working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,381 to 214,400 of 232,778 messages
M...eldy    pirate
17/01/2013 at 22:41

Podds thats why I like driving home at silly o'clock in the morning, rarely any other muppet about and especially when its snowed, I think I was the first car on the by-pass year before last and you could even see the carriageway definitiions .... me and the Renault had a whale of a time !

17/01/2013 at 23:22
Still raining here. I have wimped out of my walk :0(

(((( Meldy )))) hope you're feeling better

Dog, I've eaten more ruddy fruit than a fruit bat! Hope I'm not tempting fate but pain free for several hours :0)

Mr Tubs has bought me a big tub of Epsom salts :0/

Belated Happy Anniversary Chuggs :0) We're 33 in May. There don't seem to be " things" for advancing anniversaries other than the milestones. Ive quite a wait for a ruby!

Listening to the Shadow of the Wind on the iPad. Love that book :0)

Hope everyone's ok tomorrow and the snow isn't too bad

((((( waisters ))))
18/01/2013 at 03:46
Wide awake! Pah!
M...eldy    pirate
18/01/2013 at 04:52

Good ... can you come here and keep an eye on things while I go to sleep? 

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
18/01/2013 at 05:47

morning

weather forecast was right,, although it's not quite the 10 inches they said, it's still snowing. I've taken the sensible caution of cancelling my PT session and will wait to drive until it's light. I'm not sure how many people will get into work today, some people live in some remote areas. It wouldn't be a problem, but it's Friday, lots of people panic on a Friday and expect us to sort them out there and then!!!

The changes in the benefit system and the bedroom tax is putting a lot of stress on people and a lot of extra work on us!

M...eldy    pirate
18/01/2013 at 06:13

Nothing here yet which was as expected .. so I should get home before armageddon!
Mouse has some in Brizzle so its def working its way across 

18/01/2013 at 07:10

Morning,

Woke to several inches of the white stuff and still snowing. Have just cancelled my aquagym session,  the main road shold be fine but it's getting up the hill from home that is always the problem! MS has quite rightly, called me a wimp - but I think discretion is the better part of valour! It is suppsed to turn to rain this arvo, so I might leave theTesco run until then.

We had planned to meet a friend for lunch today and swap Christmas pressies. However she would be coming from Yeovil, which would not be a great idea, so we cancelled last night. Also, SB and gf were supposed to be coming down for the weekend to do Christmas stockings - for some reason, they prefer to give it a miss for now! Neither of these can be helped and we are lucky down here that we do not get the worst of the weather - but I do feel a bit  as I was looking forward to them.

MS has just gone out to see what conditions are like. If he can get around it could be lucrative, but I don't want him to take chances.

Likewise my WAISTer pals - please don't take any risks.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

18/01/2013 at 07:15
Morning

Happy birthday Pippette

(((((((((Lurgified and poorly WAISTers))))))))))

We have some snow but nothing to get overly vexed about. Think we are due more later.

We have however had two dumpings of cat puke this morning.

I did have an inward chuckle as I visited one of our drug reduction projects the other day and was reminded that mephedrone makes you smell of cat pi$$. I would like to state drugs are not always to blame - cats can have the same effect!

Hope you all stay safe today
18/01/2013 at 07:22

Morning each,

Come on snow.  I want to test out my lovely winter tyres.

Rooibosch is mashing.

18/01/2013 at 07:24

Morning

We've had some here but not enough

A parent has asked on the FB school page whether we're open!! Flippin' heck!

18/01/2013 at 07:27

Now, this is snow. 

18/01/2013 at 07:59
That's lovely Noggs :0) Is that where you went skiing?

((( sluggie )))) sorry the snow has stuffed up your lunch etc :0(

We still haven't got any here. Forecast for this afternoon.

Smoothie beckons. I've not had coffee for 7 days! Drinking Rooibos instead. I could murder a skinny Latte!
XB
18/01/2013 at 08:00

Huge disappointment here. No snow and none forecast.

Watching snippets of Armstrong on Oprah I realise I have no interest in what he has to say. I hope he turns his back on sport and puts his efforts and energy into doing something good for the world.

I'm trying to summon up some enthusiasm to go and do a 10 mile tempo run. I have competition from a well stocked burner and a good book. I will review the situation at 1000.

18/01/2013 at 08:39

Tubs, that's Scheffau in Austria, I'll be there in 4 and a bit weeks time.

The snow has just started here.  HL is off to spinning and I'm going into the cold garage to play with my turbo trainer.

Then, it's Tesco, where I'll either do a bit of shopping or some panic buying.

Lance?  I think he's trying to salvage some sort of life but not showing any contrition.  I want to despise him and, largely, I do (and all other drug cheats) But you can find almost as many arguments to defend his actions as prosecute them.

Almost.

18/01/2013 at 08:50

Morning All

DL wrote (see)
 and was reminded that mephedrone makes you smell of cat pi$$. I would like to state drugs are not always to blame - cats can have the same effect! 

LOL DL - we believe you 

I am terminally annoyed with all the snow talk already! Maybe it's from having had 7 proper winters when in Italy where digging the car out of 2 foot of snow before going to work in it was not unheard of or maybe it's the whole "is school closed" thing - not to take away from areas where there is a bit of snow especially because caution is always a wise watch word in any type of poor driving conditions and discretion is the better part of valour etc (here endeth the public service announcement)

I may also be annoyed as we've had snow all week like parts of Norfolk and noboby talked about us but now mainstream Britain is involved it's the main topic of conversation / news item etc!! 

Happy Fridays one and all

18/01/2013 at 08:59

morning

No snow here....yet - this arvo we're expecting though.

