working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,441 to 214,460 of 234,986 messages
M...eldy    pirate
18/01/2013 at 21:26

Dont forget to wipe it off when she comes in !!

Right, time for bed again I reckon

Laters taters x

18/01/2013 at 21:35

Hmmm, but if you put Vaseline on a dog's paws won't it just make it even more slippery underfoot for them? Rossie slips sometimes on the ice as it is. 

Have to say that after hearing more about LA's interview, I'm with Spence. Podds said "There's a great graphic showing the top 10 finishers in each Tour with the ones who'd doped crossed out and most years you'd have to get down to about 7th or 8th to find a clean (to the best of our current knowledge) rider......" and that's really the point. It's that 7th or 8th rider who should have been declared the winner, but was cheated out of that by people who artificially boosted their performance. The competition is only interesting if it is between people who are performing as well as they can, unaided. Otherwise it's at least as much a test of drug cocktails as of athletes. And saying 'everybody does it' frankly cuts no ice with me at all. 

On a happier subject, Sue, hope your daughter gets home tomorrow and things proceed normally thereafter. When is the baby actually due? 

Nogs, LOVE the idea of you being able to sneer at the 4WD contingent. We have them in the flatlands too, and it's hilarious to see these big bombers, designed to climb mountains out in the country, threading their careful way through tiny streets in an urbanised and dead flat country!

That said, I kind of like the idea that 4WD owners will volunteer to help others in this kind of exceptional weather. It would indeed be best if all the roads could be cleared, but given the thousands of miles of small roads there are, that just can't happen instantly; and in the meantime, it's rather nice if folk will help out people who really need to get out and don't have safe transport. 

Raining here at last, so the snow is starting to melt. Hopefully we can get to the shops tomorrow. But this afternoon another neighbour rang and asked us to pop round for crepes with a few others from the village. It was very cheery and sociable, and luckily I had some of the jam I made last summer to take. The hostess (who is a chic mid-50 year old) was born in the house where she lives now: it was her parents' home, and her grandparents' home before that, and her daughters and grandchildren, who live in the village, are there all the time. Amazing to think that five generations have enjoyed that house. 

Think I'll toddle off to bed, all this dissipation is exhausting!  Sleep tight, all. xx

18/01/2013 at 22:13

Mr Spence has done a 'factory restore' on my netbook, blimey what a difference!

I'm off to read about having my gastric band fitted

18/01/2013 at 23:57
Mr Spence has texted, he's in charge of snow clearing across the entire hospital estate !!!

That's some snow to shift!!
I guess a change is as good as a rest!
19/01/2013 at 05:54
Morning

I've been wide awake for hours
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
19/01/2013 at 06:29

morning

me too 

19/01/2013 at 07:59
i haven't but awake far too early now got stupid nagging feeling that i really should visit family this week rather than next, however impractical. hope nobody's about to die or anything...

could get up and do parkrun i suppose??
19/01/2013 at 08:28

Morning each.

Spence, does Mr S want to borrow my leaf blower?

You may want to read my new book 'Nogs NoroDiet'?  Guaranteed weight loss in hours.

I see LA now wants to compete again.  Probably not his best idea.

We have a day off here.  GD's classes are cancelled but we hadn't heard from her parents who are back to playing silly bu88ers.

Another turbo session planned here, plus some strength and ski specific stuff.

No herb tea this morning, straight to the good stuff.

19/01/2013 at 08:57

I think he would Noggs!!  He's now in the land of nod! In the front door and snoring in less than 5 minutes!!

All daughts activities have been cancelled, am so pleased, wouldn't drive in it frightens me to death!

Snaily You asked about the foam roller...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/66Fit-Elite-Foam-Roller--Blue/dp/B002IKO2YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358585555&sr=8-1

I probably should have done some food shopping!!

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
19/01/2013 at 09:01

morning

I have to get out today to get some food in also. The shelves were empty of real milk by the time I got there yesterday, I had to have that longlife stuff instead, not that it really matters to me, I hardly touch the stuff!

Danielle has a condition called obstetric cholestasis, which is a liver type condition some women get in pregancy. There are some risks to her and the baby, so if she doesn't produce today they will induce her.

Fingers crossed and just waiting for news now. Some spare WAISTer vibes would be appreciated 

19/01/2013 at 09:11

((((((((((((((((((((((Sue, Danielle and family)))))))))))))))))))

Sounds like they are on the case and will make sure to intervene if necessary to ensure that everything goes well. Please keep us posted. 

Spence, thanks for the link to the foam roller---I've been thinking about one too. And how brave Mr S is to do that factory re-set, I'm terrified to try that sort of thing, what if I blow up the computer? (And don't tell me I can't: I've already set one monitor on fire and crashed several screens!) 

