working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,481 to 214,500 of 235,778 messages
20/01/2013 at 09:31

Xpost Yums, I understand that feeling totally. Have you got a book can you snuggle on the sofa and have a read

Mr Spence is sleeping so I can't make a noise so I intend to do just that Bring on the uprising!!

20/01/2013 at 09:37

Good morning and many congratulations to the Dragon family

Don't know if to try to get out today or not very cold and icy at the moment will wait till later and have a rethink.
Remember winter of '63 well but sad to say (well not really) remember the even worse one of ' 47 when I could walk out of our garden over a 10ft hedge that was no longer visible and building a big igloo to play in.  and if I remember still had to wade through snow to school as ours never closed sad to say .

bad accident in the Glen coe area with people killed in an avalanche so Scotland can be deadly as well this time of year.

Time for more coffee.

20/01/2013 at 09:44

Don't know if I can do links anymore but will try

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242189/Cheer-At-1947--winter-power-cuts-TV-baths-children-sent-bed-dinner-wasnt-food.html.

Makes good reading and strange to see the river thames frozen over.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
20/01/2013 at 09:54

I also remember the 1963 winter well. The buses ran, but I lived at the top of a hill that was unusable for many weeks, the buses diverted to a longer route. This meant school as normal for me! I remember the milk was frozen. I liked the milk lollies , I didn't like it when the milk was put near the radiators to warm up! We were still made to go outside the school buildings during break times while the teachers stayed in nice and warm!!!

Not as many people had cars in those days so we were quite used to getting around under our own steam so to speak.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
20/01/2013 at 10:05

That's an intgeresting read Westie - and the government still get blamed .

I remember in other winters previous to 1963 (I don't go back as far as 1947) that it was every winter that the inside of the bedroom windows were frozen. My brother and I would put our warm fingers to the window to make a peephole to see if there was any snow! I used to get dressed under the bedcovers . It was seen as normal. Even in 1963 we didn't have central heating, but the house we lived in then had a big fire/oven, not exactly an aga, but my mother could put a huge pot of stew in the oven and let it cook slowly all day - delish .

XB
20/01/2013 at 10:07

Morning

And what wonderful news. Many congrats to the Dragon and all the dragon family.

I have no memory of the 1963 winter. In fact I have no memory of what I just had for brekkie. Or where I put my wallet.

I've intervalled, I'm about to shower. Then I'm doing a big brunch - croissants, pancakes, bacon and muffins. Bring a plate.

XB
20/01/2013 at 10:13

I sometimes wonder why I bother. Last night I decided to try something new for tea.
T2: Ewwwww, what's that yellow stuff?
Me: That, my lovely, is polenta.
T2: Yeuch. Isn't that what comes out after you've given birth.
Me: Good grief

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
20/01/2013 at 10:16

lol XB 

20/01/2013 at 11:00

HOOORAAAYYYY!!!!!  Congratulations to Granny Sue and famliy, and welcome to Miss Jasmine, who has to be the world's most beautiful baby (every baby is the most beautiful, of course---but every one really is!) Great news that she and Danielle are both well. Hope you get them home soon! 

What nice news to start the day ))))

Yums, people who are that inconsiderate should be coshed! Hope you enjoy the fresh air and exercise, tho. If you've been in all weekend it can be good to get out. . 

Westie, that's a fascinating article. I've heard a lot about the winter of 1963, when the North Sea froze, but less about 1947; I guess we often lump it into general postwar misery. As for now, if it's icy then be sensible and don't go out if you don't have to. Ice is horrid!

Spence, can I have some bread for lunch? Sounds great, even if the spelling is a bit off 

The snow arrived, as expected, so we are housebound again. But it's very pretty, and Rossie and I will go explore a bit this afternoon. 

20/01/2013 at 11:15

LOL T2 I will happily eat almost anything, bar one of two root veg and celery, so if you're looking for an appreciative dinner guest, XB, look no further

Westie, watch out if its icy - either than or put your skates on and give us a twirl, Anthea

*squeezes Spence's baps and makes childish parp, parp noise*

Chuggy, I hope that you've managed to train Rossie to rescue you over chilled white wine in from the snowed up shed.

No outing for me sadly, Chuggs Yes, Spence, I have oodles of books to read but I get bored - I seek thrills and challenges and yet today i have the Archers and bedstripping - in fact, I've just noticed that I still have the Christmas table cloth on the dining table - well, not entirely my fault as the boys have covered the table in books - hmmm, that just makes it sound worse!