DAffy, how darn inconsiderate that someone should die and delay everyone;-) Bet someone complains ((Daffy)))

(((sluggy))) cancelling plans is the sensible thing to do  - jsut such  shame its when you had lots of lovely things to do - blimmin weather fairy.

Relieved you and Mr C have arrived safely and found that your fellow villagers are so thoughtful, Chuggs. Although I really think you were suffering when you had to drink red in stead of white wine

XB, I like both of your possible plans for today - why not do what you wouldn't ordanarily do - so book and burner perhaps?

Noggs, like Westie, your prodgeny have clearly inherited your sooper afferletic talents - bravo jnr, jnr Noggs. That holibob place looks hoobacious. Need a hand with your cases ?

((tubbs)))  I'm with chuggs, leave the milk out for sure!

Podds, I knew picking you, M..e.ldy and Noggs would be perfect for the Parole Board. No messing, no sweet talking and above all vigilance to avoid the possibility that the captives might try to spread their warped take on life to nice people. And when I were a lass, the school didn't close for any reason. I never check the schoo situation on the web - the boys do though!

Hope your coo is settling, Snaily

Sue, do take it easy - I have a bag of grit and a shovel if you need me

Today I am mainly slothing - badminton has become ping pong as the varmits from the boys school are in so no courts left but first I must shop for the anticipated ice age.

18/01/2013 at 09:25

Morning. I'm glad to see everyone checking in, cos it's hard to know how bad things really are. As several have noticed, the Beeb becomes hysterical if there are more than 2 flakes of snow. 

Sue, sounds like a difficult situation: people who really need you, but dangerous travel. Be sensible---know you will. 

Sluggie, you are NOT a wimp. In most places the main roads will be passable, but most of us don't live on main roads and it's the distance between home and clear roads that's the problem. I think you're smart! (And my fellow villagers agree---people here staying off the roads for one more day.)

Yummy, you are a devil----but an inspired devil! "Podds, I knew picking you, M..e.ldy and Noggs would be perfect for the Parole Board. No messing, no sweet talking and above all vigilance to avoid the possibility that the captives might try to spread their warped take on life to nice people." Now, THAT would improve the younger generation radically and pronto!  Bit annoying that you've been pushed off the badminton courts, but good luck with the shopping. You may not be alone in the shops, I feel....

Nogs, I was wondering what you thought of Lance. Mr C has said all along that he didn't believe in him: nobody can do the Tour 7 times, he said. But this wasn't just Lance, this was an entire system of deceit: do you know why? I can see it for the individual, who wants the title, but is there a lot of money in it for all the other people who were complicit? 

Melds, I can see it's good no other cars are on the road, but not being able to see the central divider must make driving exceptionally creative....! Glad you're home safe.

XB, sounds like one of those small choices that in total define life..... but Yumms is right, do what you'd like. 10 miles is good, but so is a book in this weather. We wait with interest....

(I am married to a madman. He has just put on his windcheater (he never wears a jacket) and heavy boots as if going out, but is making a cup of coffee. ????? Answer: he is going outside, in -3 and deep snow, to sit and drink his coffee...... Dawg, I hope his condition isn't contagious!!! 

Podds, no wonder you miss Italy at times like this! Didn't realise you'd been there for such a long time, though. If you don't mind my asking, what made you come back to the UK? 

Tubs, very good that you're pain-free! And there are worse things that eating a lot of fruit  so if that works, hooray! I love Shadow of the Wind too, really intriguing book. Reminded me a bit of Name of the Rose, not in plot (obviously) but in the idea about what books mean and who has access to them and that.

Leaden sky here, it snowed a little bit but it should get warmer and rain so hopefully tomorrow we can get off the hill. In the flatlands it's still VERY cold, another 5 inches of snow this weekend.....and everyone is praying it stays cold so we can have an Elfstedentocht!! We so nearly had one last year, it was called off at the very last minute, so hopes are high for this year. 

18/01/2013 at 09:54

Chuggs, I could probably write a paper on drugs in sport.

Put simply, I think they took performance enhancing drugs because they could.  Armstrong is probably right in saying that he took them to level the playing field.  He was simply better at it.

Cycling, more than most sports, has always had a very visible relationship with it's sponsors who are always hungry for the success in terms of worldwide media exposure. 

The organisers were always keen to anounce that this years tour average speeds were quicker than last years.

Link all that to governing bodies who really don't want to catch drug cheats because it upsets sponsors and you have a recipe to take the sport exactly where it ended up.

I don't think any sport wants to deal with its cheats, the blazer wearers in charge are happy with their six figure salaries, first class travel and 5 star hotels. Why would they tackle an issue?

I  won't believe that, with the money awash in in sport these days, there aren't athletes, footballers, rugby players, tennis players, skaters,  et al. taking drugs to enhance themselves.  There simply isn't the will to catch them and rock the boat.

I commend this statement to The House

18/01/2013 at 10:10
What you say sounds right to a complete outsider noggs. I see everyone's getting very excited about the tour coming to my very own county this year - can't decide if i'm remotely interested or not...

Finally on train home, weird everyone talking about snow, probably an inch or two on the fields but all roads here fine and trains onky delayed from scottish snow apoarently. Meant to be heading over wirral way tomorrow, not sure whether to bother cancelling - would usually leave it but my dad will be giving up an afternoon of much needed work to see me so want to avoid messing him round (goodness knows why, he's spent his entire life messing us round!)
18/01/2013 at 12:14

Glad to hear that WAISTers are generally OK and managing the weather. Mr C, however, is barking!!

Still snowing here, sometimes quite heavily. We don't usualy get much of the white stuff and don't cope with anything more than a heavy frost. Even so, I am not venturing to Tescos until conditions have improved, even if that means living on tins and packets over the weekend!

Alfie is a bit fed up as he really would like to go out to play, but he has settled on my lap and is making the most of the situation

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.