working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

214,761 to 214,780 of 233,063 messages
XB
29/01/2013 at 14:39

Sorry, didn't see you there Carl. Hi and welcome.

29/01/2013 at 14:53

Welcome Carl and good for you for starting running, and especially for giving up smoking 

Be wary of doing too much too soon and too fast, its far less painfull to build up slowly, you mind may be able to do more, but can your muscles cope with it yet!

Have you tried something like a couch to 5k program? they tend to ease you into it with less chance of getting calf/shin/other injuries early on which can be demotivating. you could always start it halfway through as your already doing quite well for 5 weeks  do you have an idea of your speed/pace on these runs? slow is better at this stage, although it probably wont seem like it.

and yes, running is more addictive than nicotine, and without the same antisocial side effects 

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 14:53
29/01/2013 at 15:37

Afternoon,

Hello and welcome, Carl. Well done on giving up the weed! Cheesy is quite correct in saying that the couch to 5k program is very good.

(((Daffs)))

(((Dragon))), I hopethat today went better thn expected.

(((Tubs))) Well done on the wight loss though! Oskar looks adorable, Alfie is currently in a similar position at the foot of my bed. He has been a little monkey today, constantly wanting me to play with him cos he doesn't like the weather outside.

Snaily, that day sounds tiresome, I hope that the training is useful after all that travelling.

I have done a sluggie with MS, I had a nice salmon and prawn pasta but couldn't eat it all cos it was very rich.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

29/01/2013 at 16:57

*whoosh*

Hello all

*waves and disappears again*

29/01/2013 at 16:59

Whoa! Took me half an hour to read back, and it's only been 24 hours! 

(((((((((((((((((((((Sue)))))))))))))))))))

A painful start to what sounded like a rather trying day. Hope by the evening you will be feeling better on all fronts. xxx

(((((((((((((((((((((Daffs)))))))))))))))

Sue is very wise, do what she says---but if nothing comes of that, then just be very nice to yourself. Everyone needs to hibernate a bit sometimes, mentally if not literally. xxxxxxxxx

Hi Carl, and welcome. Good job with getting rid of the weed, not an easy one! And you can listen to Cheesy with confidence 

((((((((((((((Tubs))))))))))))

Glad you're pain-free now, but what a nuisance to have to be THAT careful...... still, you have Oskar to distract you, and he is VERY distracting! 

Sluggie, it's really lovely that Alfie has become so attached to you. There was a time when you were a bit afraid he'd wander off, but clearly he knows where he's well-suited 

Melds, congratulations on the sore calves, as they seem to be just what you wanted!  Guess it's a good sign...

Westie, getting out there at all in the weather you have been having is the stuff of medals! No wonder you're Scott's dad! 

FarFar, glad you're managing to get out often enough to give yourself a lift. Not been an easy winter.

Pippi, sorry I missed the music programme. Anyone who will explain things THAT simply (train tracks = parallel lines) sounds like my kinda guy! 

Had friends over for lunch: aboyut 10 years ago their old farmhouse caught fire, one of their three sons was killed, a second was so badly burnt that he will probably never be able to live independently, and the lady had oxygen shortage and now cannot move very fast or speak very clearly. Makes you count your blessings.

Speaking of which, C1 is sleeping a lot and making good, if slow progress. The bf, amazingly, is no support at all: she says at least it means she can plan her own life with no worries about him! Managed to find a Dutch shop in Oz that does mail order so she will get a few goodies that taste like home.... And she really, really apreciates all the vibes from everyone, and so do we. xxx

Now packing four our trip back to the flatlands tomorrow. Since Beatrix is handing over to Alex on 30 April,  we are thinking of re-jigging our schedule to be in NL then: the atmosphere will be fantastic, and you don't see this more than a couple of times in a lifetime. Fun stuff!

29/01/2013 at 17:56

ahhh Tubbs you have the most beautiful pussy I've ever seen  

Welcome Carl, well done on giving up the fags

safe journey Chuggs

Hurrah for C1, boo to the bf is he getting the heave ho!?

I've been teaching daught how to mitre the corners when making up her new bed!

M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 18:02

Hello, good evening and welcome

Carl ..you are on the right track, look at the Couch to 5k, you may well be beyond that at the moment but look at how the distances and times increase nice and slowly

I have run and gymned and I can smell dinner cooking 
(I'll look out the recipe in a mo)

XB
29/01/2013 at 18:09

Mitred corners on a bed are a sure sign that you've got too much time on your hands.

Pilates for me tonight.

I bet the dutch will throw a good old coronation party.

M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 18:10

Disagree XB

All corners should be mitred.

XB
29/01/2013 at 18:19

How the heck would you get into bed if all the corners were mitred.

M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 18:30
29/01/2013 at 18:36
Gotta have mitred corners XB, looks nice and neat, I've sent many a chambermaid back to re make an unmitred bed!!

Where's a pic of your new shooozies Melds!?
29/01/2013 at 18:37
Oh it's got chicken in it
M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 18:37

On twitter 

M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 18:43

I. am. stuffed.

29/01/2013 at 18:47
Well I know it's on Twitter cos I seen them but t'others haven't !!
M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 18:51

Well take the chicken out then!!!!

I am sure a woman of your calibre can alter a menu without permission  

29/01/2013 at 19:11

Whoa! Is it really the case that Meldy's shoes are in the risotto? Or did I misunderstand and the chicken is in Melds' new shoes??

I like mitred corners, but only cos they're easier 

And I reckon XB is right about that party! 

29/01/2013 at 19:16

hi guys thanks for your advice will take it on board, in response to cheesyrider my speed is about 10 minute mile, oh one more thing, what are your thoughts on bare foot running (vibram) im using nb minimus.

M...eldy    pirate
29/01/2013 at 19:28

If you are already in NB minimus then the transition should not be too bad .. any change should be done slowly and carefully 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.