working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,501 to 214,520 of 233,784 messages
20/01/2013 at 15:08

Sue. I second all wot Sluggie said. She puts it so well! xxx

Sluggie, you will have earned that drink, navigating all the icy patches left  The slippery bits are the worst part of the fag end of snow! 

Westie, so sad about  the people caught in the avalanche. Glencoe can be a really cruel place.

Yums, nothing wrong with a Chrismas tablecloth, nice cheerful colours in these dark days! Hope Cush doesn't mind the snow TOO much....!!

Nogs. not sure VFF's would be firm enough to realign toes? I know there are special things to do this, and they seem to help some people. Look here and here and here and here. I've worn these for several years and they work for me!  BTW, start slow with any of these, especially if your feet are inflexible. When I started with Beech I could only sit in them (not stand!) for about 5 mins at a time. I can walk in them for hours now. 

Snow has melted quite a lot, and Ross and I actually had a walk instead of a slither! But it's still jolly cold, so a cozy evening in prospect. 

20/01/2013 at 15:09

Oh, and look at this for a really moving true dog story!!

20/01/2013 at 15:11

Sorry, Podds, didn't see you there. But I do love your way with words!! "the NV plods along with the same expression on his face as some London banker whose best Italian leather shoes are getting ruined"  

And "

Why is it that when you have loads of time on your hands you don't want to do any of the things you should???????" Wish I knew---if I did, I'd have done loads of them by now!!! 

BTW, did Mr P get anything useful from all those tests?? I know he was hoping to avoid surgery. 

20/01/2013 at 15:15

Teeny tiny bits of "snow-like" particles in the air. A few patches left on the pavements. I feel a little bit guilty for not running, but not that guilty!!!

We have had 2 nice walks yesterday and today though. Yesterday a man pulled up and wanted directions to Asda. We have a one-way system in the town centre which always makes directions a bit tricky. In the end he suggested we came with him and he'd drop us back somewhere, so we drove with him, and walked back (same distance, different direction)

Church service shortened because of the "inclement weather" (?) but it still lasted long enough. It would have been very long otherwise, so who's complaining!

20/01/2013 at 16:13

Seems like a good time for my first post, not long returned from a really enjoyable run in our local Bedgebury Forest, its a great place to run at the best of times, but snow covered, makes the effort of going out really worthwhile My partner Roni came with me, and although she is only just starting to run outdoors, (been working on treadmill) she could see why I keep going on about it ... Several Deer running was good to see, but were too fast to get on camra.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/703880/gallery/bedgebury1_0.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/703880/gallery/bedgebury2_0.jpg?width=350

Honest dear, there IS a trail here!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/703880/gallery/bedgebury3_0.jpg?width=350

And even just to see the look on peoples faces as we ran past made it worthwhile

All in all a lot of fun!

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 16:14
20/01/2013 at 16:52
Hi Cheesy you're in SHORTS !!!!?

I've had to stop reading to make dinner grrrrrrrr!!!

Such a good read

Friends children have measured the snow 20cm!
20/01/2013 at 17:02

Hi Cheesy,

Chuggs, thanks for the comprehensive response.  I've had a look at all of the sites and opted to try some 'correct toes'  I'll let you know how they go.

20/01/2013 at 17:19

Spence, calm down, just cos cheesy is in his shorts it doesn't mean your kids have to wait hours for their dinner

Hi Cheesy, that looks fantastic and well done Roni for joining you - where exactly is Bedgebury Forest ? Anyway, do tell us more about you and Roni -  any animals (that covers kids too)

Blimey, Pippi, that man might have been a mad axe murderer - thank goodness you only had a mini adventure - worship curtailed due to act of God ? ;-)

Awww, Chuggy, what a fantastic story and thankfully a happy ending  - even my hard heart is glowing

Podds, I have the image in my mind of your boys. Perhaps they didn't let the racing dawgs out in the snow but as previously homed pets, maybe DG and Sharkey  are more aware of snow ? Bless Cush was ok. She stood still and sniffed it for about a minute and then carried on as normal - apart from trying to shake the flakes of snow off herself.

I have cleared some snow and generally been a fountain of good deeds this arvo  -see my halo shine as DL would say

and now, the sun is past the yard arm - hoorah

M...eldy    pirate
20/01/2013 at 18:53

Evening all
Welcome Cheesy ... used to go to Bedgebury a lot as a child!   

I have made it in to town and back to visit the Bike Show and the Outdoor Show and the Boat show, London is as white as can be and I am not sure I wil be able to find my car in the morning as we have had a good old smattering as well, luckily no work until Tuesday but I doubt we will have a remarkable thaw by then

Welcome to the little Dragon ... dont forget to keep granny busy  

M...eldy    pirate
20/01/2013 at 18:54

The good thing about a lot of snow is that I can throw food out for the birds on to the sloping roof below the kitchen .. the GPO has been out with his spotters notebook
I had some leftover mixed peel rubbish from baking at Christmas and that went out the window and I had a whole squadron of gold finches having a field day !!!

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 18:54
20/01/2013 at 19:49

congratuations Granny Sue and family

Cheesy is gonna fit right in here, running in shorts in the snow is completely mad. I rest my case!

this weekend was Supposed to be our decorating free weekend, but no.  put up bed (who the fek invented alan keys, they are a frigging nightmare) Walked to town to gear up MrS with some decent shoes for his new job, cleaned windows, today we've wallpaper stripped all day, and still not finished it.  stripping wallpaper thats been painted is a right bugger.

I've started the Hunger Games book, I'm hooked.

no snow here, but OMG its freezing, walked to town yesterday and my ears and fingers nearly dropped off.

I've also dyed my hair

20/01/2013 at 19:52

The hair dying went wrong, VERY wrong, but I believe yellow is the new blond??? Right???

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/450041/gallery/oops.jpg?width=350

I have 2 meetings tomorrow at work, going to be very .  but it might break the ice!!!  So need an emergency hairdresser appt!

I had to google polenta, Iv'e never heard of it

M...eldy    pirate
20/01/2013 at 20:04

its about the same colour as your hair   

20/01/2013 at 20:14

LOL Meldy, work should be very interesting tomorrow, its a good job I can laugh about it. 

however I think I will hang up my hair dying gloves and leave it to the professionals!!!

MrS told me in the night it was like the sun was glowing in our room.....nope just the hair!   Git!!! 

M...eldy    pirate
20/01/2013 at 20:16

At least you know what colour to call it when they ask

20/01/2013 at 20:19
Oh dear Snaily!

Blanket closure of schools tomorrow !
A run it is then

For those on FB could you visit and share the stolen dog story please, don't know the people but its got my friggin blood boiling. Ta muchly

Snaily, they get even better haven't been able to put book two down!
XB
20/01/2013 at 20:26

Bloody hell. Why have they closed the schools? In my perfect world those staff that could get there would and, supported by parents, would entertain and educate those little darlings that managed to turn up.

My perfect world would also have an immediate cure for straw hair.

M...eldy    pirate
20/01/2013 at 20:30

and free chocolate

20/01/2013 at 20:37
XB I have no idea!!
The roads are bad but why don't they grit more!? Our school is down a sloping cul-de-sac it hasn't been gritted !!?

Still I've planned my day; run/Homes Under The Hammer/ finish second, get onto third book!!!

Lovely

Oh and my children suppose I best lol after them....

Pah, what the hell they're old enough to look after themselves
20/01/2013 at 20:41
CB, Trouble with the parent thing is they have to be CRB checked before they're allowed in to help.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.