Good to hear you back to full force, Nogs. But while I too know the splendidly effective diet you refer to ('instant weight loss') not sure I'd recommend it for general use!  What a terrible shame about GD's parents, though. They ought to be so proud of her 

Daffs, hope your vague premonition is wrong.... they usually are, luckily 

Like Sue, we are going to try to get out and get some fresh food, after 3 days of living on supplies. Snow is melting quite fast here, but there was a lot of it and the ground was very cold so still a lot of snow and ice. Mr C is convinced we'll have no problem. He's driving.... If I don't return in a reasonable period, send out the AA, would you? 

19/01/2013 at 09:24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Danielle and dragon family~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SPence, you should have offered to help Mr Spence clearing the snow - great at burning calories and your hands would be too frozen to remove the wrapper on any choccies.

Go careful, M...eldy - FGO should be easy to find in the field - snow is white, poop isn't - of course if he hasn't been rolling around, you're stuffed

LOL at your snow clearing 'success', Noggs.

Sounds like a loevly place to live, Chuggy - how did you decide to settle there ? And lovely that the village has retained it's families for generations.

Aww, an arvo with the lovely houndies and scrumptious, xtick to your ribs, cold keping out food, Podds - cow Bless Ruby refusing to trot along - Cush doesn't bother in the evenings now if its dark - I get all dressed up and she doesn't budge.

I don't think LA should be allowed to compete again - afterall, he managed to evade drugs tests last time, so how would he ever prove he is clean. And avoiding the truth by answering a slightly different question is on a par with lying - mind you, Bill Clinton's 'I never had sexual relations with that woman'  was stretching it a bit

;-)

Daffy, if you've been advised not to go, perhaps you shouldn't - just arrange to go another time - then everybody ha something to look forward to

The end of the world hasn't happened - just a sneeze of snow but I'm feeling that I wont cycle to meditation (heeding Podds advice) so I'm just going to walk to see the butcher, baker etc and then potter sorting my scummy house out. Naturally tomorrow I have plans albeit local, so there will be a deluge overnight!

19/01/2013 at 09:37

(((((((((Dragon family))))))) - she's in the right place and under care Sue, especially important if travel is a little sticky in your area

I've had to abandon plan to go the gym (oh what a shame!!) as I am fixing my washing machine which has been failing to drain..........think it's sorted now so will de-ice the car and crawl over the ice out of the estate onto the main roads to go shopping - sod the fresh stuff I'm out of diet coke - way more important

(((((((Daffs))))))))

*waves to Yums and other WAISTers floating around*

19/01/2013 at 10:36

~~~~~~~~~~dragon family~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been and parkrunned Do I get extra points for going in the snow??Please???!

19/01/2013 at 11:14

You do indeed Daffs

I have done my seven miles  

It was actually lovely! Not as cold as Thursday!? My hands were toasty warm in only two pairs of gloves

Dot really enjoyed it  I managed to get Vaseline on 3 paws, I don't think I shall ever be allowed to do it again!!

19/01/2013 at 12:00

Yums wrote (see)

I don't think LA should be allowed to compete again - afterall, he managed to evade drugs tests last time, so how would he ever prove he is clean. And avoiding the truth by answering a slightly different question is on a par with lying - mind you, Bill Clinton's 'I never had sexual relations with that woman'  was stretching it a bit

;-)

Too right!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Daught of Dragon~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

19/01/2013 at 13:09

Any news yet Dragon? Hope all is progressing as it should.

I've showered and been for tea and cake with a new friend Home now and I don't intend going out again! Mr Daffs out all afternoon and evening, so going to set about regaining some semblance of order in the chaotic mound of rubble that calls itself our house... Might have a bath and an early night too What time can I get away with going to bed? About 4pm??

19/01/2013 at 13:59
37.53 in the parkrun this morning, not bad considering the snow and the fact that i haven't run at all since well before christmas!

i appear to be sorting out the cellar. certainly not intentional and i'm not entirely sure how it happened...
19/01/2013 at 14:02

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Dragons and Danielle~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of supportive vibes for you all, waiting eagerly for news. 

Oh Podds, you really are wonderful! Not only can you sort a washing machine (on top of all your other talents) but you have such a sane sense of priorities: "sod the fresh stuff I'm out of diet coke - way more important"  Too right!! 

Daffs, treble points for going in the snow, for sure! As a reward, in your case I would advise about half an hour of tidying, then a long bath and a leisurely evening, going to bed exactly when you want to!!

Yums, you are smart not to venture out on two wheels in this weather. Hope whatever falls tonight doesn't ruin your plans for tomorrow, tho---maybe you can switch the planned activity to a snowball fight?  And I agree re LA, it's truly sad that he's queered his own pitch for life, but I honestly see no way back for him. 

Good news: it's been raining all day and the roads are now pretty good, although our little lane is still icy. Bad news: more snow tonight. Worse news: NL is getting more snow and average temps of -10---brrrr for B2! Best news: chances for the Elfstedentocht are looking good! 

We managed to get to the little town for fresh stuff. It's a very small community and people know us now so it's really nice to meet so many friends. And we have plenty now for several days. We might get to church tomorrow, but if it snows a lot, I'm voting NO! 

19/01/2013 at 14:31
Well done Daffs

The only reason to have diet coke in the house is if there's rum available!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.