working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,521 to 214,540 of 235,726 messages
20/01/2013 at 20:48

I suppose it does keep the roads clearer of traffic? I can't get over schools round here closing on Friday when there was a covering of snow. I think it had been played up a lot by the media, and I suppose if you are warned you won't make an unnecessary/unprepared journed then have to be rescued?

Our grapevine told us that teachers/staff would be required to report to nearest school to cover there - I think that's just a proposal though, not law, although someone was telling me that it was.

I've been making brandy snaps for Pippette's birthday tomorrow as i didn't make them at Christmas ("and you promised!!!" - no I didn't!). Mary Berry's tip of putting them on non-stick baking paper works a treat!

XB
20/01/2013 at 20:48

I thought that as long as there was a teacher in attendance then they wouldn't need an independent CRB

20/01/2013 at 20:50

My tease of a s-i-l has posted a pic on FB of "the new addition" ... it's a snowman!

20/01/2013 at 20:56
Ours are all checked!
20/01/2013 at 21:52
XB wrote (see)

Bloody hell. Why have they closed the schools? In my perfect world those staff that could get there would and, supported by parents, would entertain and educate those little darlings that managed to turn up.

Because we live in a world of general patheticness!!

My colleague phoned earlier and asked "are you going to try and make it in tomorrow?" - FFS ok so we've had about 4 inches of snow and our estate is never gritted but the main roads have been gritted and will be fine so all it requires is a little commensense careful driving through the estate!  Anyone would think we lived in the depths of the country (rather than a mere 6 miles away) and had had 4 feet not 4 inches   so lucky old me gets to drive her in tomorrow!

Mind you although it will save me from a nervous passenger tomorrow I shall be well miffed if we get closed tomorrow - it would be height of silliness.......

XB wrote (see)

I thought that as long as there was a teacher in attendance then they wouldn't need an independent CRB

That's right - so long as they are not alone "unsupervised" with kids they are legal (or at least that's the case for secondary schools..................) and in fact a List 99 has to be done if they've been out for 3 months or more but is practically instantaneous

20/01/2013 at 22:16
In my experience tho everyone is scared of letting people near kids without a CRB check. It's gone crazy.

And on that note I'm off to bed. Soz for the glow but I seem to be getting yellow'er!
20/01/2013 at 22:31

Oh dear Snaily.........

I'd just tell everyone you did it to cheer them all up as January can be such a miserable month

21/01/2013 at 07:18

Saily, Podds has a point, MSN News suggests that to beat miserable mad Monday, people wear dayglo to work.

Good luck to all those travelling/working etc today

*slaps Spence* try not to enjoy yourself too much

No 2 is bleating because his school is open - teachers wont get there, pavement is slippery- I pointed out I wasn't getting the day off, that having to walk would add around an hour  to my journey overall, therefore I would have to stay later and he better man up.

Parenting Podds style

Happy birthday, Pippette

21/01/2013 at 08:28

Morning

my are in their unforms crying because school is closed.

Yeah right...

I'm pleased to announce during my first week of eating well I have lost 1:5lb

and for the first time ever I must concede that eating cake/biscuits/chocci does indeed make you feel carp!  because having cut out the high sugar rubbish I feel so much better in myself

I have eaten a lot, but all good stuff ! and listening to the simple stuff that Paul McK says

Let's hope I can make it through week two

I'm getting ready for a run in snow

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
21/01/2013 at 08:57
Morning.

Things you forget once you've outgrown your own children -

Weekends are for getting up bright eyed and energetic at 5am

Weekdays are for sleeping as long as possible and taking a very very long time to dress and eat breakfast.

Losing shoes and homework is the law on a Monday morning.

Aaaaaarghhhhhh!

They are now safely deposited at breakfast club having already had one breakfast wheeeew!
21/01/2013 at 08:59

Morning

3 miles completed in lovely powdery ankle deep snow - doesn't do too much for your "speed" mind but worth it to blow away the Monday morning work cobwebs

Somewhat spoilt by having to drive panicy colleague into work...........

Now in work listening to the drivelling parents moaning because pupil absence will be unauthorised today if they keep their child off school for snow.............wonder how many will suddenly be "ill" to try to avoid this?  I really can't see how with all the main road clear and the side roads passable with care, all buses and trains in the local area running and 90% of our pupils living within a mile of school (i.e. walkable) anyone should be off!

Yums - excellent Podds parenting

Right - stuff to get done today!

21/01/2013 at 09:03
enjoy spence!

i'm afraid at the slightest chance of snow i refuse to take the car anyway. i have no interest whatsoever in sliding round, heart in mouth, risking slipping around and colliding with cars, people, trees. if i can't walk or get there on public transport then i don't go, simple. and i don't care if you all think i'm pathetic!

did walk 2.5 miles to the station in it at 6.30 this morning though, was quite fun making the first foot prints!

congratulations to the dragon family!! hope they're both home soon xx

and welcome cheesy - but shorts?? really???
21/01/2013 at 09:14

Morning each,

I've tried to write something about the 'school closure because of a dusting of snow' then deleted several efforts as they just come out too angry.  Perhaps our national patheticness (made up word) needs little comment from me.

We've had another couple inches of snow here which is unusual as weather is normally something that affects other parts of the country.

Just over £400 for a set of winter tyres that'll last a few years and most of our road transport problems would be sorted.  It's what happens in the mountains of Europe.

I'mm off for a turbo session while HL is at the gym.