20/01/2013 at 11:40
Lol XB!!
20/01/2013 at 12:31

Afternoon,

Congratulations Sue, Danielle and family  Such a relief that Jasmine arrived safely, and that mum and babe are well . I am sure there will be some anxious moments, and some sombre ones, with thoughts of Cara -  but predominantly love and joy for the new life.

Ouchy XB, I don't envy you the bruised bum!

(((Yummy))) boo to boredom and inconsiderate friends.

I remember the winter of '63, I was 5 years old and walked to school past snow-drifts that were taller than me. 1947 sounds truely dire! I also remember jack frost making patterns on the inside of the windows. In fact, I didn't live in a house with central heating until about 1985 (alhough nurses' homes were usually nicely heated). MS and I were having people over for dinner and we bought some frozen prawns in the morning. Eventually they had to go into a low oven to defrost as there was nowhere else warm enough - we went out and ordered central heating the next day!

No more snowfall here and non expected. However, the rain we were forecast ddn't come so there is still quite a bit of snow around on pavements. MS and I will pop into Poole as we have sme errands to run - I expect we will force ourselves to have a drink, at least, while we are there . Alfie is stretched out beside me on the bed - what more could a girl want?!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

20/01/2013 at 12:54

Tee hee hee T2.

Snowing quite well here.  Roast lamb is doing nicely, roasties, pasrnips, brocolli, carrots, and HL's magic gravy to go with it.

Now, here's a question for you in- the- know runners.  I read a feature in yesterdays Telegraph about Vibram Fivefingers.  The writer mentioned that they were helping realign her toes, this, in addition to the perceived merits whilst plodding.

Now, the Nog toes are not my best feature and the are getting worse.  Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether they'd help realign toes if I wore them as a recreational shoe?

20/01/2013 at 13:09
I suppose they might Noggs, they'd act like a sort of splint I think. But when you took them off your toes would probably go back to where they were so you'd have to wear them a lot. They might feel uncomfortable too while your toes acclimatise :0)

Well done WAISTer snow runners :0)

Huge congratulations Dragon and family :0)

I have visibly lost weight :0) Still having to hit the Nurofen but def feeling better. Thank dog for the Internet, apart from wanting to refer me for unpleasant surgery the doc was no help. I am hooked on Manuka honey!

I don't remember '63, but we were without central heating for honks and when we first got married. I used to get dressed in front of the paraffin heater :0) We had a sprinkle here, but the powers that be have had the Mountain road closed for days and its still shut now.

((((( waisters ))))
20/01/2013 at 13:11
* yonks! Not honks! Wretched iPad!
20/01/2013 at 14:38

honks / Snigger, Tubbs Silly Doc, good to hear that you're feeling better

Central heating is marvellous - I bled my bedroom radiator last week - oh, now my room is now as warm as the rest of the house although I tend to run it around 18 in use a blanky when snuggled on the sofa - kids love a blanky too

No idea, Noggs but as Tubbs suggests, you would have to wear them a lot I would think.

Westie, very sad about the climbers caught in the avalanche

I am taking mrs dawg out. I expect minor hilarity as its still snowing lightly and we've had around an inch so far this morning

20/01/2013 at 14:51

Xpost Yums, I understand that feeling totally. Have you got a book can you snuggle on the sofa and have a read

Mr Spence is sleeping so I can't make a noise so I intend to do just that Bring on the uprising!!

20/01/2013 at 14:53

00 for the littlest Dragon

20/01/2013 at 14:55

Oh pardon me

Been snowing all day here and doesn't look like it's going to stop!!

I've spent most of it sat reading my book pure heaven fab book too

20/01/2013 at 15:05

And now afternoon all

Great news re Dragonlet Sue - hope both are home soon

Yums - I too am going stir crazy although I have Mr P for company........been snowing steadily here since around 8am and now have around 3 inches so hardly earth shattering but already preparing mentally for the full scale panic of the locals (including a teacher colleague who already phoned me yesterday asking for a lift Monday as she's scared driving in the snow.......) for the Monday rush hour if it doesn't melt.................  Lots to do but CBA majorly and bored of reading and tv too

LOL XB - although I loathe polenta - even the stuff they made in mountain rifugios in northern Italy where it originated so I have some sympathy for twin 2

The DG and Sharkey love the snow and really enjoyed their walk it in this morning, the NV plods along with the same expression on his face as some London banker whose best Italian leather shoes are getting ruined    He really is such a London metrosexual that one!!

Why is it that when you have loads of time on your hands you don't want to do any of the things you should???????

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.