tomorrow I shall be meeting some people for tea, and doing some painting, and buying some fake moustaches for our not-christmas party next week

Oh, and maybe a run or summat

10/01/2013 at 22:34

Daffs - I really don't know how you can be so laissez faire re jobs........if I didn't know where the next month's money was coming from to pay the mortgage and the bills I'd go nuts worrying about making the dogs homeless......oh and me and Mr P too !!

11/01/2013 at 01:42
October's a long way off podds, and shortish term contracts are the norm in what i do at first. I've had three where i am now in less than three years, if it carries on they'll have to make me permanent anyway!

But also, i''ve never really worried about jobs. I've lived on very little money in the past and could do it again. I'm willing to do pretty much anything temporarily if i lost my job, and have often had several zero hour contracts at a time and done odd bits of office or factory or note taking work. I've only earned 'proper money' for two years and made damn sure i didn't start spending up to my income bcause i didn't want to find myself panicking and taking something i didn't like cos i was worried about money.

My outgoings aren't high and could easily be lower. We have one old car (owned outright). No pets or kids. No credit cards. No gym membership, sky tv, foreign holidays, very rarely eat out, never get takeaways. I'm 'lucky' that mr daffs is almost twenty years older than me and had the forsight to take out mortgage based on only one wage (rather than the two they had at the time) so mortgage is small and nearly paid off. (i say 'lucky' but suspect it'll come back to bite me when he dies several decades earlier!). I'd be renting in a shared house if i didn't know him - like i was, quite happily, when we met. Never had aspirations of home ownership!

All our clothes come from charity shops (through choice!), if something breaks we usually figure out how to fix it rather than getting someone in, if it dies we replace second hand or not at all. There's no such thing as 'new carpet' in this house! I've just been painting the bedroom for the first time in 23 years with some paint we dug out of the cellar...

Not necessarily a life many folk would want, i realise! But i reckon i'm happy, spend when i need to and certainly don't feel i'm missing out. And not being tied to, well, anything much, certainly makes it easier to not worry about jobs.

To be honest, i quite like temporary contracts for now, i'm far more afraid of feelibg stuck doing something i hate and feeling unable to leave because of money!

11/01/2013 at 01:56
Oops, got me started on a pet subject there in a slightly sleepy mood and clearly couldn't shut up... Sorry!

I'd worry too if it was next month, but a few months away i certainly don't fret about, and try to stash some when i can so at least two or three frugal months without work could be handled, just in case. Only been in a position to do that in the last couple of years though.

Enough waffling for tonight from me!!
11/01/2013 at 02:02
Oh, and a very happy birthday to the mouldy one!!
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
11/01/2013 at 05:32

morning

I postes last night, but RW chewed it up and spat it out it seems 

Daffs, I love your philosophy on life, like Podds, I worry if I haven't enough to pay the bills and need to have what I feel is a safety net in the bank! Having said that, we have also lived on very little money, only just enough to get by on, but we are still here and none the worse for it!

Happy Birthday Meldy 

11/01/2013 at 06:52
Happy birthday Meldy . It's also oh birthday today. No big plans tho.

Ran last night , still few little niggles. Achilles is a new one- what do I do with that ?
Just going to peer out if window and hope there's no white stuff on the ground
XB
11/01/2013 at 07:29

Morning

*Puts on party hat*

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOULDY

*Goes to put on clothes*

What a wonderful attitude to life, Daffs. Perfect proof that owning "things" isn't the only route to happiness.

11/01/2013 at 07:38

My eyes ! My eyes!!!

Morning

Happy Birthday Meldy Mouldy!!

*Strips off and puts on XB's party hat!!*

Love it Daffs I was like that when I was young, free and single and only wanted to travel....but now it's children & kids!!

11/01/2013 at 08:38
Tee hee at xb in just a party hat

Well run amanda, no idea about niggles i'm afraid!

Goodness i don't half waffle on! Should probably add that i'm certainly not ignoring the job situation! Work knows i want to stay, and will find me something if they can. I'm offon a grant writing course over several weeks soon and will be putting in my own application for research funding. If i don't hear about either of those by about june i'll look for a new job - but i refuse to panic about it and if i have to have a while off work til the right thing happens i will (and will enjoy it!). Despite how it may seem sometimes i take life planning very seriously (stop laughing!!) - very important to me to be doing work i love so happy to wait to hear for exciting things and be rather frugal in the meantime if necessary.

So it's not that i don't think about it, quite the contrary - maybe i think far too much!! I just won't be worrying any time soon. I do prefer it when there's spare in the bank in case the roof caves in - but that's why if i was on my own i'd be renting!
11/01/2013 at 08:46

children and kids, spence, blimey

Ah daffy the coroporate is still our beloved Daffy the bohemian - hoorah

Spence, sounds to me as though a chat with the school might either set your mind at rest or perhaps draw their attention to the fact boy isn't happy about what is happening during maths

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUR ROYAL M......ELDYNESS  will there be cake ?

Candied peel, chuggs  small bits in cakes are ok but how does C2 eat them?

a bossy verb, Pippi? Sounds as though I need to be in your class at school  - could you give me some examples?

Love the sound of the fevver game, sluggy. Do you and MS play it too

Podds, whilst I agree that every kiddywink matters and deserve the best conditions to enable them to achieve their potential in exams, as you say, are we actually doing them any favours by seeming to legitamise their foibles and making allowances for them. As my counsellor chum suggested to me everytime Cush barks and lunges at another dog, we cross the road to avoid them so as far as she is concerned, it works because she believes she has 'seen them off' Not sure I explained that very well but you know what I mean!

Work is ok but I find myself having to brief solicitors and counsel on on the finer points of EU law (which I know little about) prior to going to tribunal- thankfully my boss is very good! Today is badminton with an acquaintence who has resurfaced and then being touched up by Dean - I'm such a tart

*follows spence's example and strips off clothes but puts on dunce's hat*

XB
11/01/2013 at 09:43

Getting this off my chest

Mother in law's house around the corner is rented to a young couple and their 2 kids. I've got to go round today to investigate why a light that "was working" but "is not working now". Under cross examination from Mrs XB, it seems that they haven't tried replacing the bulb. FFS.

This is what happens if you molly coddle children.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.