21/01/2013 at 09:17

Morning all, more snow so may have to stay off school today . I don't mind the snow but object to trying to run in a blizzard is a step too far in my book so will wait and see for later.Just means that my "training " for my half month after next is out of the window so may have to abort . I'm not going to walk round for 13.1 mile  but have an outside chance of jog / walking, I have never done a race like that before but it may be my only chance of getting round in a reasonable time ( sub 2.75 hours lol ). So question for the run walkers XB et al what would be a sensible ratio for me to try taking into account my senior years lol.

Well done on the weight loss spence just shows what a visit to the WC does before a weigh in ..

anyway coffee pot on again  CUL

21/01/2013 at 09:43

Now then Westie - stop skiving and get yourself into school right this minute young man 

Noggs - I know what you mean - I am having to keep a very tight rein on myself currently!! 

Daffs - snow driving is not difficult but if you don't want to that's fine in my book as you make an effort to get there by other means  The pathetic types make no attempt to get anywhere!!

I've just checked and one of the wierdo mothers who was moaning last week (and who lives near me!) has kept her daughter off today - I was sure she would    I know her road and the route in is passable quite easily as it's my route..........silly old trout that she is!!

21/01/2013 at 09:54
I've walked two halves Westie, one in 3.15 and the other 3.07. Jog and walk would smash it no problem :0) I'm not a fast walker and had the distinction of coming last :0)

Blue and I walked in the snow last night, it wasn't sticking, except to my glasses :0) Fingers crossed I get my new ones this week - third lot in less than 12 months. Hopefully I'll be legal to drive again, it's a pain not being able to.

Mountain road still closed, not much snow elsewhere, schools are open :0)

" The Sun has got her hat on
Hip hip hip hooray
The sun has put his shades on
Cos our Snaily's on her way" :0)

My only attempt at hair colour resulted in cat sick green :0)

((((( waisters )))))
21/01/2013 at 10:11

Hi Thanks for the welcomes

Is there a separate place to introduce? or just blurb it all out here?

I normally do just run in shorts ... well, a top too. its not as cold as you may think, and I tend to have 3 or 4 layers to keep body warm, I dont like getting toooo hot! and as legs make good radiators, tend to stick with shorts. It also scares the squirrels away! Quite happy down to a few below like that, but in all fairness, there is a pair of lined joggers in my backpack just in case!

The actual snow was easy ish to run in, trail shoes do grip well then, the problems came when we got back on the main road to go to the car, it was slippery as S*** and caused us more trouble than the whole of the previous run! I dont particularly like road running at the best of times though.

Spence: Sorry for intereupting dinner duties! Ive been told before to not show them in public places

Yums: Bedgebury is on the Kent/Sussex border on the A21 at Flimwell. I cycle and run there a lot. Up until early December was doing 3 * 10 milers + a week after work, (its on the way home) its such an amaising place at night,  very quiet so I can drift off into my own little world for a while. Depending on which part you go to, it also has a good selection of hills, so you can get a good workout on very different terrain all in one run. I havent tried running the red bike route yet, for now that will stay for my bike. One day ...

Is there a 'proper' place to put intros or just blurt it out here? Although I have been lurking for many months cant really say Ive noticed one. I have been trying to get Roni to join the forum, she hasnt done yet, just looks over my shoulder.

M...Eldy: Its still a really popular place, loads of kiddies out with sledges yesterday, mainly near the entrances! they were having as much fun as us, although many parents looked as if they would have preffered to be at home in the warm.

Snaily: what are you saying! Shorts and snow = character building, or was it stupidity, cant remember now How did the meetings go with your new, um, colour hair? Polenta is a good description!

Nog: 'our national patheticness' Love it! thats now part of my vocab, very fitting and much more polite than my usual version

'bout time I did some work, laters all

Edited: 21/01/2013 at 10:14
21/01/2013 at 10:32

Morning

Cheesy just blurb away on here!!!

We havent even had a flutter of the white stuff, everyone is disappointed, where as I am particularly cheery about it.  Love snow at the weekends when you dont have to go anywhere, but in rush hour traffic its a nightmare.  But its bloody cold, -2 this morning, but no ice or frost.  Paignton is very weird.

Daffs I think you have a sensible view of travelling in the snow, if everyone was the same there would be no issues.  It makes me more nervous driving when idiots dont take extra care.

Well done Spence, I'm waiting for my McK book to arrive for some inspirational advice (not like I've heard it all before!!!)  But I'm putting in some effort on the food front anyway in the hope that it becomes "routine".

Tubsterr wrote (see)
" The Sun has got her hat on
Hip hip hip hooray
The sun has put his shades on
Cos our Snaily's on her way" :0)

Love it hee hee.

I did get a strange look at my meeting, and I did make a joke about it being "sunshine" hair.   Only have one other meeting this afternoon and I'm then keeping my diary clear all week!!!

All this talk of snow running, think I might go for a plod tonight, the cold weather was putting me off, but I know once I'm out there I'll enjoy it.  And I have build in extra safety now with my reflective hair!!!

Right better do some work

21/01/2013 at 10:35

Nice song Tubs 

Welcome back Cheesy - glad we didn't scare you off

This thread is one just to jump into and enjoy - it's been going for years (coming up 9 I think!), some of us are sad enough to have been here for all those years too  whereas others have joined more recently but are none the less welcome for it!

We are incredibly nosy and like to know everything about everyone  There's usually someone around to chat to about just about anything under the sun - occasionally actual training but more often than not we are busy putting the world to rights.............. Generally read back a bit to see what you missed since you last posted and then jump right in!

Oh and by virtue of your location you get to join the Southern Softies division of the WAISTers as opposed to the Northern Nutcases

PS Glad you get grief for the shorts  - I get it for wearing 3/4s in the winter but so long as I've got my hat and gloves and sufficient upper layers the legs rarely get fully covered!

21/01/2013 at 10:36

LOL at your safety hair Snaily 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.